Pilgram

Above Average
20 (31.3%)
Average
18 (28.1%)
Below Average
26 (40.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Pilgrim  (Read 126526 times)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Pilgrim
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2007, 12:39 »
Let me clarify my earlier statement.
You can use a PAC on stainless, but the airborne Hex Chrome is about 30 micrograms per cubic meter.  This is 6 times the PEL.  Even in a respirator, you would have to track the hours of exposure, take air samples, use HEPA ventillation, have medical evaluations done .... yada, yada, yada.
Lately, TIG welding is the only weld process that doesn't allow for the oxydation of Chromium to Cr-VI.  Maybe dual-shield flux core as well, but I haven't looked into that yet.  SMAW (stick) welding is almost as bad as the plasma arc cutting according to the air samples I have seen.
Since they lowered the PEL from 50 to 5 ug/m3, the world of stainless work has gotten a lot harder to navigate.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2007, 11:58 »
And every facility has their on interpretation of these new guidelines, making it even harder for the world of stainless cutting and welding.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

LaFeet

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2007, 10:14 »
And every facility has their on interpretation of these new guidelines, making it even harder for the world of stainless cutting and welding.

I thought all you needed was a blow dryer, half face mask, and a lot of acetylene ::)

larsorad

« Reply #103 on: Dec 22, 2007, 03:02 »
This isn't really any response to a positive or negative posting about pilgrim, but the plant is a good place to work full time. There will most likely be a few house tech positions being posted here very soon. In the past, we've hired techs who were familiar freinds of present house tech's and  that has turned out well.  What the heck , send in a resume. We are a factor (or so, we like to think) in who gets the nod. Our staffing #'s are small and we could use some help. ::)

Blaxmas

Applying to Pilgrim? Help!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 28, 2008, 01:08 »
Hey, people.  This is my first post on the nukeworker forums.  I've had my 2nd class fireman's license for a few months and have zero success finding a job.  I'm interested in applying at Pilgrim but I cannot even find a WEBSITE for Pilgrim.  When I search "pilgrim nuclear" (or something similar) it just brings up a bunch of sites PROTESTING it!  All these power plants these days require that you apply through their website.  Anyone know the pilgrim site URL or how to apply?  Thanks!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Applying to Pilgrim? Help!
« Reply #105 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:22 »
Hey, people.  This is my first post on the nukeworker forums.  I've had my 2nd class fireman's license for a few months and have zero success finding a job.  I'm interested in applying at Pilgrim but I cannot even find a WEBSITE for Pilgrim.  When I search "pilgrim nuclear" (or something similar) it just brings up a bunch of sites PROTESTING it!  All these power plants these days require that you apply through their website.  Anyone know the pilgrim site URL or how to apply?  Thanks!

Pilgrim is part ofthe Entergy system -
Entergy posts their jobs right here on Nukeworker

The website is www.entergy.com for the company page.

Good Luck, most of the fire brigade is covered by plant operators though....
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

ookiewookie

« Reply #106 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:19 »
Pilgrim is my favorite place to work.  Well, this one and Comanche Peak.  House techs and most other departments are friendly.  The plant is small and easy to learn your way around.  I'm not too crazy about it being an Entergy plant as I think Entergy does not treat its employees terribly well.  But overall, a great place to work and above all I like its location location location. 

Fermi2

« Reply #107 on: Feb 29, 2008, 08:22 »
I had heard at one time Pilgrim was a dose trap, is that still true?

Motown homey

« Reply #108 on: Mar 01, 2008, 05:09 »
I had heard at one time Pilgrim was a dose trap, is that still true?

They've been better over the last five or six years, but last year had some problems during their outage.  They just put in Noble metals and expect a big boost from that for dose control.

LaFeet

« Reply #109 on: Apr 06, 2008, 09:55 »
Dose was down by a Large factor for last outage.....hoping to go there in the Spring.

Hey Shine... Brian, whats going on out there????  Ive been asked to go there in May???

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #110 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:37 »
Pilgrim is part ofthe Entergy system -
Entergy posts their jobs right here on Nukeworker

The website is www.entergy.com for the company page.

