Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chernobyl to be covered in steel honeypot

Author Topic: Chernobyl to be covered in steel  (Read 10583 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Chernobyl to be covered in steel
« on: Apr 10, 2013, 09:38 »

The authorities in Ukraine have approved a giant steel cover for the radioactive site of the world's worst nuclear disaster - Chernobyl. 
Ukraine has hired a French firm to build the structure to replace the crumbling concrete casing put over the reactor after the 1986 accident.

The casing project is expected to cost $1.4bn (£700m).

It will take five years to complete and the authorities say they will then be able to start dismantling the reactor. 

Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko hailed the project:

"Today is probably the first time that we can openly look into the eyes of the national and international community and say that a solution to the problem that has long been called the Chernobyl problem was formally found," he said.

The French construction company Novarka will build a giant arch-shaped structure out of steel, 190 metres (623 feet) wide and 200m long.

It will cover the existing containment structure which stands over the reactor and radioactive fuel that caused the accident in 1986.

The reactor still contains 95% of its original nuclear material, and exposure to weather and poor construction has left the existing casing weak.

A separate deal has also been signed with the US firm Holtec to build a storage facility within the exclusion zone for nuclear waste which has been produced by Chernobyl.

The money for the schemes has come from international donors.

The fund is administered by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.

Its president, Jean Lemierre, said the continued commitment of Ukrainian authorities and the international community was vital for the projects to be successfully completed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6999140.stm

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Chernobyl to be covered in steel
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2013, 10:37 »
When I read this it looked strangely familiar. Being subject to frequent bouts of Deja vu, I had to check and found this on the top of the article:

Last Updated: Tuesday, 18 September 2007, 14:25 GMT 15:25 UK

I think their 5 years is up...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2013, 10:45 »
When I read this it looked strangely familiar. Being subject to frequent bouts of Deja vu, I had to check and found this on the top of the article:

Last Updated: Tuesday, 18 September 2007, 14:25 GMT 15:25 UK

I think their 5 years is up...

Maybe not, I chose the one above because of the graphics but it is a new story.

Novarka: putting a new cap on Chernobyl

By Jason Deign on Apr 10, 2013

The decommissioning and clean-up of Chernobyl is a project that the international community will not allow to be ‘swept under the carpet’ since the stakes are high for this particular plant. However, the Ukrainians reckon they can contain it under one giant plug.

By Jason Deign

When earlier this year part of a roof caved in at the decommissioned Chernobyl nuclear power plant in the city of Pripyat, Ukraine, 14.5 km (9.0 mi) northwest of the city of Chernobyl, there was relief it had not happened later.

If the collapse had taken place in the summer rather than this February, while the abandoned building was covered in snow, it could have created a contaminating dust plume, reported the Oslo, Norway-based Bellona Foundation, a non-governmental organisation. But the State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of the Ukraine, which is advised by experts, has concluded that the collapsed roof did not influence safety at the NPP, according to news reports.

Nevertheless, the “partial failure of the wall slabs and light roof of the Unit 4 Turbine Hall,” as it was described on the Chernobyl web site, was a timely reminder of the urgent need to contain radiation risks at the decaying nuclear power plant.

http://analysis.nuclearenergyinsider.com/decommissioning/novarka-putting-new-cap-chernobyl?utm_source=http%3a%2f%2fuk.nuclearenergyinsider.com%2ffc_nei_decomlz%2f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NEI+e-brief+1004&utm_term=Supply+Chain+Prospects+for+the+Carolinas&utm_content=159560
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2013, 10:47 by Marlin »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2013, 10:55 »
I didn't say they were not still going ahead.  I noted that, as is normal for most nuclear-grade projects, the project is well behind schedule at 6 years into a 5 year project and there is nothing accomplished yet.

I saw a very detailed, very slick video produced by AREVA for the proposal for this back in (I think) 2005 or 2006.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2013, 11:06 »
I didn't say they were not still going ahead.  I noted that, as is normal for most nuclear-grade projects, the project is well behind schedule at 6 years into a 5 year project and there is nothing accomplished yet.

I saw a very detailed, very slick video produced by AREVA for the proposal for this back in (I think) 2005 or 2006.

Root cause has been determined!  ;D

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2013, 11:13 »

My bad, I thought your were just talking about the date line, do you still have a link to the video?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2013, 11:23 »
My bad, I thought your were just talking about the date line, do you still have a link to the video?

Never mind I think I found it.

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2013, 03:08 »
Slick video Marlin...thank you. Imagine if this was being built here in the states. 10 years for an environmental study. Another 10 years for debate about who's going to pay.

Edited to remove political commentary
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2013, 05:58 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2013, 04:07 »
Never mind I think I found it.

Actually, that was close, but not it. The one I saw was made by AREVA and was a much more slick (and detailed) production. Unfortunately it was on DVD and was only loaned to me long enough to watch it.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?