Palo Verde

Above Average
28 (35.9%)
Average
26 (33.3%)
Below Average
24 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Palo Verde  (Read 301562 times)

Atomic_Punk

Re: Palo Verde AO Jobs
« Reply #125 on: Dec 22, 2005, 02:28 »
What's the latest on the AO "trainee" jobs? 

pedro

Re: Palo Verde
« Reply #126 on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:48 »
Could any of you tell me who or where to contact if I'm interested in getting info. on job availability at the Palo Verde Plant.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #127 on: Jan 13, 2006, 02:22 »
Go to www.aps.com, click on 'employment'. 

pedro

« Reply #128 on: Jan 13, 2006, 12:40 »
thanks

Jen-Jen

« Reply #129 on: Jan 13, 2006, 04:40 »
Does anyone know if they have started interviewing yet?  Or when the AO class is supposed to start?

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #130 on: Jan 13, 2006, 06:31 »
Unless you're ex-Navy, related to someone, or L.D.S., you probably won't be granted an interview.

pedro

« Reply #131 on: Jan 15, 2006, 12:37 »
so as a navy elt, getting an interview isnt as difficult compared to if i wasnt? I didnt think it would help much at all.

Jen-Jen

« Reply #132 on: Jan 20, 2006, 07:43 »
So anyway... have they started interviewing AO's yet? I've applied and just want to know if I was blown off or they haven't started yet.

That said, when is the next AO class supposed to start?

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #133 on: Jan 26, 2006, 11:42 »
What's going on with unit 1????
New Generators in & only 26 % power after a month of running!?!??!
Whats going on...hummmmm........
Maybe that "vodoo" plate modifiaction went even further south?
Hearing some rumors in the wind..

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #134 on: Feb 03, 2006, 07:53 »
well since all is MUM on what's up with unit 1...
PV has FINALLY raised the pay rate by 3 bucks! at this place..wasn't enough to get me though!!!
Per Diem is FINALLY marginal to 90 buck a day!
Good thing ya don't have to work hard for that wage! :P

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #135 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:21 »
WOW!  $23 DOLLARS PER HOUR!  $90 DOLLARS A DAY!  How can they afford to pay people that much?!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #136 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:34 »
they gotta be scrappin the bottom of the barrel!....they were for the last generator replacement! I was there!
the rate is 26 bucks/hr for a >7yr/returnee..but they only work ya 60's ...for those who like 72's..
That's about middle---upper middle of the road--considering the hrs worked & no bonus...one could probably shave off 3 bucks/hr for non-returnee & a <7 yr/tech non-returnee gets < than that....
what's up w/ Unit 1
c'mon guys.....there are regulars from the plant who lurk & post here!!!!
NRC must have their toungs!!! :o

HPKC

« Reply #137 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:25 »
I just worked the Palo Unit 1 SGRP as a first time 3.1 senior and was asked to stay on after the outage (just body counted Friday). My pay rate as a local was $25 per hour in outage, $16 out of outage (working 40's).  A >7 year senior who worked along side of me until Friday was paid $23 in outage (plus per diem) and $16 out of outage (plus per diem).  As a junior R.P. Tech >12 months, I made $18 as a local and I know a new Jr. who made $16 as a local during outage.  I find it hard to believe that senior road techs with <3 years were making $16 during the outage.  A junior road tech >12 mos. who stayed with me during Palo's Unit 2 SGRP made $15 or $16 (plus per diem).  They can't be paying Jr. and Sr.s the same. Maybe, but hard to believe.

The word is Palo will up the wages with the next outage beginning in April.

By the way, Palo is taking applications externally for house R.P. positions.  If I remember correctly, the cut off date is February 17th.  Go to Pinnaclewest.com for information.

