Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu German nuke needs help (MERGED) honeypot

Author Topic: German nuke needs help (MERGED)  (Read 11094 times)

Offline Kernwerker

• Light User
  • Strahlenschutztechniker in der Arbeitsüberwachung
German nuke needs help (MERGED)
« on: Mar 18, 2005, 10:43 »
Hi guys

Been a while since i been on this site. But i simply didnt have the time because of my correspondent course i been taking.
Well to make it short. I am going to visit my parents who are retired and live in Florida.
And i need some contact info for Turkey Point the nuke plant south of Miami Any of you guys have any email address's or phone number for any plant staff personal working in HP or RP? For introduction purposes I am a seniour hp tech working at a nuke facility in southern Germany (KKP1 and KKP2). I am a employee of the plant staff.
So if any of you guys have any contact adresses or similiar of Turkey Point or any other plant in Florida I would be much obliged.

Bob
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2005, 12:56 by Roll Tide »
I work at a place with almost 2400 MW's of pure power! At the same time governed from Berlin with 100000 MW,s of bs!

A fair fight? Thats just one where theres a 50/50 chance youll LOSE. Would you b

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: German nuke needs help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2005, 03:11 »
Are you looking for contacts to share a beer with and talk shop, a plant tour (difficult to arrange), job connections, or ?

Offline Kernwerker

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2005, 04:14 »
Hi folks

I started a new post about my topic and it seemed it was moved to the career forum. First off i am not looking for a job in the states.
All I want is some contact addresses for hp people living and working in Florida preferably Turkey Point. I plan to pay my parents a visit in Florida next month.
I plan to stay for two weeks. And I would be much obliged if anyone could give me some contact adresses or phone numbers.

Bob
I work at a place with almost 2400 MW's of pure power! At the same time governed from Berlin with 100000 MW,s of bs!

A fair fight? Thats just one where theres a 50/50 chance youll LOSE. Would you b

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:37 »
Turkey Point will be in an outage starting April 10th.  If you stop in at the Mutineer's bar the Wharf, you will run into people.  It is on the corner of Palm Drive and US1 at the first lights south of the turnpike.
There are the Habs, and the Hab nots.

Offline Kernwerker

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2005, 12:46 »
Turkey Point will be in an outage starting April 10th.  If you stop in at the Mutineer's bar the Wharf, you will run into people.  It is on the corner of Palm Drive and US1 at the first lights south of the turnpike.
Many thanks friend! We have an outage coming up to starting 1 may in our BWR unit

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:19 »
If you send me a private message telling me when you will be in the area, I might be able to get some people to share a beer with you and sit and talk. I will be there myself for a bit of the next outage (starts soon) and I know a lot of the people that will be there.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Kernwerker

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:28 »
Are you looking for contacts to share a beer with and talk shop, a plant tour (difficult to arrange), job connections, or ?
Actually i was thinking of both  I mean drink a few beers and a plant tour. Hmm I assume the plant tour might be diffecult. Because of 911? Well here in Germany we have contractors who originelly come from Turkey they are checked everyday more intensively  by our plant guards then the rest of the "German" or permenant staff.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: German nuke needs help (MERGED)
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2005, 12:58 »
Swapping stories at the Mutineer is probably a good idea. Southern Comfort RV park is just down Palm from there, and it has a Tiki Bar known to host a few of the outage workers.

Just make sure you don't look like a Middle Eastern Muslim seeking info about nuclear power plants!  :o :o :o :o :o

I remember they were quite uptight about that.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Kernwerker

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2005, 01:15 »
Swapping stories at the Mutineer is probably a good idea. Southern Comfort RV park is just down Palm from there, and it has a Tiki Bar known to host a few of the outage workers.

