Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is the Navy Nuclear Power Program for me?

Author Topic: Is the Navy Nuclear Power Program for me?  (Read 16730 times)

keyboard

Is the Navy Nuclear Power Program for me?
« on: Apr 19, 2005, 12:09 »
    Hello everyone.  I'm currently a senior who's about to graduate high school in two months.  Around Nov. of 2004 a navy recruiter came into my A.P. Physics class and talked in great length about the navy, and its huge spectrum of benefits.  The only benefit that caught my attention was free college tuition, nothing else.  I wasn't sure whether or not my parents would support paying my college tuition, and for some reason I was scared to end up in a pile of debt if I went for 4 years of college, so free money didn't seem so bad.
     I gave him my phone number and in around March I got a call from the same recruiter and in a week I took the ASVAP(I recieved a 91) and the NFQT (I scored a 73 I believe) and went through MEPS and agreed to join the navy nuclear power program. 
     Now I'll explain the reason why I did all this.  From start to end, I was reluctant to do anything associated with the navy.  I was scared to to take the tests and to go to MEPS because I knew it would lead me with to one possible conclusion: signing 6 years of my life into something I could hate and regret.  I felt that I've been pressured into signing paper after paper for my obligation of service and I've acquiesced to everyone's wants (going to MEPS, signing the contracts, taking the tests).  I feel that I've done everything to basically comply what my recruiter wanted me to do and "make everyone happy" and to be "nice" instead of what I should I have said from the start: "You know what, I think the navy isn't for me."  Since I wasn't 100 percent sure about signing up for the navy, it might not be a decision I would want to continue.
     The stressful decision I have now is to either get myself out of the navy and go to college, or stay in the navy nuclear power program.  I have 2 weeks left to decide before my acceptance to my college becomes void.
     I really don't know what to do with my life.  I always wanted to go into a medical or computer science field and I'd achieve that through college.  I've had some interest in biology and I'm usually found sitting next to the computer all day playing video games.  I figure that with those small interests, I might be able to land a good salary and most importantly, a job that I'll love doing for the rest of my life.  The problem is I really don't have any direct and dominant focus on any career.  I'm so afraid that somewhere along the line if I go to college, I'll regret the major I choose and end up miserable for having wasted 4-6 years of my life  (I've heard several stories of this happening to people.) The same fear applies if I decide to go into the nuke program.  I'll be honest, I'm extremely horrible with physics.  I find it very boring to the point where I've slept in class and failed exams.  Other subjects I'm fine with. I can imagine myself doing extremely poor in the nuke program since I believe the backbone of what is taught is physics.  I never really had any interest in Nuclear Engineering either.
    I wish I could stop thinking of the negative aspects of the two options but I can't.  It's either college or the nuke program  I'm very indecisive at the moment right now.  At age 26, I really don't want to look back and say "What a waste of time." or "Look how miserable this decision has made me."  Once I make a decision there's no turning back on it.  I'm eagerly seeking any advice which will be greatly appreciated.

ex-SSN585

Re: Is the Navy Nuclear Power Program for me?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:12 »
Thanks for sharing your concerns.  Regardless of how you came to came to join the Navy's nuclear power program, I can understand your doubts about your future.

The thing that strikes me is your own admission that you do not have a clear direction as to your career.  That happens to many people, as you mentioned.  When I joined the Navy, I had just become a senior with majors in Chemistry and English, but I had stopped going to school full time and was working at a campus security job while taking courses in Sociology.  That sounds exactly as you described having heard.  Even after taking classes in different fields, I still did not see how a college education would apply to a career.

The problem is that you are looking at the Navy as a possible waste of time equivalent to that of an aimless college program.  You mentioned that you were attracted to the Navy because of the "free college tuition".  The educational opportunities in the Navy do not begin once you have fulfilled your six year commitment.  You can take college classes while in the Navy, paid for by a program (the Tuition Assistance program) that does not reduce the college benefits available to you through the GI Bill.  I, myself, used tuition assistance to pay for Certificate program courses in computer programming and hazardous waste management, Russian language courses, physics, psychology, political science, history, and other general education courses.  You can explore various fields until you know what will be your field of interest for a college degree.

Before I go on, there are, of course, a few clarifications.  Your primary educational objective is toward your Naval career, and your nuclear power studies come first.  You will have to devote much of your time for the first couple of years learning how to operate nuclear plants, in general, and then to make yourself useful when you get stationed on a ship.  But the good thing is that those studies can be evaluated for college credit.  (I am not going to go into detail about how much, because there are whole threads in this forum on that subject.)  But the most important thing, I believe, is that you are getting work experience that employers will look at and consider valuable.  Imagine going for an employment interview, assuming that you have done your six years in the Navy and completed the college degree of your choice, and being able to say that in addition to your degree, you have six years work experience, including management positions.  Compare that with someone who has wandered from degree to degree, working at fast food restaurants and other part time jobs.  Who would you rather hire?

You can read in other forums how achievable it is to get your college degree while still in the Navy.  I must say that I did not find it as easy as other people make it sound, in spite of all the courses I was able to take, but when I was in the Navy, everything had to be done by mail, and now with the internet and CD-ROMS, video tapes, and the like, it is much easier these days.

Ok, enough of that approach.  Yes, I was a Navy recruiter, and one of those recruiters who went around to high schools (although I talked mostly about how nuclear power works rather than Navy benefits).  I mentioned that because I like everything to be out in the open.  But also, I am speaking from personal experience, as someone who was undecided about a career, as you said you are.