Good Luck, most of the fire brigade is covered by plant operators though....

A second class fireman's license has nothing to do with firefighting.  It is a license to operate a boiler.  Most fossil plants hire people with Stationary Engineer and Fireman Licenses but nukes do not unless they transfer over from a fossil unit.  Then, of course, their licenses become useless.
Firefighters put out fires - firemen keep them going!
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #111 on: Apr 07, 2008, 02:47 »
A second class fireman's license has nothing to do with firefighting.  It is a license to operate a boiler.  Most fossil plants hire people with Stationary Engineer and Fireman Licenses but nukes do not unless they transfer over from a fossil unit.  Then, of course, their licenses become useless.
Firefighters put out fires - firemen keep them going!
Thank you for the info Obi-wan, technical terminology and the english language can be confusing.  :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #112 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:18 »
Was told that the Pilgrim job listed was for strike contingency. They want people trained to come in and work in case there is one.

What's up?

ramdog_1

« Reply #113 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:32 »
  I do not know what is going on it is a hard choice to make but we are not coming from the hall.
what to do I liked it there been there years ago. If I could go I would be  there had fun down at white horse beach. it was the last time I seen Dirty Murdy and Bill Thew. where are they now?

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2008, 04:54 by ramdog_1 »

LaFeet

« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2008, 12:12 »
Sounds like everything is running a bit smoother -  the strike being averted.  Hope the best for youse guys and dolls up there.  I expect to see you all in the spring.

Motown homey

« Reply #115 on: Jun 16, 2008, 01:42 »
Organizational Announcement from Pilgrom Communications Staff

On Monday, June 23rd,  John ‘Jack’ Priest will be joining the Pilgrim team to take on the role of Radiological Protection Manager.

Jack comes to us from Fermi 2, Detroit Edison, where he has held both the positions of Radiation Protection Manager and Radiation Protection Superintendent.  His experience includes assignments at First Energy, Davis Besse and Perry Nuclear Power Stations, Westinghouse Hanford, and United Nuclear Corp.  Jack hails from Boston and is a graduate of Lowell University with a Bachelor of Science in Radiological Health Physics.

There will be a transition period before Jack fully assumes the RPM responsibilities; I expect turnover to be complete by early July.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank Bill Mauro, and Tom McElhinney, who have helped lead the RP Department this year and have worked diligently to help all of us be successful and safe radiation workers.

Please welcome Jack as he begins his assignment as a new member of our Pilgrim team. 

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #116 on: Apr 02, 2009, 07:52 »
Good Restaurants:

Wood's Fish...at the north end of the waterfront, by the fishing charter boats.   Wood's is also a fish market, so you can check out the seafood before you order it.  I recommend the grilled swordfish, but the fried fish & scallops are good, too.  (Note:  downtown Plymouth & the waterfront are a zoo on the weekends...try Wood's for lunch or early supper on a weekday...they close at 7pm on weekdays during the winter.)

Bangna Gardens (Thai food)...take exit 9 (Kingston) and head west...you go maybe a couple of miles...it's on the right as soon as you cross the railroad tracks (across from the post office).  I've been eating Thai food for 20 years & Bangna Gardens is the most consistently good-to-great Thai cooking I've found.  We're trying to sample everything on the menu - about halfway through it.  Everything has been good, but I especially recommend the pineapple soup & tamarind duck.

....and, a bit further afield, Antonio's in New Bedford has great Portuguese food!  (Try the chicken Antonio.)  267 Coggeshall St...take the Coggeshall exit and hang a left...Antonio's is a couple of lights down on the right.

And if you make it to Fall River, try the Waterstreet Cafe for dinner & catch a show at Narrows Center for the Arts...both are located under the bridge by Battleship Cove & the Maritime Museum, so easy to find.

Boston:  I like to stop for dim sum at Hei La Moon...88 Beach St just outside Chinatown (across from the arch).  Very authentic (95% of the clientele & wait-staff won't be speaking English)...and a great value...easy to feed 4 people for $25.  And then wander over to Chinatown and have a bubble tea for dessert.

