Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Applying as a Nuke Officer honeypot

Author Topic: Applying as a Nuke Officer  (Read 6627 times)

DanDPU

Applying as a Nuke Officer
« on: Jul 10, 2006, 10:19 »
Hello All,

First off I wanted to thank all the experienced posters on the boards.  The past few weeks, I have been able to sift through these forums to get a lot of my questions answers about the Nuke field in the Navy.  These boards really are a great resource.

Right now I am a sophomore working on a Physics bachellor's degree, and the last months I've been strongly considering signing up for the NUPOC program as a Nuclear Power Officer.  For those who don't know much about the program, you apply during the middle of your sophomore year, and, if accepted, are paid as an enlisted for the remaining 30 months in college and receive a signing bonus.  After graduating, you are sent straight to OCS then a few months of Graduate School-level classes, then serve 5 years.

One of the common things I keep hearing from other Nuke boards is that a lot of people seem kinda bitter about serving as a nuke in the navy.  A lot of "You either hate it or tolerate it" comments.  What would you all say is the big thing that turns a lot of people off?  Is there some assumption that people have, that always turns out against them?  There also seems to be a lot of people trying to apply for Officer after or during their work as Enlisted.

Another thing I've been looking for is information on the day-to-day life as a Nuke on a ship or a sub.  How big are the Nuke crews on a ship, and what positions are they made up of?  If I make Officer, what are my responsibilities throughout the day?  And to anyone who signed up for the NUPOC program, any advice on my app?  I realize they are looking more for leadership skills rather than academic stuff, but are they really looking for leadership positions in local college clubs or anything?  Or more of community service type positions?  I've only been in college for a year, its hard to get too involved on campus, so would I look desperate putting in things from HS?

If you make it down to here, thanks for taking the time to read my post.  I'd really appreciate any help you could give.

Dan

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2006, 12:58 by DanDPU »

taterhead

Re: Applying as a Nuke Officer
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2006, 12:40 »
Ok, here is a carrier view.

The Nuke world, particularly for senior type nukes, is a fast-paced, high-intensity world.  The rewards for a job well done are sometimes none other than that feeling of accomplishment you get after it is done.  The consequences for even the slightest misstep can be painful, causing hours, days of frustration.  Hey it's nuclear power, the risk can be high, the rewards low.  Some people need that pat on the back everyday, others can get by without it.

As a JO, once you get to a carrier, you will be expected to qualify Propulsion Plant Watch Officer.  After that you will be given a division for which you will serve as "Division Officer".  This position is generally administrative, as you will have some interaction with your Sailors, but the Chief will likely ask that you let let him/her handle the personnel side of the house.  You will stand watch and handle administrative tasks that the division must complete so that maintenance/testing is completed and documented properly.  A typical division onboard a carrier will have from 30-50 Sailors.  The Reactor Officer will expect you to know the status of these Sailors at any given time.  The Chief should keep you filled in on this information.

Daily, you will eat, sleep, stand watch, review work packages, get yelled at by the RO, and go back to sleep.  Such is the life of a JO 8)

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2006, 05:14 »
Oh yeah, I am not an Officer either, but I have seen them on occasion. 8)

Actually, I have a few friends who have crossed over to the dark side as LDOs, and while I admire their drive, I do not envy their position.  It's not an easy life.  If you want easy, join the chAir Force. ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2006, 05:18 by taterhead »

Gonzo

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2006, 05:25 »
i'll relate a little bit of information which you may not have as yet..  your obligation is five years?..   actually, the way it works for an officer is when your promised tour is over you request an exit from the navy...   i'm sure it usually goes as planned but in theory at least, they don't have to give it to you...   in any case, good luck

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2006, 09:37 »
Do officers actually do any hands on work? You (collective) make it out to seem like all they ever do is tell others to do things and do paper work.

shayne

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2006, 09:42 »
That is just about all they do. 

taterhead

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2006, 10:25 »
Do officers actually do any hands on work? You (collective) make it out to seem like all they ever do is tell others to do things and do paper work.

Actually, new JO's really just do paperwork, 'casue nobody will do what they tell them to do anyway ;D

"Sure Sir, I'll get right on that"
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2006, 10:25 by taterhead »

taterhead

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2006, 10:34 »
Our Firsts write the packages and routs them through the Chief(s), then the DIVO and PA's get approval. 

JOs/DIVOs are good at making sure that plant conditions are favorable for accomplishing the maintenance.  It's always a good thing to have your DIVO as "on-watch"Watch Officer when a particularly complex maintenance item or evolution is going on.

Further, JOs have to review and sign evals, sign special request/leave chits, all that junk after the LPO and Chief see it.  DIVOs get to do spot checks, walkthroughs, and that fun stuff too.

Yeah, so I when I said "do" paperwork, I meant review and sign.

See, if you can sign your name, it's so easy.  Just sign up! :-X
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2006, 10:36 by taterhead »

taterhead

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2006, 10:45 »
 :P

DanDPU

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2006, 09:49 »
Thanks for all your replies guys!  They really do help.

One more thing I wasn't too sure on was the difference between "Restricted" and "Unrestricted" officers.  It looks like Nuke Officers, as well as many of the more technical fields, are in the former category, while more of the tactical fields are Unrestricted.  So what exactly do these two types of officers mean?

M1Ark

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2006, 07:57 »
These posts were great and brought back fond memories of the officers I've worked with while I was in the canoe club.  Unfortunately for me today.  Some of these JO's you have described found their way into an Instant SRO program and actually think their 5 year JO tour is equal to my navy enlisted tour and my 12 years commercial SRO experience.  Us former blue shirt SRO's still make fun of them like we used to and put them in their place when required.  They are still clueless about what's really going on but act like they know it all.  Must have been taught at OCS.  It really pisses them off now though when a former MM1 gives them some counseling on their inadequacies.

Boy are they good at signing s*&t.  You have to just make sure what they are signing is corrrect to keep your own azz out of trouble.

Some things never change.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?