Obviously, as evidenced by your test scores, you're intelligent and have a high aptitude for subjects related to nuclear power.  I'm addressing your concern that you don't like physics.  I didn't care much for physics, even though my major was chemistry.  So, I don't really know much about how physics in high school is taught these days or what you know about Nuclear Engineering.  All I can say is that with your aptitude, if you apply yourself, there's no question that you'll be able to succeed in the training.  I can't really say much about Nuclear Power training, since I went through the program 20 years ago and things may have changed, but Navy training isn't like high school.  It's fast paced, with definite objectives, and little or no wasted time.  For the most part, there is a hands on component, but you aren't doing "experiments" like in a high school or college class.  I doubt that you'd spend much time asleep in class.  As for failing tests ... well, it's your career development, not just passing a class.

For a person looking for direction in life, the Navy can be a valuable experience.  Sure, people are telling you what to do, but for some people, isn't that what you're really looking for until you gain your sense of purpose?  It's a well paying, full time job (and when I joined, before President Reagan normalized military pay, it was a good occupation even before the pay hikes and all the things like enlistment bonuses that are offered now).  Your six or more years in the Navy are whatever you make them.  You can even be the stereotypical sailor, and then, yes, you will have wasted your time when you get out at age 26, but if you continue with the nuclear power program, it won't be because the opportunities weren't there for you.

So maybe the opportunity you have has been presented to you this way and perhaps not.  If you want to know more, there is certainly lots of good and bad you can read about in these forums.  I can't say that my entire Navy experience has been positive.  In particular, I never wanted to be a recruiter.  Sometimes you just have to know when to get out of the Navy, too.  As undecided as you might be right now regarding your career, if you do go into the Navy's nuclear power program, know right now that you will make the most of your time in the Navy if you can set some clear goals for yourself.  If that college education is important to you, make sure you know how much Tuition Assistance is available to you each year and make sure you use it to its fullest extent.  It might give you the incentive to excel at your Navy schools to give yourself the opportunity for an instructor position immediately following nuclear power training, which would give you the opportunity to take advantage of the programs that some colleges at or nearby the Navy facilities.

Anyway, the Navy can be more than just a free ride for college tuition.  But as a former recuiter and fleet sailor, the last thing I want serving beside me is a person who really doesn't want to be there.  I don't want someone who feels that he or she wasn't told the complete story and was misled about this or that.  But as you said, once you make a decision, there's no turning back, so whatever you do, be informed and be realistic, don't compromise, and make the most of your opportunities.

Best wishes with your decision.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2005, 07:56 »
That was a very balanced point of view coming from an ex-recruiter and gives a lot of good advice, with a marginal slant. From someone who was not in the navy, I can offer this advice:

I had all the potential for doing well in college and thought that was the way to go for me. Like you I did well on tests and had my favorite and less-than-favorite subjects. I ended up dropping out of college mostly because I had way too good of a time there. My point is this -- I found out I had made a choice that I needed to change and was able to do that... if you choose college, you can change your mind; if you choose the navy, you can't (not easily, anyway).

I am not trying to discourage you if you want to serve in the navy. Make no mistake about it, that is the reason you will be there. Yes, there are benefits galore, but if you are going for 'free college tuition, nothing else' I STRONGLY suggest you don't because that is a benefit of joining, not a reason to join. Military service is a noble and high calling if you do it for the right reason. It is a commitment of 6 years which you have to look at as about 1/3 of your life to this point, assuming you are a 'normal' high school senior.

Please, if you want to serve your country, by all means join the navy. But if you are not sure, at least put off the decision until you feel better about it. As ex-SSN585 said, the people who want to be there don't want to serve with people who don't. Especially if you end up in harm's way.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2005, 07:57 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2005, 10:12 »
The bulk of your post seems to lie in fear of regret. You are scared you'll regret your decision no matter which decision you'll make. Excuse me, but all of us have regrets. We'd hardly be human if we didn't. I passed up the Air Force academy and flying jets. I really regret that one. I passed up being a bum, a college student, quite a few women that could have been my wife, no telling how many sons and daughters because of that. I passed up on being a drug addict, a close call in deed, could have been the next Poe or Hemmingway. The point is; you'll regret plenty of things, just get over it and realize you have to pick a path. You can always change paths and then regret you did. I got out of the Navy early and sometime I wish I hadn't but then where would I be now if I had stayed in? I loved being a nuke and hated being a janitor - I did both at the same time in the Navy. Make a decision and go with it!!! Tell us how it comes out. 
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

taterhead

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:08 »
Well, I will say this:

Whatever decision you make, own it. 

You have enough to deal with without me trying to sway you one way or the other.

delkinto

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2005, 05:46 »
Hey, Pal.

You signed the paper, raised your right hand, and made a commitment like a man.  Now it's time to be a man and live up to a man's commitment.  You swore to defend the consitution of the United States against all enemies, and to obey orders of President and the officers appointed over you.

Never regret living up to your honest, lawful commitments. 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2005, 09:48 »
Couldn't have said it better!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2005, 07:30 »
OK,
If you think you may have regrets, you are right. You do not get a dress rehearsal, so you must make the best choices you can with the information you have. Do you think you are too nice and won't be able to tell people "NO" when you don't want to do something? The Navy will cure that, and you will get your college money and good experience to boot!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?