Pilgram

Above Average
20 (31.3%)
Average
18 (28.1%)
Below Average
26 (40.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Pilgrim  (Read 126549 times)

hatched

Re: Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: Jul 14, 2004, 05:06 »
Hey Hatched,

What's the Skinny?

This site is a great venue for sharing information in the Technician sector, such as this thread!

Did you ever stop and think?

Maybe the information is true, for the other techs!

Makes you wonder, RG   

Hey RG, 
Every tech is paid the same for this particular situation....and you have received the wrong info on pay.  ALL the techs are getting more than you have been told!

moodusjack

« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2004, 04:43 »
Reply to ASA1:

I'm glad your experience with ronnie and hector was memorable.  Both guys were great and I had many good times with them.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2004, 09:12 »
Ah yes, Pilgrim, I worked the outage of 1977. Spent a long three months enjoying the short commute from Whitehorse Beach to the plant. The area was nice but the plant was nasty. As a result of my experiences there it has remained on my list of do not visit again sites.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2004, 04:50 »
I had an invite back in 84, for a house mouse position.  Took the tour, then out the door!  That was back in the clean it up, fix it up days.  I told them to give me a call when they got done.  They never called, so I figured they never finished!  You got to love the area though, pricy, but nice!   

Rent-A-Cop

« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2005, 10:14 »
Sounds like most of you were there in the BECo days. Now Pilgrim is clean and at least the process building appears to be taken care of now. I can't say exactly, because my forte is security, as you could have guessed by my user name.

As far as the outbuildings go, the ones that I frequent (read: used by security & contractors) are in serious disrepair with one of the major buildings slated for demolition. But Entergy seems to take care of their own quite well.

But, in the end, sadly enough Pilgrim is still a wrecking ground for contractors, at least the permanent ones.  :(

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2005, 09:15 »
Spent a large chunk of 1978 there... some of my best horror stories were born at that site. Always get great looks of disbelief when I describe the conditions there back in the day. Never been to a place that treated contractors worse (Millstone was a not-too-close second) and there was a wildcat strike that year so things got really fun when guns got involved.

Loved the area but only enough to go back for visits, never went back to work.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

cherndo

« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2005, 10:41 »
Hey Asa, that was a good outage wasn't it.  Probably one of the easiest outages I have ever been too.  We had a great bunch of people at the Drywell that outage didn't we.  You couldn't beat the Louisiana style lobster cooking that we did also.  Hey give me a holler some time.  I've had alot of people asking about you.

Fermione

Pilgrim
« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2005, 09:55 »
Spent almost two straight years at Pillgrim back in the late eighties.  Some great people worked there then.  Terry Corbett was my boss and I couldn't have asked for any better.  I generally was assigned to Radwaste so I saw all the fun places.  I was one of the Daryls of the "this is my other brother Daryl" fame. 

You could tell it was going to be an interesting day when you open the Concentrator room door and there is melted 5 gallon resin buckets on the floor due to the radiation exposure.

One of my favorite moments was with one of Purdy's boys from the Radwaste Control Room.  We had made an entry into the Floc Recycle Room to distribute the Floc more evenly in the HIC.  I look arond the corner and Bobby Mahr is jumping up and down inside the HIC and powder is flying everywhere.  Of course I yelled at him and made him leave.  He does and exits to the adjacent room. When I go out to talk to him, he's peeing into the gutter while still wearing plastics and a respirator.  His excuse, I had to go. 

Another fond memory is being dragged to security for special questioning.  Apparently a house tech overheard a conversation and it got twisted into me having a sex, drugs, and Rock & Roll party at my house on Labor day.  While under interogation, I was able to produce two ticket stubs from the Red Sox game played on the day in question.  That ended that investigation.

All in all, the area is great, getting a little congested with all the new stores etc.  Can't beat living on the Cape. 

For all you non-new englanders, the traffic circles are called rotaries.  My observation is people don't drive any more aggressive in Massachusetts than say Phoenix, San Clemente, or any other large urban area.

Do Pilgrim at least once, you may hate the plant but the other opportunities in the surrounding area make it worth the trip.

