Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Re: Thanks NukeWorker!

Author Topic: Re: Thanks NukeWorker!  (Read 16401 times)

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Thanks NukeWorker!
« on: Oct 14, 2011, 01:29 »
Sucker. I mean, Good Luck!

drayer54

« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2011, 01:41 »
You read everything on here and still want to be a nuke?

:-\ ::)

Good Luck!

-- Derek

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2011, 01:49 »
We snared another unsuspecting victim :)

I won't say good luck because I believe we create our own luck. So work hard and you'll be quite all right!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2011, 03:20 »
Congratulations!
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DS358

• Nuke-In-Training
  • Light User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2011, 03:26 »
Thanks guys. At first I was worried about which rating to put on my dream sheet, but after reading this site I understand that my preference doesn't really matter. I believe I have a decent understanding of the rates and the pros and cons of each. I just want to get through school and onto a sub and give 110% the whole way through. I am married with two kids and want to secure a good future for my family. I believe I chose the correct career path.  I also know that I am putting the cart before the horse, but I eventually want to work in the commercial nuclear industry. If I put in my end towards my training, I am sure I will spend many years on these forums.

-Derek
-Future Submarine Nuke ET

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2011, 03:29 »
The spending time here and sharing your experiences would be nice. Too often, for one reason or another, people's stay here is brief. Stick it out and contribute. A married guy with a couple of kids traveling the path, successfully, would be invaluable to the site.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

drayer54

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2011, 04:32 »
Thanks guys. At first I was worried about which rating to put on my dream sheet, but after reading this site I understand that my preference doesn't really matter. I believe I have a decent understanding of the rates and the pros and cons of each. I just want to get through school and onto a sub and give 110% the whole way through. I am married with two kids and want to secure a good future for my family. I believe I chose the correct career path.  I also know that I am putting the cart before the horse, but I eventually want to work in the commercial nuclear industry. If I put in my end towards my training, I am sure I will spend many years on these forums.

-Derek
The wife and two coupons make Carriers nice with that steady flow of email. Something to think about before you sign the sub paper.

You can always go to the library that is 3 decks above the gift shop and email home. From what I have gathered, subs aren't the same.

Just thought you might want to know your options. I never envied the guys deploying with kids. It could help.

-Derek

Offline DS358

• Nuke-In-Training
  • Light User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2011, 05:05 »
I have heard that people with prior sub service are more marketable after. My dad is retired navy, he was an STS originally. I know it will be difficult for my family, but I think it will be the best for the future. I am trying to think long term.

Samabby

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2011, 10:39 »
Boot camp advise:

Ask the person who has the last fire watch wake you up 10 minutes before everyone else. Use this time to get fully squared away & stay ahead of the curve.

Good luck & thanks for your service, son.

Offline DS358

• Nuke-In-Training
  • Light User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2011, 06:50 »
Thanks for the advice.  I do have a question about the new GI bill though: with on-the-job training now included in GI bill 2.0, is there a reason to pay up for the Montgomery GI bill?  I don't know when I have to make a decision on whether I want the Montgomery GI bill by, but want to be prepared for it when I go to boot camp.  I am thinking of going with the new GI bill, but want to see if anyone has a reason to steer away from it.  Thanks in advance.

-Derek

Offline bigbrentos

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2011, 05:20 »
Congratulations, are you going November 2, 2011? I re-rated in September from sonar to nuke while in DEP and my current ship date is now May 2, 2012  >:(! Also, make sure to look more in to the posts about carriers and subs and the getting out of the Navy sections. Though I'm new to everything here myself, a lot of my research on here has shown that there isn't terribly much difference to your civilian career on whether you were a submariner or a skimmer.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2011, 05:27 »
Is the montgomery GI bill even an option now???

either way, no do NOT pay into the montgomery GI bill if it still exists.

Offline CT-Mike

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2011, 08:24 »
I think the only mistake you made was your ship date to RTC. Do you realize how cold it is in Great Lakes, Il during the winter time.

Thanks for your future service.

BTW, sub sailors can now send and receive one e-mail per day (400 word limit I believe). Of course that gets instituted after I retire.

j0nathan

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2011, 09:05 »
Sweet. I ship out Nov. 2nd also hope to see you there

Offline Cleaver6

• Light User
  • Strive for perfection, but retain humility.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2011, 05:56 »
My son ships on November 9. Your paths will probably cross somewhere down the road. Good luck.
Ex-Marine avionics tech; father of prospective sailor.