Unit 1 has vibration in a pipe (?).  They tried to install a vortex plate during the SGRP to fix it, but had to take it out.  Next they tried weights on the line, but also had to take them out.  I believe the plan is now to install snubbers.  Thus, if I remember correctly, the plant was only running at about 20 some odd percent last week.  Can't bring her up until the vibration is fixed or managed in some way.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #138 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:05 »
Local pay rate $25 per hour in outage, $16 per hour out of outage?!  They have separate pay rates for in/out of outage?!!!  You've GOT to be kidding me!  Oh well.
As long as people keep filling slots for that money, APS will keep low balling on the pay.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #139 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:16 »
c'mon punk...i thought i told you all that???
HPKC...the rates i gave in my last post were the rates given to me from the office last week for the upcoming outage in the spring...couple hundred a week isn't much of a bump...glad it happened...was long over-due.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #140 on: Mar 11, 2006, 07:31 »
A section of safety injection piping realized increase in vibration following startup after a refueling a few cycles ago. The only big ticket items during that outage were core barrel inspection and greater-than-usual number of SG tubes plugged. The hope, of course, was that the latter would prove to be the culprit; unfortunately, with brand new, mostly not plugged SGs the problem did not go away. Unit 1 will shut down next weekend for 6 days to install two pressure transmitters on SI piping in an attempt to gather more precise data about the vibration. Ultimate fix (at this point, anyway) is to shut down in June and relocate suction valve such that it is physically closer to the RCS.
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Fermi2

« Reply #141 on: Mar 11, 2006, 09:43 »
At what power is the Unit currently operating?

JnyMac

« Reply #142 on: Mar 11, 2006, 01:38 »
I believe they are currently sitting around 25%.  We can't seem to get the rid of the vibes.

Fermi2

« Reply #143 on: Mar 11, 2006, 01:47 »
Have they determined the root cause? It doesn't make sense to just sit at 25% power for months if you know what the cause is and can't fix it at power. Unless of course you're at a peak season and every bit helps.

Mike

GoingCivilian

« Reply #144 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:18 »
Hello All. I've been browsing this site now for a few hours and can't tell you how excited I am about the plethora of information here. It looks like quite a few of you spend a good deal of time here answering questions for newbies like me, so thank you.

Anyway, looking to move back to AZ. I love the Phoenix area. Getting out of the NAVY after 6 1/2 years of fun in July 2006. Was not going to stay in the nuclear community until I realized that most of the things I don't like about being a navy nuke would go away if I was a civilian...

I started on the Thomas Edison Nuc degree, but changed to Old Dominion University Mech Eng Tech. Needless to say, the curriculum is more extensive. I've taken 35 credit hours of engineering classes and still have about 6 or seven classes left.

Most of the posts I have seen to do with my questions are a little outdated, so I thought I might throw them up again. I apologize if I just missed them.

Are they currently hiring Operators at Palo Verde?
What is the salary I could expect initially and later on (year or 2)?
Will not being finished with my degree hinder getting hired?
I have always been a hot runner. Will this open doors for promotions or opportunites?
Is there a class up coming up soon?
Didn't see operator jobs posted on website or monster, so if they are hiring who should I contact? I saw info for Reggie Taylor, but it was a couple years ago.

Thanks ahead of time for all your help.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #145 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:33 »
JnyMac, you wanna take this one?   ;D
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #146 on: Apr 02, 2006, 05:27 »
Wow!  Atlantic has a posting for techs at PV, and they're taking 18.1's now? 
Hmmmmmmmmm.................Ti mes are a changin'.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #147 on: Apr 02, 2006, 10:40 »
Wow!  Atlantic has a posting for techs at PV, and they're taking 18.1's now? 
Hmmmmmmmmm.................Ti mes are a changin'.

When I looked, it said $30/hr and $60/day

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #148 on: Apr 02, 2006, 04:47 »
$60/day was decent per-diem, back in '93. ;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #149 on: Apr 02, 2006, 08:52 »
$60/day was decent per-diem, back in '93. ;)
No it wasn't ;)  But that is what they paid then, lol.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?