Fermi 1

Offline Meltdown

• Moderate User
  • Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?             $upporting Member
Pilgrim Lodging
« Reply #33 on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:19 »
A coworker is heading up to Pilgrim in a couple of weeks. I haven't been there in 10 years, but am trying to help him out. Any suggestions?
Meltdown

"I know that there is an eye that watches all of us. There is a judgment that weighs everything we do. And before this great force, which is greater than any government, I stand in awe and I kneel in respect." L. Cohen

Offline Showme T. Money

• Light User
  • Senior HP Tech
« Reply #34 on: Aug 29, 2005, 09:31 »
worked there in 2001, the plant was ok, didnt like not being able to use the site restrooms for not being union.  area was nice but we worked 7/12's so no time for exploring.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #35 on: Aug 29, 2005, 01:45 »
I worked the 2001 outage too.  I used whatever restroom I wanted.  Nobody tried to stop me, and there were no signs on the doors.  Are you sure you are talking about Pilgrim?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

LaFeet

« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2005, 02:29 »
Your best bet is shacking up with several others at a winter beach house.  We managed to get one for 2000 dollars a month between the four of us.  Monumet Beach is only minutes away and cheaper than Plymouth itself.

deconcuddles

« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2005, 11:38 »
When I was there a few years ago, I stayed in Buzzards Bay.  There is quite a few motels and kitchenetts there.  The drive to the plant wasn't to bad either.  Pasted a few grocery stores on the way to pick up supper while working nights.  The prices weren't to bad then either.  Stayed at the Herring Run Motel.  Clean and the people were nice and worked with you on whatever shift you were on.

LaFeet

« Reply #38 on: Oct 23, 2005, 10:10 »
I managed to slide into Pilgrim after IP3's last outage.  What a change of scenery, both from a local view and the rad point of view.   I would love to go back to Pilgrim, perhaps even become a house tech there... the cost of housing prohibits this currently.

I am eagerly awaiting to see how Entergy incorporates all of the local and Corporate procedures / policies as they straddle the Mason-Dixon line. ???

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:44 »
As a former long-term contractor ( #@!$ Cones!! is what they called us) and house tech, I guess I have a good perspective on one of the most unique plants in the country. There's no denying the fact that it's a wrecking ball for contractors, but let me tell ya...it wasn't any day at the beach for house folk either! Still, I can fondly recall working with some of the best, funniest and craziest people in the business. I don't keep in touch with the folks back there, but I have (mostly) great memories. Also, the area is great if you have the time to spend getting to know the people and out-of-the-way places.

Oh, and Rapid...I was there and I still remember your "agreement"....
"Y'all don't understand...I'm Rapid Ray, and Rapid Ray don't DO dayshift!"
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

Hobber

« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2006, 02:20 »
Hello,
Just interviewed for RP Tech position.  Looking for current info for cost of housing and/or cheapest areas within a reasonable commute (say 45 Min.).  Also any current facility info would be apprepriated.  Thanks in advance

LA (Hobber) Hobson

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:07 »
Housing in Rhode Island isn't too bad!

LaFeet

« Reply #42 on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:24 »
Housing in Rhode Island isn't too bad!

I think I will just rent in Monumet Beach when I am up there again.....great view and more time for food, beer, wine and all those other off time activities 8)

LaFeet

« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2006, 04:57 »
I managed to run into former Pilgrim techs and management prior to my working in Plymouth.  And the dirt I have gotten on them from Pilgrim is priceless.  I can not wait to work with those characters again.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #44 on: Mar 17, 2006, 06:43 »
Lafeet ,I know you and hamsamich like pilgram because you guys are close to P-TOWN.
JUST JOKING BUDDIE

LaFeet

« Reply #45 on: Mar 17, 2006, 08:06 »
Hey NIMROD...I have to travel all the way from Okie land just to go back there...Thats how much fun I had last time 
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006, 10:28 by LaFeet »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2006, 09:49 »
Watch out for RadBastard sneaking up behind you in the men's locker room at Calvert!  I can't believe his nukeworker thing says "very heavy user".  It should still say "Lurker".

LaFeet

« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2006, 08:14 »
Watch out for RadBastard sneaking up behind you in the men's locker room at Calvert!  I can't believe his nukeworker thing says "very heavy user".  It should still say "Lurker".

You boys need to grow up...... besides, Caveman is getting jealous

LaFeet

« Reply #48 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:51 »
Just try and get me out of the British Beer Company

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #49 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:47 »
Don't hafta try.  The bars close at midnight in "America's Hometown".
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?