Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu

Nuclear Pictures

NukeWorker online photo album.


National Guard Armory

The National Guard Armory, located in Chicago, Illinois, is owned by the State of Illinois. Between 1942 and 1951, the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) leased the building and used it to store and process uranium metal and as the central procurement and shipping location for the MED Metallurgical Laboratory. In 1951, MEDís successor, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, terminated use of the building and the property was returned to the State of Illinois.

Radiological characterizations of the Armory in 1977, 1978, and 1987 indicated that residual radioactive material contamination exceeded DOE guidelines. In 1987 and 1988, DOE removed contaminated waste from interior building surfaces and exterior catch basins and soils. DOE certified that the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria and released the property for unrestricted use in 1989.

natlguard_map.jpg
File information
Filename:natlguard_map.jpg
Album name:Rennhack / National Guard Armory
Filesize:15 KiB
Date added:Mar 22, 2009
Dimensions:197 x 326 pixels
Displayed:222 times
URL:https://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-7471.html
Favorites:Add to Favorites


NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2019 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?