Offline tingkka

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:17 »
Each rating is different.  ET's and ELT's tend to work the least and get paid the most bonuses with highest multiples.  They are the ones to least stay in the Navy.  Advancements are faster with ET's because senior ET's leave the Navy for the (easy) $100k jobs. 
ELT's on the other hand, you have to be an MM to be an ELT.  If you get MM but don't like being a mechanic, i highly recommend you go ELT.  However, you'll be doing the same thing day in and day out....  Sample after sample...

EM's life just suck.  If you're an EM, tough it out and work on your EWS quals.  Your advancement as EM's suck.  Their bonus are the lowest.  Their multiples are the lowest.  They work the longest hours.  I have not seen a single EM leave the boat earlier than 1600.  They regularly leave around 1700-2000.  All I can say is, if you get EM, keep your head up and work on your EWS quals.

MM's are like EM's but with less crappiness while working with machines.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:47 »
ET's leave the Navy for the (easy) $100k jobs. 

You're misinformed.

Offline tingkka

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:54 »
You're misinformed.

Most ET's I've known left the Navy going for the $100k+, civilian nuclear plant or otherwise. 
Either the batch of people whom i've known are either lucky or that's what the going rate for ET's are.
Granted, they were all EWS qualified.

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:10 »
Most ET's I've known left the Navy going for the $100k+, civilian nuclear plant or otherwise. 
Either the batch of people whom i've known are either lucky or that's what the going rate for ET's are.

Clueless NUB. Why are you giving advice on ratings?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:39 »

The point was, it isn't limited to ETs.

I have worked at 3 commercial facilities, 2 as an SRO, an ETs are the minority.

Offline tingkka

• Light User
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:43 »
The point was, it isn't limited to ETs.

I have worked at 3 commercial facilities, 2 as an SRO, an ETs are the minority.

I never said ET's are the majority.  What I'm saying is that ET's advance at a much faster rate and have better multiples.  And from my experience, most ETs leave because of better jobs outside of the Navy after spending 10 years in Navy. 
I never said MMs or EMs have it worse getting out.  I just don't know about their life after they get out and most EMs i've known re-enlist and stay in despite the hard work they put out.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:44 »
I never said ET's are the majority.  What I'm saying is that ET's advance at a much faster rate and have better multiples.  And from my experience, most ETs leave because of better jobs outside of the Navy after spending 10 years in Navy.  
I never said MMs or EMs have it worse getting out.  I just don't know about their life after they get out and most EMs i've known re-enlist and stay in despite the hard work they put out.

I didn't say you said that. You chose to share you experience, and I shared mine. I actually work in the industry..., so whose do you think is more accurate to the real world?

In the small sample of people you know, it is their EWS quals that mattered, not being an ET.

My whole point of bickering with you is, that it isn't right to set people up with a false expectation of 100K+ jobs simply by being an ET. It isn't true. It has been covered many times here before, but to us, the industry, your rate matters little. An enlisted nuke is an enlisted nuke..., simple as that.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2011, 08:48 by TheHiggs »

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:44 »
Higgs,

Correct says this Lazy non working ELT who has 3 Licenses and has been Shift Manager qualified on boyth a BWR and a Westinghouse 4 Loop PWR.

Then again what do I know!

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:45 »
I never said ET's are the majority.  What I'm saying is that ET's advance at a much faster rate and have better multiples.  And from my experience, most ETs leave because of better jobs outside of the Navy after spending 10 years in Navy. 
I never said MMs or EMs have it worse getting out.  I just don't know about their life after they get out and most EMs i've known re-enlist and stay in despite the hard work they put out.

I was a first class in 4 years 4 months. Others were close. MMs.

You do not know what you are talking about.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:50 »
and most EMs i've known re-enlist and stay in despite the hard work they put out.

Then EMs are either:

1) abnormally filled with lifer diggits

2) in a rating that is pretty cake and doesn't require much learning past A School and a small number of job tasks. Gimme another "Twilight" novel for my load toad watch...

3) hampered in civvie job searches by the routine nature of their limited job scope and lack of integrated plant knowledge that might translate to an NLO skillset in CIVLANT, much safer to play hearts on the mess deck and ship over for $40K and another WestPac as LPO

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2011, 08:52 by HydroDave63 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?