Studsvik

Above Average
3 (18.8%)
Average
4 (25%)
Below Average
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Studsvik  (Read 27763 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Studsvik
« on: Mar 17, 2005, 09:47 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

dac

Studsvik
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2007, 06:01 »
What news is there about Studsvik?

illegalsmile

Re: Studsvik
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2007, 07:52 »
the last I heard:
A) the plant is all crapped up
B) they don't pay for crap
C) the treat their techs like crap.......
startin' to see a pattern?

Offline USMCRADCON

• Light User
  • Will train for spare change
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2007, 08:25 »
Just went through phase 2 for the RSO position last week.  I will update shortly.
"Welcome to the show, you are now officially one of Jerry's Kids"

dac

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2007, 01:06 »
I worked there for awhile......I've worked commercial, shipyards, DOE, house and Studsvik was the most unbelievable situation I have ever been in...a total disreguard for basic standards...I understand they have violations with the state with possible overexposures...USMC be careful...dac

weebee57

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2007, 03:43 »
worked there for over a year... nasty , nasty ... everything you've heard is true ...it's so crapped up, you need to dress out in the parking lot... and your'e guaranteed 50 m/r a day exposure.... moochiebubble

weebee57

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2007, 03:50 »
USMC Be very careful.... I worked for a great RSO but his hands were tied very tightly by plant mgr. Moochiebubble

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2007, 12:54 »
OK, I give up. Where is Studsvik? I don't even see it on the Region 2 directory!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2007, 01:50 »
OK, I give up. Where is Studsvik? I don't even see it on the Region 2 directory!
The original region 2 location shares a site with NFS (Nuclear Fuel Services) in Erwin TN, East of Knoxville/Oak Ridge TN.

Studsvik Processing Facility, LLC
151 T.C. Runnion Rd
Erwin, TN 37650
USA

Phone: +1 (423) 735-6300
Fax: +1 (423) 743-0794
mail@studsvik-inc.com

There are actually several US sites (They bought RACE in Memphis, and Scandpower in MA, they also have sites around the world:

http://www.studsvik.se/index.php?lang=en&p=contact&print=true
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2007, 04:28 by Rennhack »

Offline USMCRADCON

• Light User
  • Will train for spare change
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2007, 04:01 »
NFS has certain financial interests in Studvik, which is why they have the embedded Safety Manager ie: the RSO

Erwin is a beautiful, small little town about 30 miles SE of Johnson City or exactly 150.2 miles from my driveway.  Not much else here.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2007, 04:27 by Rennhack »
"Welcome to the show, you are now officially one of Jerry's Kids"

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2007, 06:13 »
Johnson city is the big town in that area....Boone is nice though as well as Bristol but if youre that close you probably know that already ;)

LaFeet

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2007, 07:45 »
Studsvik can not be that bad... they are still operating and it seems they always  have techs working for them.   Im just too busy to go that route...

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2007, 02:34 »
Its out in the middle of nowhere.  If you like solitude - thats the place.
Decomm Man

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2007, 06:25 »
Its out in the middle of nowhere.  If you like solitude - thats the place.

nooo theres stuff there, a new walmart is just an exit or so up lol

markcreekmore

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2007, 08:06 »
I was there from the time they built the place.  It started out to be a decent place to work but went downhill fast.  It was a new technology and there was a large learning curve.  System design failures and short staffing caused high contam and high dose throughout the facility.  Pressure to turn a profit caused many rad and safety procedures to be overlooked.  Politics got bad and backstabbing increased.  After getting over 4R a year for 4 years straight I finally had enough.  The experience was good because you had to be ops and HP qualified (may not be that way now)which helps understand how systems work.  Bottom line,  the area is great. The plant sucks.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2007, 08:15 by hirad drifter »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2007, 07:08 »
From time to time, I find big holes in my knowledge of neighboring facilities. I took my NRRPT at Oak Ridge, and wasn't even aware of Studvisk!

Thanks for the info from all.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

LaFeet

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2007, 01:41 »
nooo theres stuff there, a new walmart is just an exit or so up lol

Reminds me of St Marys Georgia in the early 90's ::)

Offline nukedog

• Moderate User
  • Look at the head on that thing!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2007, 11:19 »
I worked during the peak time. We could bring in truck with a cask, unload him and get him back on the road with a new cask in 45 minutes. Hittman carriers never see anything like it before. If ya like cowboy health physics, this is the place to go!

Iwent there in November with 2 rem for the year on new years eve, I had 4800.
If you like dose they will let you waller in it.

Offline tevya

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2008, 06:16 »
I was one of the original 4 RST's on site at Studsvik.  I'm from Johnson City, pretty much a local, so I was willing to overlook some things like pay and benefits to be able to work there.  Been around a long time, well over 25 years in the business at that time, so I had seen good and bad ops vs radcon situations before.  (I was there for the big ugly at Oak Ridge's Q-SEP facility.)  Came from a navy background with zero contamination criteria (feel free AND obliged to LOL) and VC Summer's successful program.  Operations ruled at Studsvik.  And ops had plenty of bugs still in the system.  Plant manager and RSO stayed at odds, eventually settled into a cold war standoff that made an RST's life miserable.  Spills and high dose were every day occurances.  I chose to leave there (home - where I could live rent/mortgage FREE) because I felt I was NOT allowed to practice/enforce acceptable radiological controls.  For the fellow that wrote and bragged about the quick cask turnaround, I would be real suspicious about what condition the truckbay and facility were left in after the truck pulled out.  Give you, that may have been long after I left and they may have "cleaned up their act" ...literally.  I hope they have for the crew's sake, the neighborhood's and our industry's reputation.  I know that they have had major personnel changes - call them shake-ups - at the plant, so maybe its better since 2000.  Wish I knew it was..operationally and politically - I'd still like to work that close to home!

diparyar

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 01:06 »
eye 2 fail 4 thar crap.  signed on as a house tech, pay was ok no diem, erwin is the twilite zone, but eye had a decent time there.

but back to studsville, best place for the worst rad worker practices ever, its a mom & pop run shop, even tho studsville is worldwide.  safety.....none,  plant mgr hahaha. 

they did not let real HP's do what we r sposed 2 do,  frowned on it they did.

and if were put on the radar, then look out.  OT was out of the ?.  evin on a 36 hr wk. they would'nt let you come in sew's u could 4 more hrs. 2 make up 4 ur 40hrs.

dat's all eye need 2 say

tanks

rapid

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?