Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu getting in as an officer honeypot

Author Topic: getting in as an officer  (Read 5275 times)

stuckintexas

getting in as an officer
« on: Jul 24, 2005, 03:37 »
hey. first post here. just been searching for info on getting into NUPOC. i have about 30 months left til graduating from the University of Texas at Arlington w/ a BSEE. currently my gpa is approximately 3.5. i have read that there are some tests to be taken to see if im eligable. asvab and some nuclear test...not sure. where can i take the test/s and can i take them before making any commitment to the navy? right now im contemplating going into the navy after i graduate or instead going into the industry to work as an EE. either way i feel id be happy. the biggest factor that caught my eye about joining the navy is that they will pay around $2000/month until graduation and some $12,000 bonus and a decent wage while serving. right now i have to work quite a bit while trying to take as many courses as i can manage so that i dont graduate when im 50(im 23 right now). the income from the navy would be very helpful while finishing school and it would make life easier on me right now as id be able to put all my efforts into getting straight A's.
i grew up a navy brat as my father served 26 years so i know alot about what comes along w/ the navy career as far as family life(the good, the benefits, the bad). id really only be interested in serving 6 years and getting out and into the civilian world. also by that time im going to have a family to think about(my girlfriend is all for me joining for 6 yrs. anything more and she would be an unhappy camper). like i already stated, the biggest benefit by joining for me right now would be the help w/ getting through school faster. however, i do feel that i would be bettered by the challenge that being a nuke has to offer, not to mention the education that i would recieve while in SC. right now im just trying to gather any info(and id like to take the tests so i can see where i stand w/ the competition) i can to better help me to make this decision. im also interested if i even qualify. any help you guys can give me would be appreciated...thanks.

atomicrod

Re: getting in as an officer
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2005, 03:59 »
Stuck:

The NUPOC program is a good one, especially for someone in your situation. I served with a number of folks that took that route into the program. The Navy nuclear program is also a fantastic place to learn about operating a nuclear plant, as long as you do not mind donating your pound of flesh. In comparison to civilian reactors, you will learn that nuclear plants do not have to be big, they can "load follow" as well as any fossil fueled plant, and they do not need grid connected back up power supplies.

I can get you current details about the financial benefits once I get back to work on Monday.

One piece of advice - if you take on the challenge, serve with an open mind. You do not want to start the program with a calendar that marks down the days until you get out. I am not trying to say that everyone needs to stay for a career, but the work is interesting, the family life can work, and the Navy does offer some interesting enticements to stay in. For example - after your obligation you are elibible for a continuation bonus that is currently about $30,000 per year, sub pay for LTs is another $845 per month, and you may be able to attend full time graduate education. Those pays are in addition to the normal pay for a Lieutenant, so you can live quite comfortably. For me, the extra pays were what allowed my wife to stay home with the kids instead of working outside the house, and I loved spending 20 months getting paid while attending grad school for free.

stuckintexas

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2005, 02:37 »
yea, sounds like a good package. now does anyone know what the basement is for an applicants SAT score? and does anyone know of a good representation of the ASVAB test or NFQT online? id like to take a look at the types of questions. anyone know what you need to make on these tests to qualify for nuclear officer?
thanks.

Dasani930

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2005, 01:20 »
Hi Texas!
I am currently applying for the NUPOC program.  I have completed everything up to the interviews in Washington.  The NUPOC program does not require that you take the ASVAB or NFQT.  To be competitive you need a technical major (which you have as an EE), less than 24 months left of school, around 3.5 GPA, highly involved in extracurricular actvities, and a couple other little requirements.  Your SAT score is not a huge factor when you are 23 years old (I was 21 when I got started, and that is what they told me).  Anyway, you need to contact a recruiter in your area who can get you set up with the right people.
THen you have to fill out a lengthy application and some minor paperwork to submit for a professional recommendation.  Once you hear back, then you do a PRT (1.5 mile run, situps and pushups in 2 min.), go to MEPS for a physical, go on a VIP trip to Mayport/King's Bay, fill out your EPSQ for a Top Secret security clearance, and then head up to D.C. for the interviews. 
It is an elite program with many enticing benefits. (After the VIP trip the desire to be a part of the Navy Nuke community is undeniable.)  I went into the application process merely for the money, but now I could rattle off lists of reasons.
Anyway, best of luck, and CONTACT THAT RECRUITER!!

jasonmsmith

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2005, 02:59 »
Hey Stuck,

I got into the NUPOC program in 1999.  I am now finishing up my Naval career after serving on Submarines for the last three years. I could not recommend the program more if you really know what you are getting into.  The 2k per month is great deal while in school, but when you get through OCS and get your commission, you are paid much less than your counterparts in the civilian world.  Now that I am a Lieutenant over 6 years, I have caught up to my civilian peers, but just barely.   If I was to sign a contract, the extra $22k a year would be nice, but for me it is not enough to go back out to sea as a Department Head.

My advice is know what you are getting into, I am very happy that I did it, but I know a lot of people who had a miserable Junior Officer tour. 

One thing to remember is that the training and responsibility you are given, as a Submarine Officer is unmatched anywhere in the civilian world. 
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2005, 03:01 by jasonmsmith »

stuckintexas

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2005, 06:43 »
thanks for the replies. so you say that i need to know what i am getting into. yes, if i have an idea then i can make a better decision on which path to take after graduation. can you tell me about what i'd be getting into? id appreciate anything that can give me an idea w/out you giving out classified info. of course. thanks alot.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?