Career Path > Radiation Safety

NANTeL Courses and Exams

<< < (2/6) > >>

RDTroja:
Most (not all) NANTeL training is good for one year... some is good for 2 years (I think.)

It is all generic. Anything site specific is controlled by the utility. Failure is, indeed, allowed... but after one re-test it takes more than just the proctor to allow additional retakes. Anyone with a little experience should have no trouble unless you have test paralysis. There tests are not timed. Instructors have to be specifically trained and qualified to be NANTel proctors.

The site-specific 'crud' is probably more important to doing your job than the generic and will not go away. The whole purpose of NANTel was to relieve the burden of taking the generic tests every time you go to a new plant, so yes, you get out of some of the tests, but there is not and never will be a 'one-size-fits-all' training allowing someone to walk into a plant ready to go to work. Unless there is a national nuclear utility and the plant designs are standardized, there is no way to do that.

spentfuel:
RDTroja thanks for the additional info.

Sounds as if even the nantel parts are handled different dependant upon the utility.

Should have pointed out my comment applies to an already badged utility employee not to a contractor coming into a plant.

At least at duke you are required to take the tests in the following sequence,  FFD/Generic plant access, then Site specific plant access then either of the RWT modules.  Failure of any module requires immediate notification of management and security at which time your badge is placed on hold.  Yes you can retest but I don't know how many times or how long you have to wait.

All modules were self proctured and no time limit applied. 

I agree plant specific things are also the things that help you the most in an unfamiliar plant, but would add, at least for duke the site specific modules are overloaded with less than valueable info.  I'm sure that will change over time but thats to be seen.

This is used only (again at duke) for requal,  in other words if you go beyond the expiration date you have to go through the three day initial RWT again.

thanks

sf

RP Instructor:
Those of us that have been in nuclear power since the 1980's (or earlier) recall it as being the "Northeast Utilities Exam", which was administered by Northeast Utilities (previous owners of Millstone Nuclear Station) to contract HP technicians, to assess the technicians' knowledge of basic health physics.
When Northeast Utilities went defunct, the control and security of the examination bank became questionable. INPO (specifically, the National Academy for Nuclear Training) eventually assumed control of the examination bank, and the NUE (Northeast Utilities Exam) has been re-born as the NANTeL RP Fundamentals Exam. The NANTeL website (https:\\www.nantel.org) has both the courses to prepare for the exam, and the exam itself. One has to be registered as a student on NANTeL, and then be proctored for the examination.
Here at VC Summer, we've replaced administering our own in-house HP Fundamentals Exam with the NANTeL RP Fundamentals Exam.
From what I've been told, the NANTeL RP Fundamentals Exam, and/or NRRPT certification, is the direction the industry is taking as a whole, to assess and validate the technical knowledge of their contract HP personnel. I would encourage anyone who has neither NRRPT certification, or has not taken the NANTeL RP Fundamentals Exam, to begin studying in preparation for either exam. It's what will be expected in the near future.

RP Instructor:
As an Administrator for the NANTeL website, I can create a student ID, and assign the course, to those who are interested in studying for (and taking) the NANTeL RP Fundamentals Exam. One would be required to have a NANTeL proctor (at their current site location) administer the exam.
If you're interested, e-mail me privately, and I'll set you up a student  account in NANTeL, and assign you the RP Fundamentals course and exam.
If you already have a NANTeL student account, and wish to have the course assigned to you, let me know that too by private e-mail.

Rennhack:
If you have a student account setup already, but can't remember what your login name is, it is typically the first 3 letters of your last name, your six digit birthdate, and the letter "a". Then use whatever password you remember changing your password to.

Example: renMMDDYYa

Currently, your user name for NANTeL is your Last name, followed by your first and middle initials, then your two digit month and day of birth.

Example: RennhackMD0214

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version