Just make sure you don't look like a Middle Eastern Muslim seeking info about nuclear power plants!  :o :o :o :o :o

I remember they were quite uptight about that.
Dont worry!  8) My father is a native Floridian my mother a native German Well that makes me sort of a army brat ;D
Well if they accuse me of being a German seeking info about American nukes...then they are right! ;D

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2005, 01:19 »
Dont worry!  8) My father is a native Floridian my mother a native German Well that makes me sort of a army brat ;D
Well if they accuse me of being a German seeking info about American nukes...then they are right! ;D

I remember hearing stories of a secret U-boat base in South Florida!
I am sure you will be fine!  ;D ;D
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Kernwerker

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2005, 02:09 »
Oh very nice! nukeworker dot com merged both of my posts! Well for some reason you US guys where thinking i was looking for a job  (considering the forum this post was put in) ... actually not...I been working in Philippsburg KKP1 and KKP2 for about 16 years now. First as a contractor ( 6 years as a senior decon tech and a bit RP) Then I was employed as  permenant staff I took varios course similaiar to your ansis and doe? I am still confused about that ???
For a short intro...Here in Germany senior hp techs are not called techs...they are called "skilled RP craftsmen" regardless of there experience...Well i took that test like 5 years ago. the test is splitted into 3  main categories. the first main category is theory 1. theory ( nuke technology..various types of nuke plants PWR , BWR , fast breeders etc) 2. I hope i get this right...anything  that has to do with measuring radioactivity ....instruments or monitors and how they preciseley work (quite a few flunk this)  3. basic math (not much to say about that) 4. Regulations (Well  alot of jurisdictional stuff) 5. "RP in theory" Well they give you like 10 different task in "theory" and you should write down the adaquate rp measurements................T his was the theoretical part (no multiple choice all done with your own words) . Then you have the "verbal part"...You are sitting on a chair facing a board of various RP supervisors superdupers etc and they ask various questions of a subject of there choice...Then they ask some questions pertaining to work safety and regulations (which is a subject only to be verbally tested)....After that is finished comes the real bummer...the infamous "practical testing" (5 guys are standing behing you and evaluating all your moves.....around 60 to 70% flunk first time)....About 2 weeks prior to testing you are told where you are to take this test...I was told in "Brunnsbüttel" (BWR almost identical to KKP 1 ...both are "69" Siemens KWU BWRS's)  you of course prepare yourself...The prob here in Germanjy alof of people are specialized....Some work only in BWR or PWR or in another nuke facility....Well I was lucky! I got "Brunnsbüttel"!!!! God I was happy! Well then came the test...they gave me the "job discprition" and I was even more happy! Jeez i even knew the damn room and component!....................Then I flunked! :o
Because of arrogance and lightheartyness :P   .....Well i made it next time...

Sorry for the mixup here!  :P I at the most know only about 10% of the  english nuke lingo I hope you can figure out what the hell i am saying

Offline Kernwerker

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2005, 02:10 »
Oh bI se waa

Ve hav destroid all ar submarins becus Elvis was seen at kee Vest!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2005, 02:45 »
If Nukeworker ever gives out a Col. Klink award, I am nominating you!!!

I appreciate the insight on the German HP quals. I understand the DOE has a similar practical testing board (the Navy had one as well). Commercial (NRC) nukes don't send people to another site for testing. (DOE is Government Department of Energy: building bombs and other stuff.)

:)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2005, 02:54 »
Although the commercial nukes don't normally have a lot of practical testing or oral boards, they do exist. I had to go through an oral board at Oyster Creek to become a qualified GRCS (Group Radiological Controls Supervisor) and I just did practicals at Limerick two years ago as a tech. No matter how confident you are in your skills, there is something about being watched and graded on someone else's standards that is down right unnerving.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Kernwerker

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2005, 03:09 »
Although the commercial nukes don't normally have a lot of practical testing or oral boards, they do exist. I had to go through an oral board at Oyster Creek to become a qualified GRCS (Group Radiological Controls Supervisor) and I just did practicals at Limerick two years ago as a tech. No matter how confident you are in your skills, there is something about being watched and graded on someone else's standards that is down right unnerving.
You can say that again! Jeez I just deleted some ranting about our German training system  :o
I was just kidding or maybe not? No the training is not bad here in Germany just a few things i have to critisize...I have to be careful here!..BTW what you think of the pics I uploaded?  I have many more of course all declassified

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2005, 03:17 »
Good photos. Any shots like that are a welcome addition to the site.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2005, 05:48 »
Just wondering if anyone at the Mutineer has spotted Kernwerker? He would have some interesting contrasts to US nukes, I bet! If anyone sees him tell him hi from all at Nukeworker!

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2005, 07:43 »
I haven't seen/heard him yet.  I have been keeping my ears open for a German accent, but haven't come across it yet.  Kernwerker, if you see any SGT shirts, start talking, you will find me around 6:00 p.m.
There are the Habs, and the Hab nots.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?