Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The NUPOC Program...Pros and Cons honeypot

Poll

Please provide an objective account of your NUPOC experience and what you found most beneficial, useless, etc.

Informative
1 (100%)
Detailed
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: The NUPOC Program...Pros and Cons  (Read 9932 times)

Offline wadswom

• Lurker
The NUPOC Program...Pros and Cons
« on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:09 »
Hello Everyone,  

I am a junior Chemistry major with a minor in Physics. After this week, I will be cleared to continue with my NUPOC application and will be setting up a time to conduct my phone interview. I have been researching this program the past 6 months and have pretty much narrowed down my career options to either Medical School or the NUPOC program. I know to some the choice is obvious, and I respect that, but what I am trying to do is figure out which program is the right one for me out of college. The way I see it, I can always go to medical school after this program, if that is my path, but the opportunity to become a Navy Nuke might be difficult after graduating from college.  

My question is, can anyone provide me with a fairly objective account of their NUPOC experience and what he/she found most beneficial, useless, etc.  I know the decision comes down to what I want, but I like to make important decisions like this with as much "data" (call it whatever you want) as possible.  I ask that if you chose to respond, please keep it professional and informative.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: The NUPOC Program...Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:45 »
I ask that if you chose to respond, please keep it professional and informative.

50 Quatloos against.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2013, 10:47 by Marlin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:54 »
Hello Everyone,  

I am a junior Chemistry major with a minor in Physics. After this week, I will be cleared to continue with my NUPOC application and will be setting up a time to conduct my phone interview. I have been researching this program the past 6 months and have pretty much narrowed down my career options to either Medical School or the NUPOC program. I know to some the choice is obvious, and I respect that, but what I am trying to do is figure out which program is the right one for me out of college. The way I see it, I can always go to medical school after this program, if that is my path, but the opportunity to become a Navy Nuke might be difficult after graduating from college.  

My question is, can anyone provide me with a fairly objective account of their NUPOC experience and what he/she found most beneficial, useless, etc.  I know the decision comes down to what I want, but I like to make important decisions like this with as much "data" (call it whatever you want) as possible.  I ask that if you chose to respond, please keep it professional and informative.

Sorry about the post above but if you had lurked a little more you may have seen the futility of your request. You would have seen the frequent admonition to search first. There are a number or regular posters who can help you, I suspect the first help you will get will be:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

motorhead584

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2013, 11:13 »
I cant speak to NUPOC since I am enlisted but think about the time your going to owe the Navy once commissioned, among a host of other things. "I can always go to medical school after this program" might seem like a great idea now but priorities can change after 5 years. You could be struck by lightning, get married, and have 3 kids like I did after being in the Navy for about 5 years. I would suspect that there is much more info needed here to give an informative reponse, even from guys who have gone through NUPOC. Do you want subs or surface?

Offline gccrd

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:58 »
Pros: Money. Not worrying about a job in college or out of college.
Cons: If you don't live near a base, going to the doctor is kinda a pain. Things (doctor's appointments, PFAs,drug tests, etc) seem to only be scheduled during the most inconvenient times (i.e. I only had classes Tues/Thurs my last semester so days did everything get scheduled for...)

The most important thing is do you truly want to serve your county?  If so, the cons don't matter (and the pros are just icing on the cake).  If no and you are only doing it for the money, go to med school.

Offline wadswom

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:02 »
Too all: thank you for the responses; I truly do appreciate it.

HalfHazzard

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:45 »
Pros: Money. Not worrying about a job in college or out of college.
Cons: If you don't live near a base, going to the doctor is kinda a pain. Things (doctor's appointments, PFAs,drug tests, etc) seem to only be scheduled during the most inconvenient times (i.e. I only had classes Tues/Thurs my last semester so days did everything get scheduled for...)

Wrong.  Aside from the initial medical physical, you shouldn't have to go to a base to for doctor's appointments, PFA, drug tests etc.

If you live (I think it's 50 miles) from a military treatment facility, you qualify for TriCare Prime Remote and will see a civilian care provider of your choosing out of the TriCare network for routine medical needs.

Your recruiter and you will decide where you take the PFA and if you have any additional drug tests as well as how you check in with him/her on a monthly basis.

Anything that requires "BIG NAVY" you'll go to a base for, but that should only be when you initially sign up.

I think NUPOC and Line Officer service are completely worthwhile.  You can go to medical school afterwards.  I have known Nuclear Officers that have done this, and considered doing it myself as well.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2013, 07:49 by HalfHazzard »

Offline gccrd

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:20 »
Wrong.  Aside from the initial medical physical, you shouldn't have to go to a base to for doctor's appointments, PFA, drug tests etc.

If you live (I think it's 50 miles) from a military treatment facility, you qualify for TriCare Prime Remote and will see a civilian care provider of your choosing out of the TriCare network for routine medical needs.

Your recruiter and you will decide where you take the PFA and if you have any additional drug tests as well as how you check in with him/her on a monthly basis.

Anything that requires "BIG NAVY" you'll go to a base for, but that should only be when you initially sign up.

I think NUPOC and Line Officer service are completely worthwhile.  You can go to medical school afterwards.  I have known Nuclear Officers that have done this, and considered doing it myself as well.

Well I'm speaking from my very recent experiences in the program.  I do live within 50 miles of an Army base which meant that I had to go there for all of my doctors appointments.

We were told by our recruiter where and when our PFAs were (which were at the Army base with about 50 or so Navy personnel from around the region).  There was no discussion, just that all collegiates in the region (as well as the other Navy personnel, mostly recruiters) all were to meet to take it.  Same with the drug test.

Maybe it depends on where you live, but Wadsworm asked for experiences, so I gave him mine.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?