Pilgram

Above Average
20 (31.3%)
Average
18 (28.1%)
Below Average
26 (40.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Pilgrim  (Read 126530 times)

LaFeet

Re: Pilgrim
« Reply #50 on: Mar 21, 2006, 05:19 »
The one in BBC Cedarville stayed open later..... just down the road from where I was staying

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #51 on: Apr 03, 2006, 11:01 »
Don't hafta try.  The bars close at midnight in "America's Hometown".

Wrong.

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
Pilgrim
« Reply #52 on: Apr 24, 2006, 09:34 »
We just posted 3 jobs here at Pilgrim as of 4/24/06 if anyone is interested....

Nuke Lifer

« Reply #53 on: Oct 26, 2006, 11:38 »
You guys are stirring up some memories for me.!
I went to Pilgrim in 81, my first time away from home, supposedly for a 3 month outage. I was finally paroled in 1986 ad haven't been back since.
Working for Chem-Nuc, we had the joy of processing, packaging and shipping over 280,000 ft3 of waste while I was there. Scabs we were. After about two years of getting verbally abused, 12 hours a day, six dats a week, I finally made peace with the union boys. Eventually, they came to sit on my front porch on Manomet Point at lunchtime to enjoy the view and down a sixer.....each. Better than having a liquid lunch in your car.

The radwaste 'truck' bay was a nuclear nightmare! When you walked in there, puffs of DE dust flew up into the air. Liners would float inside of the shields from being over-flowed. I spent hours and hours full dress and face pump in that hell-hole de-watering liners. 4,999 mr/yr. every year for three years straight, give or take a few mr's.

There was a trailer on site that was staffed 24/7. Wisp was the game, 24/7 as well, always full of players and watchers.
Anyone remember baby-powder filled glove liner bombs?
Is Dana Corbett still around?

Once I left Pilgrim after five years, I had been Best man at three weddings, and made many friends in, and mostly outside the plant, that I still try to keep in touch with. Cape Codders can be a little gruff at first, but after they take you in, your friends for life. I will always consider Plymouth my second 'home'. Did a lot of growing up there and learned a lot of things. Maybe the bad examples worked out well in the long run.

One regret, I wish I had bought three or four of those salt box houses on Whithorse Beach for the $30,000 asking price back then. I wouldn't be typing this now if I had!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Miiiiserable at Pilgrim
« Reply #54 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:51 »
Sorry to hear about the people problems...but you are right. I'm a native of that area, and it's not just the weather that is cold. My family was "the new neighbors" for about 20 years.....such is that awd society called New England.  ::)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Fermione

« Reply #55 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:50 »
Sorry to here you are miserable.  I heard hoe lousy things would be in Jersey and I have found it to be quite the opposite.  The job may not be the greatest but the shore is nice as are most of the people.  As a fellow Masshole born and bred I can only suggest that you give it some time.  It may sem a little cold but not everyone came over in the boat (my sister has us coming over on my Dad's mother's side and needs only one more confirmed piece of documentation to certify).  I lived there for two years and loved it.  With the amount the area has grown in the last 10 years I hope the diverisity of people has expanded.  Good luck!  Wish I was at Pilgrim, better yet VY.
Fermione

roadhard

« Reply #56 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:45 »
I can't help but to throw in on this one.

Sweetie, - you would have thought a World Series Championship would have turned those frowns upside down - but nah - these are the same people who are so miserable they want us to be miserable too - so they vote Ted Kennedy into office term after term after term.

There are lots of plants out there looking for people - and in 8 or 9 years - they'll really be looking for people. But why wait that long - put MA in the rear view mirror now.

nukewood

« Reply #57 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:36 »
I am a very positive and optimistic person, but I left the best paying house tech job at Pilgrim over 20 years ago to save my children from the " attitude " that they started bringing home from  school. My boss informed me that if you stopped and looked both ways at a red light it was considered a sign of weakness.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:29 »
My boss informed me that if you stopped and looked both ways at a red light it was considered a sign of weakness.

"Don't make eye contact with the driver on the side road" That was one of the first things I was told when I got there and it was true, once you made eye contact they pulled out in front of you and stopping was your problem.

Bethlehemstar, I only spent a year there but have to say I enjoyed it including the people. The locals are a little narrow and anal about change which leaves roads with four times the traffic that it was designed for. Next time you can use nukeworker prior to making a desicion. ;)

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #59 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:31 »
sorry to hear how bad it is up thar, but it has to be better than raising a family on outage work...

