Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Officer Interviews  

Author Topic: Nuke Officer Interviews  (Read 4997 times)

jamdaws

Nuke Officer Interviews
« on: Jun 15, 2006, 08:12 »
Can anyone who has ACTUALLY taken the interview describe what it was like for me.  I have seen the study guide so I am not looking for specific questions they ask but rather how intense it is.  How many questions are you allowed to get wrong?  Does it REALLY matter...I heard that if you were good enough to get the interview it is very difficult to screw it up from there.  Even if you answer most questions wrong, they already know from your transcripts what you are capable of.  Anyway, can anyone enlighten the process for me?  Thanks for the info.

Fermi2

Re: Nuke Officer Interviews
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2006, 09:40 »
The nuclear navy isn't about your transcripts. What they care about is your ability to perform under fire and your mental agility. Your transcripts don't prove a thing.

Mike

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2006, 07:31 »
I suggest if someone has a model submarine anytime during the interview...destroy it!  It used to work for Rickover's interview.  Oh, and never presalt or pepper your food prior to tasting it. ;D
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

jamdaws

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2006, 11:19 »
WOW what wonderfully worthless advice you guys have.  Thanks for constructively answering the question.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2006, 12:20 »
You actually got good advice. I told you a simple fact. Whatever you did in the past only gets you the interview. They'll base what they decide on the interview. Your past has no meaning to them. If you can't hack the interview you'll fall apart in the plant and they know it.

taterhead

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2006, 04:56 »
Sometimes advice comes cloaked as a contrite answer.  Such is the way of the Navy.  Look for a deeper meaning and move on.

Broadzilla gave you a great piece of advice for the interview, if not the Navy in general.  FORGET how you did in Professor Winklebottom's Calc III class.  Get ready to prove how you can deal with adversity and the unexpected.  Start thinking about how you will get people to follow you to accomplish the business of a propulsion plant (hint: the Officer's crest on your hat isn't enough).  Start thinking in terms of LEADERSHIP and less in terms of SCHOLARSHIP.  Success at the senior levels depends on the former, not the latter.

If you are further interested in the specifics of the interview, shoot me a pm and I will give you my work email, and put you in touch with one of our newest O's on the ship.  He will likely be glad to answer your question after I ask ( ;)) him to do so.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2006, 06:30 »
WOW what wonderfully worthless advice you guys have.  Thanks for constructively answering the question.

Most of these answers are from "Adm. Rickover lore". He was a very difficult man to work for. You would have been better served if people who had been through the interview had answered, but the general idea that this is not something you can study for is valid.

devildogdad

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2006, 11:56 »
First a quick intro, as the name implies I have one son a Jarhead. But my other son is in his senior yr at Vanderbilt and has been accepted into the NUPOC program. I would like to refer you to this site http://www.usnavyocs.com/portal/index.php if you click on the subsection for submarines you will see numerous posts on NUPOC. You can read his entire mulit page review of his interview. Good luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?