Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Training

Author Topic: Nuke Training  (Read 8207 times)

Jeveroettn

Nuke Training
« on: Nov 03, 2004, 11:47 »
Once you get down to Charleston for A school, after boot camp, is it possible to take leave during A school, or ever?  There will be some important events going on back home while I'm training there, not that they can be considered emergencies, but I would still like to be home for them if possible.  Do you have to wait for holiday weekends or are you not allowed to leave at all? 
Also, how does the liberty time work?  How far are you allowed to go from base?  Is it ever possible to stay out all night, or do you have to report back to base at a certain time? 

Thanks

ODiesel

Re: Nuke Training
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2004, 03:25 »
You are only allowed to take leave between schools. After you complete A-School you are allowed up to two weeks. The same applies between Power School and Prototype. As far as liberty goes, you have the weekends off(except the time required for homework and studying). You are allowed to stay out all night after 4 weeks of training and proving that you can handle you job. That privelage can be taken away very quickly if you abuse it. You can go anywhere you want in the local area, but if you want to travel there is a certain radius you have to say within. It was 200 miles when I was a student, it may have changed.  Any other questions let me know, I'm glad to help!!

EM2 O'D
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2004, 08:20 by ODiesel »

Handgimp

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2004, 05:30 »
There are 50-400 mile chits to fill out, and >400 mile chits. 50-400 miles was no big deal when I first got here, but they seem to be placing more emphasis on them. You're not likely to get a >400 mile chit approved unless it's a long weekend (such as Thanksgiving). Lots of folks in my section are going real far away for that, since we get a four day weekend. Also, there's a ten day Christmas standdown when you can take leave. If you're on T-Track (the limbo between A-School and Power School) for an extended period of time, you can usually take a little leave.

eric9dodge

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2004, 08:51 »
I know this sounds a little rough, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.  Weekend chits will almost always be awarded in the Navy if you have some special event, i.e. a Wedding, but the point of the training school is to go there and learn as much as you can in as little time as possible.  Also, the restricted time there gets most people used to being away from their home which, in turn, makes it a little easier by the time you get to your boat/ship. 

I know people will say it all the time and I hated it when it was said, but you are being paid to go to school!  Well, looking back on it all now, that is the honest truth. 

One more comment...  I joined a year after I graduated H.S., so the Navy was sort of my trip into man-hood.  When I look back at A-School, NPS and Prototype, I think that those were some of the best times I had!  I really had a tight group of 7-9 guys that were 'stuck' together for well over a year and a half.  Six of us ended up renting a house together in NY and it was great!  I turned 21 up in NY and that was great too.  Good times.  Wish I could go back to them now.. haha! (with the exception of the whole it sucks to be there studying thing).

-Eric

WXMel

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2005, 02:33 »
My boyfriend arrives in South Carolina for "A" schoo on Sunday, Jan 30l, but he has a whole week before school actually starts.  He is going to request leave to come home (Texas) to get some of his personal belongings.  Being that he will still be in the first phase where he can't leave base on the weekends, and just having come from boot camp, do you think that there is any chance that he might actually get that leave?  Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but it seems doubtful to me.

Adidas2806

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2005, 01:54 »
I just graduated bootcamp on the 7th and made it here to SC on the 9th. They do not allow any leave between bootcamp and A school, the only ones that got to were the students who graduated bootcamp the week before christmas, they allowed them to take leave before reporting to NNPTC. Since theres no major holidays around jan 30th, he is almost certainly not going to be allowed to take leave. Other stdents with me asked the same question about going home to retrieve personal items, they said to just have them shipped to you. and everyone in my group had 2 weeks between bootcamp and our class up here at NNPTC!!!

taterhead

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2005, 06:23 »
  Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but it seems doubtful to me.

Good thinking-

Doubtful is a good prognosis, but I have seen stranger things happen.  Remember, it never hurts to run a chit (request).  The worst they can do it say "no"-

donthaveacurefor

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2005, 12:05 »
no leave from boot camp to a-school.

most people are allowed leave from a-achool to power school... unless you are one of the last classes in your feeder group. if you do get leave, i recommend RAP duty... you five extra days leave, and its 'free'... all you have to do is work at a recriuter's office for those five days. i JUST graduated a-school this past friday, and i get leave in the beginning of march(4th to the 20th). the reason my leave is so late is because they need people for standing watch, beings that there is a power school class up soon, and my a-school class is the first one of our feeder group.

and from power school to prototype, you are allowed one to two weeks.

i hope that helps

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?