Honorable mention:  The Indian place & Thai place in downtown Plymouth are above average, but over-priced.  The gourmet Brazilian place in North Plymouth has an interesting buffet (plus churrasco meat on the weekends).

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2009, 08:19 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2009, 03:23 »
Kiskadee Coffee downtown makes some kickass panini.  Try the chicken pesto.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #118 on: Jun 18, 2009, 11:55 »
Good Restaurants:

Wood's Fish...at the north end of the waterfront, by the fishing charter boats.   Wood's is also a fish market, so you can check out the seafood before you order it.  I recommend the grilled swordfish, but the fried fish & scallops are good, too.  (Note:  downtown Plymouth & the waterfront are a zoo on the weekends...try Wood's for lunch or early supper on a weekday...they close at 7pm on weekdays during the winter.)

Bangna Gardens (Thai food)...take exit 9 (Kingston) and head west...you go maybe a couple of miles...it's on the right as soon as you cross the railroad tracks (across from the post office).  I've been eating Thai food for 20 years & Bangna Gardens is the most consistently good-to-great Thai cooking I've found.  We're trying to sample everything on the menu - about halfway through it.  Everything has been good, but I especially recommend the pineapple soup & tamarind duck.

....and, a bit further afield, Antonio's in New Bedford has great Portuguese food!  (Try the chicken Antonio.)  267 Coggeshall St...take the Coggeshall exit and hang a left...Antonio's is a couple of lights down on the right.

And if you make it to Fall River, try the Waterstreet Cafe for dinner & catch a show at Narrows Center for the Arts...both are located under the bridge by Battleship Cove & the Maritime Museum, so easy to find.

Boston:  I like to stop for dim sum at Hei La Moon...88 Beach St just outside Chinatown (across from the arch).  Very authentic (95% of the clientele & wait-staff won't be speaking English)...and a great value...easy to feed 4 people for $25.  And then wander over to Chinatown and have a bubble tea for dessert.

Honorable mention:  The Indian place & Thai place in downtown Plymouth are above average, but over-priced.  The gourmet Brazilian place in North Plymouth has an interesting buffet (plus churrasco meat on the weekends).

Hei La Moon only serves Dim Sum until about 2:30pm...as I found to my dismay the other afternoon...  :(
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #119 on: Jun 18, 2009, 10:04 »
Pilgram. In this area you can buy cranberry pancakes. From experience I can tell you there are two foods that never should be mixed together. Those are cranberries and pancakes. What were these people thinking?
No one gets out alive.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #120 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:36 »
Good Restaurants:

Add Carmela's (Italian...Kingston @ exit 9) to the list of great food!  I haven't had anything off their menu that wasn't tasty & well-prepared...

...and the British Beer Company in Cedarville (exit 2) actually has decent pizza (the New York style, not the pub style) to go with their wide beer selection.  And the salads are very nice, also.  The rest the food is generic, at best.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #121 on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:27 »
what?  have you tried this place.....obviously not.

Blue-Eyed Crab Grille And Raw Bar

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #122 on: Feb 13, 2010, 11:31 »
what?  have you tried this place.....obviously not.

Blue-Eyed Crab Grille And Raw Bar

Never even heard of it...but it's almost lunch time, so guess we'll head down there now...I'll let you know what I think...

Oh...another place that's worth a stop, if you are up towards Quincy, is Firefly's.  Best barbecue joint I've found north of the Mason-Dixon line.  Take the Furnace Brook exit and head towards Quincy...it's on the northwest corner of Furnace Brook & Adams, behind the gas station.   We had dinner there last night and stuck with our standby meal of pulled pork with Memphis sauce, pan-seared vegetables, & sweet potato pecan pudding...but they have about 6 barbecue sauces, 50 hot sauces, 2 kinds of ribs, 2 kinds of brisket....  :)

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #123 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:21 »
Heading up to Pilgrim for First Line Supervisor interview....

...any idea what a nuclear dept supervisor makes ballpark?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #124 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:44 »
Heading up to Pilgrim for First Line Supervisor interview....

...any idea what a nuclear dept supervisor makes ballpark?

$110K +/-10%...and that is just a best guess, because I haven't looked at a posting in about a year...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?