Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trump orders Energy Department to help ailing coal, nuclear plants  

Author Topic: Trump orders Energy Department to help ailing coal, nuclear plants  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday directed Energy Secretary Rick Perry to take emergency steps to keep at-risk coal and nuclear plants running, the White House announced.

Under the directive, Perry would require grid operators to buy electricity from ailing nuclear and coal-fired power plants to keep them from being shuttered.
“Unfortunately, impending retirements of fuel-secure power facilities are leading to a rapid depletion of a critical part of our nation’s energy mix, and impacting the resilience of our power grid,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a statement.

Finally, a President that tried to help nuclear power.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
n a p.o.t.u.s. who will go a head with the decision when groups sue two stop it. won who will weight four the s.c.o.t.u.s. too make it's decision.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Finally, a President that tried to help nuclear power.

I surmise he is trying to help the grid,....

not sure he really understands where or why nukes are in the grid,...

not sure anybody promoting nukes can define the scenario to him in any words much more informative than "Well!!! you know, nukes are cool!!!!!",...

by the time PJM finishes their Base Portfolio for Fuel Security and Resilience (which is an evolving notion best described as "to define and
establish fuel security criteria and then use market forces to allow all resources to compete to meet those criteria"
),............

where was I ?!?!?!?!?!

oh yeah!!

by the time PJM finishes their Base Portfolio for Fuel Security and Resilience, 6 of the following nukes will be off the grid,...

Davis Besse, Pilgrim, IP2, IP3, OC, TMI 1, Perry, BV1, BV2,...

by then recovery for the nuke fleet will be too late,...

life support maybe,...

hell, it's already on life support,...

but recovery?!?

not happening,... :-\
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2018, 02:45 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Is it wrong that I daydream about extremely catastrophic consequences being produced due to these shutdowns? Like real, deep and absolutely evil things. Fortunately my conscience occasionally steps in and all that's left is an unbearable loathing, not for the general ignorant public, put for these well financed (by behind the scene Fossil money) "environmental" establishments that are run by wealthy people who deep down inside don't care about the health of the world OR the environment. Real scum who have fear mongering induced orgasms at the expense of the public all while molesting the differences between Nuclear POWER and Nuclear WEAPONS.

So for now I will just sit back, look out the window and think about these Nukes and Coal plants being shutdown and hoping the result is mass ciaos boiling over while people go without lights, heating or cooling, refrigeration.....and the ability to charge their iphones all while fantasying about knocking out the next person that tells me Nuclear cant survive without "bailouts" and renewables don't need subsides and are safer, cheaper and cleaner than Nuclear Power.

Which reminds me. I golfed an incredible course called Wine Valley in Walla Walla last week. Place is a beautiful links course. Only thing absolutely disgusting about it......seeing the vast scenic pollution the wind turbines have vomited everywhere. If you call yourself an environmentalist and can honestly look at their litter against scenery created by the greats floods thousands of years ago and be OK with it......then you deserve to be donkey kicked in the di*k.
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2018, 12:36 by Bonds 25 »
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
There is some value to extremely large turbine generators powering their way thru grid fluctuations.  When solar and wind are ramped up in more areas of the country, especially solar, we will see real world what the effect is.  I think Iowa has the most wind in this country so let's see what happens.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
When iowa has frigid temperature, hi winds, oar udder extreme whether, the wind turbines whale bee shut down.
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2018, 08:28 by SloGlo »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
totally, but I meant besides the storage problem looming.  I'm hearing large turbines are worth their weight in gold from grid operators.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Hard to imagine any grid operator believing something that is not guaranteed to be there when needed, or even HALF the time (capacity factors for wind in the most pristine locations rarely go above 40%) are worth their weight in gold.....maybe worth their weight in sewer solids.     
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
yeah I think a turbine pumping out hundreds of MWs is a good stable presence on the grid when something happens to destabilize grid, like voltage or frequency issues.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
There is some value to extremely large turbine generators powering their way thru grid fluctuations.  When solar and wind are ramped up in more areas of the country, especially solar, we will see real world what the effect is.  I think Iowa has the most wind in this country so let's see what happens.
When iowa has frigid temperature, hi winds, oar udder extreme whether, the wind turbines whale bee shut down.

Iowa is already utilizing some of it's coal plants as peaker plants that are on standby for when the the wind dies down. They are on a 12 hour standby mode for fluctuations in wind produced MW's.

TVA

That isnt peaking..

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
That isnt peaking..
peaking, peeking, piqueing....😉

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
That isnt peaking..

Yes, I understand the traditional sense of a Peaker Plant. Utilized when daily demand is at it's high point. I'm not sure what this new adaptation would be called, or if the industry has given it a name. The concept is similar. There is a need for more generation at a given time so the plant in standby mode fires up to alleviate the pressure put on the grid for more power. Just so happens that the need is caused be a drop in overall production rather then a jump in usage/demand.

http://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Peaking_power
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2018, 09:38 by ksheed12 »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
load following IS a type of peaking...so what are you talking about TVA?  you are splitting hairs most likely.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?