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #60 on: Dec 08, 2006, 04:11 »
well...sorry but they call 'em M-ASSHOLES for a reason.
The plant sux too but that would be "off topic".

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #61 on: Dec 08, 2006, 05:33 »
I have to say it reminds me of my first stay in that area... when I got ready to leave there I told the locals that I know why they are such rude a_holes... that if I had to live there all the time I would be mad at the world too... but I do agree with Fermione that VY is a great place... totally different breed of Yankees up there... they just talk kinda funny! Good Luck and hope things get better!

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #62 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:45 »
I was stationed in rotten Grotten Ct  so I know what M-holes are like.  I turned down that job just because of the area. I would not subject my family to that kind of living conditions. 

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:03 »
Hey we should be fair about this bashing the New Englanders thing after all if we slam on them to hard they will start to feel bad and move south, which will qualify them for DAMN Yankee status.  Besides there are some good people up there, well ya most of them are from other parts of the country,,, aww hell never mind, I would'nt go there either.

Rob

PS The only good thing I got in Groton was my wife and she was actually from Fl (Dad retired from Navy there, eventually they along with rest of her family they moved back south, so I do not even have to travel north of the MANSON NIXION line anymore!! 
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2006, 12:04 by ChiefRocscooter »
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline earlbear11

• Very Lite User
« Reply #64 on: Dec 10, 2006, 08:47 »
 maybe you should not have applied for the job???

alphadude

« Reply #65 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:51 »
yep in general new england sucks, it is a society of consumers and how much money you can spend to look good. the area is beautiful but tooo many people stuck in their ways..  go west- the farther away you are from new england and the belt way of washington the better off you are- Then you can see what America is about..

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #66 on: Dec 13, 2006, 11:06 »
Man, what a bunch of ignorant comments!  That's like saying every one down south chews tobacco and watches NASCAR. How many "rude, damn yankees" are holding a gun to your head to keep you from quitting?

alphadude

« Reply #67 on: Dec 13, 2006, 12:22 »
the voice of experience usually doesnt mean ignorance- which means a lack of knowledge.  i would say that the statements are more prejudice with little to no ignorance demonstrated actually.

Besides we don't really care how they do it on long island. 

Offline Llama

• License Termination Manager
  • Moderate User
  • Have you hugged a llama today?
« Reply #68 on: Dec 13, 2006, 01:03 »
That's like saying every one down south chews tobacco and watches NASCAR.

Hey Shine! Ya forgot about the Fishin Channel  lol

Take care my friend

See ya this weekend MARSSIM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:36 »
Well, I really just want to whine.  And maybe someone out there can make me feel better about this.
Well, I did whine, and I do apologize for that. And I did get some sympathy (which I think is all I was really looking for, and it made me feel better!)

Those of us men who have been married successfully for a long period of time have been educated (beaten down and whipped for you single men) and recognize venting. We know these are "Yes Dear" moments, but sometimes the devil makes us give our wives real advice. I hope this venting session helped and that you find the people there are fundamentally like any one else. My perception of those in high population densities is that they are suspicious of overly friendly people, but make very good friends once they get to know you. You don't have to wonder what someone from Boston thinks. they will tell you. I am from the midwest and found that I had to make an adjustment to New Englanders and Southerners. Good luck and enjoy yourself there is plenty to do in Boston and out on the Cape.

alphadude

« Reply #70 on: Dec 13, 2006, 03:03 »
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 13, 2006, 03:19 »
Having worked there for quite a bit of time and having married a local, My opinion is that there's no "secret word or funny handshake". I quickly came to the realization that while certain areas of the country consider the behavior of New Englanders to be rude, THEY believe that they are showing a "polite reserve". They are just as confused by the outgoing familiarity that Southerners and Mid-Westerers feel is normal. Once I realized this, I started treating the locals with (to my mind) a stand-off attitude until the person got to know me. Once I was known and accepted, the friendships I made there have lasted almost 30 years now.

Having said that, I understand how it would be hard for a single mom to be out in the community meeting and interacting with locals...and I mean locals, not plant folk... but until you do, I'm afraid you're stuck being the newbie. Hope things get better for you, as the good parts of the area are incredible.
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

alphadude

« Reply #72 on: Dec 13, 2006, 04:11 »
yep it cold up thar more ways than one...

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #73 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:10 »
Talk about Pilgrim thread???

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #74 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:28 »
Talk about Pilgrim thread???

As you wish ;D

Sounds like the logical place to be a this point... ::)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?