Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NAPT or ASVAB?  

Author Topic: NAPT or ASVAB?  (Read 10007 times)

Offline warehimer33

• Very Lite User
NAPT or ASVAB?
« on: Oct 06, 2012, 05:16 »
I think I posted this in the wrong section before but I think this is the right section. I took the ASVAB and scored an 89 AFQT with a NUC line score of 247. The alpha qualification for the NUC line score is 252. My recruiter wants to know if I want to take the ASVAB again or if I want to take the NAPT. I'm leaning more toward taking the NAPT because I think it's the VE on the ASVAB that's bringing my score down. I'm comfortable with Alg. 1 & 2, Pre-Calc, a little Chem, and I could probably do 2-3 Physics questions. I never took Physics, obviously.  I'm scared I'll get a lower score if I take the ASVAB again but I also know that I can only retake the NAPT if I score a 55. Do you think I should take the NAPT or take the ASVAB again? Oh, and another question, if I wanted my NUC score to be 290 would I only need to get a 43 on the NAPT or do I still need to score a 55 to even pass the NAPT? or does scoring a 55 on the NAPT just to allow me to retest? Confusing. Sorry if I'm repeating anything on this site but I've looked and haven't found anything quite as specific as what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Offline navynukehopeful

• Very Lite User
Re: NAPT or ASVAB?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2012, 11:38 »
I've taken both the ASVAB and the NAPT, and I found the NAPT to be a little bit easier, but it's a little heavier on the physics area of science. The test contains basic physics knowledge, but if you've never taken a physics course, you may find it to be challenging. Do you have at least a basic comprehension of physics?

I can't confidently answer your second question. Scoring a 55 on the NAPT is required to enter the nuclear program, from what I'm told. I don't believe that you would need to retest if you scored above a 55.

DSO

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2012, 01:28 »
Take 2 weeks and study a basic physics book like I did and take the NAPT....I had Physics one year my senior year of high scholl and didnt remeber crap 4 years later but studying a book for 2 wweks got me a 69 NAPT....Only had high school Algebra 1 & 2 also....

Offline warehimer33

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2012, 10:38 »
I really only know the basic of basic Physics, like formulas. I know velocity, force, a little bit on pulleys, and that's pretty much it. When you studied a Physics book how did you do so? by reading the whole thing? How many Physics problems would you say were on there out of the 80, just a guesstimate? I really hate that my recruiters are holding out on giving me all my line scores because I would be able to see what area I did poorly in... -_-

DSO

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2012, 04:03 »
Sorry guy I took the NFQT in late 1984 and dont remember much except that when I was almost done the recruiter walked in and said that I shouldnt be using a calculator. We agreed that I never took the test that day and that I would take it again without the violating calculator in 2 weeks and that it would be a different test. I did take it again in 2 weeks....without the calculator and scored 72 instead of 69 the first time. It was the same exact test. ;D I do remember it was just a basic physics book that I studied from library and there was some basic acceleration, force etc problems on the exam but can't remember how many. Prorbaly not that many <10?

Offline warehimer33

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2012, 02:39 »
Yeah, I just got one those small CliffsNotes books. I heard a good form of practice is studying the Officer Candidate Test. I took the math and didn't do too bad. I'm good with math, it's just the Physics and Chemistry I'm worried about. I think once I take it I'll be like, "That wasn't too bad", but right now I'm just trying to prepare and it's freaking me out. I mean, it's this one test that will decide my Navy career. haha No pressure. I know it's an aptitude test but it would be nice to know the exact topics that are on it, but then again, almost anybody would be able to just study for it and it wouldn't be measuring true knowledge. Another thing I'm worried about is my recruiter. It seems kinda sketchy how he tells me he can't access my scores because of this new "regulation" yet he knows I have to take the NAPT. I have yet to see all my scores. I just glanced at my NUC score and AFQT at MEPS but I'm not sure if I qualify with a different combination of line scores. I don't know. I just don't like how long and meticulous this process is.

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2012, 11:32 »
My son scored a 99 on the AFQT and his NUC line score was around 280 range don't remember the exact #, but he was auto-qualified.  Well he had to go back to MEPs again for a different reason because the nuc coordinator was not there the first time for the interview,  and somehow on the second visit the son wound up getting corralled in with another group that needed to take the NAPT.  He went into the test cold, did not even know what a NAPT was  or he that would even be taking another test that day.  He scored a 69.  He said it was easy, you just had to know how to solve basic algebra equations.

This was back in January, 2010 if it makes any difference.

I would not worry about the NAPT you only have to get 55 right out of 80 questions to pass.
Dad of a 22 year old ETN.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?