Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu

Nuclear Pictures

NukeWorker online photo album.


Albany Metallurgical Research Center


albany_map.jpg

1450 Queen Avenue, S.W. , Albany , Oregon

Albany Research Center, owned by the U.S. Bureau of Mines, is located in Albany, Oregon. Metallurgical research was conducted at this site for the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission and the Energy Research and Development Administration from 1948 to 1978. Radioactive materials, including thorium and uranium, contaminated buildings, equipment, and soils.

The U.S. Bureau of Mines remediated portions of the site from 1948 to 1978. DOE conducted additional remediation of buildings, equipment, and soils under FUSRAP in 1987, 1988, 1990, and 1991. In 1992, DOE certified that, with the exception of areas where supplemental limits were applied, applicable cleanup criteria had been achieved, and the site was released for unrestricted use.

No institutional controls are in effect at the site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Legacy management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.

5 files, last one added on Apr 30, 2006
Album viewed 377 times

Aliquippa Forge


aliquippa_map.jpg

100 First Streeet , Aliquippa , Pennsylvania

Aliquippa Forge Site, now owned by the Beaver County Corporation for Economic Development, is located in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. The Vulcan Crucible Steel Company heated and rolled uranium metal into rods for the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) from 1948 to 1949, resulting in contamination of building exterior surfaces, equipment, and soil.

The former owner decontaminated the site to then-applicable guidelines in 1950 while under contract with AEC. DOE conducted additional remediation under FUSRAP in 1988, 1993, and 1994. In 1996, DOE certified that, with the exception of areas where supplemental limits were applied, applicable cleanup criteria had been achieved, and the site was released for unrestricted use.

No institutional controls are in effect at the site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Legacy management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.

7 files, last one added on Apr 30, 2006
Album viewed 487 times

Baker & Williams Warehouse


baker_map.jpg

513-519, 521-527, and 529-535 West 20th Street , New York , New York

The Baker and Williams Warehouses Site was used by the Manhattan Engineer District in the early 1940s for the short-term storage of uranium concentrates that were later distributed to government facilities involved in nuclear reactor and atomic weapons programs.

In 1990, DOE designated the site for remediation under FUSRAP. DOE remediated contaminated areas in two of the three warehouses and certified that the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria and standards in 1995. The property was released for unrestricted use.

No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Legacy management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.

4 files, last one added on Apr 30, 2006
Album viewed 473 times

Beaver Valley


BEAVER_VALLEY.jpg

Beaver Valley Power Station is a two-unit nuclear power plant covering 500 acres of western Pennsylvania.

12 files, last one added on Jan 31, 2010
Album viewed 1917 times

Bettis Atomic Power Lab (BAPL)


betis_map.jpg

For more than 50 years, the Bettis Laboratory in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania has been developing advanced naval nuclear propulsion technology and providing technical support to ensure the safe and reliable operation of our nation's submarine and aircraft carrier fleets.

814 Pittsburgh Mckeesport Blvd
West Mifflin, PA 15122, United States
Phone: 412 476 5000

3 files, last one added on Dec 20, 2005
Album viewed 618 times

Bliss & Laughlin, New York


bliss_map.jpg

110 Hopkins Street, Buffalo, New York

The Bliss & Laughlin Site was formerly owned by the Bliss & Laughlin Steel Company. During September and October of 1952, the Bliss & Laughlin Steel Company, under contract to National Lead of Ohio, machined and straightened uranium rods at the site. All radiologically contaminated equipment was removed and replaced at the close of the uranium machining operation. The site is currently owned by the Niagara LaSalle Corporation.

2 files, last one added on Apr 30, 2006
Album viewed 312 times

Brookhaven National Lab


ags-1meter.jpg

7 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2008
Album viewed 661 times

Burrell Disposal Cell


bur_map.jpg

Uranium and other ores were processed at Canonsburg,
Pennsylvania, between 1911 and 1966. This milling
operation generated process-related waste and tailings,
a sandlike material containing radioactive materials and
other contaminants associated with the ore. In 1956 and
1957, tailings were removed from the Canonsburg site
and transported for use as fill on privately owned rail-road
property at Burrell Township, near Blairsville, Pennsylvania.
The Federal Government acquired the Burrell Disposal
Site through condemnation proceedings in 1986. The
U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) encapsulated the
tailings in an engineered disposal cell at the Burrell site
in 1987.

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission included the
Burrell Disposal Cell under general license in 1994. DOE is
responsible, under the general license, for the long-term
custody, monitoring, and maintenance of the site. The
DOE Long-Term Surveillance and Maintenance (LTSM)
Program at the DOE Grand Junction (Colorado) Office is
responsible for the long-term safety and integrity of the
disposal site.

In 1988, DOE established the LTSM Program to provide
stewardship of disposal cells that contain low-level
radioactive material after completion of environmental
restoration activities. The mission of the LTSM Program
is to ensure that the disposal cells continue to prevent
release of contaminated materials to the environment.
These materials will remain potentially hazardous for
thousands of years. As long as the cells function as
designed, risks to human health and the environment
are negligible

5 files, last one added on Apr 30, 2006
Album viewed 330 times

Calvert Cliffs


CAlvert_Cliffs_14.jpg

The Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant made history. In 2000, it became the first U.S. nuclear power plant to receive a license extension (20-years) from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Soon after, South Carolina's Oconee plant also received a license extension reflecting what many regard as a change in the fortunes of the nuclear industry. History and trends aside, the plant is actually in a relatively quiet spot. It occupies a modest 380 acres of its 2,100-acre site, the rest being maintained in a natural state.

35 files, last one added on Aug 10, 2010
Album viewed 1766 times

Canonsburg Mill


can_map.jpg

Location: The Canonsburg mill site is located in the Borough of Canonsburg, Washington County, Pennsylvania.

Background: From 1911 to 1922, the Standard Chemical Company operated a radium extraction plant on a 19-acre site in Canonsburg. Between 1930-1942, uranium and radium salts were extracted at the Canonsburg plant from residues and uranium ore. From 1942 to 1957, Vitro Manufacturing Company (later the Vitro Corporation of America) operated a mill at the site to recover uranium and rare metals from various ores and onsite residues, government-owned uranium ore, process concentrates, and scrap materials. The uranium concentrates produced by Vitro were sold to the U.S. Government. The waste products that accumulated at the site over its long history include residues generated by the incomplete extraction of radium, uranium, and other metals during processing of ore, byproduct chemical precipitates such as iron oxides and gypsum, process solutions, raw unprocessed ore materials, and uranium mill tailings. The total quantity of uranium/radium-bearing materials that were processed at the Canonsburg site during the periods of operation is not readily calculated based on the total radioactive waste volumes reported in the literature for the Canonsburg and Burrell sites. The uranium mill tailings were initially stored in uncovered piles, and the tailings material became dispersed by wind and water erosion. Some tailings material were also removed from the mill site for use as fill in local and regional construction projects. In 1956 and 1957, about 11,600 tons of mill tailings from the Canonsburg site were relocated to a railroad property near Blairsville in Burrell Township, Pennsylvania. After the Vitro uranium mill was closed down in 1957, the site was used until about 1966 as a storage facility under a contract issued by the Atomic Energy Commission. The land was purchased in 1967 by private interests and eventually became the Canon Industrial Park, a commercial park for light industrial use.

3 files, last one added on Jan 24, 2006
Album viewed 333 times

Chapman Valve


chap_map.jpg

203 Hampshire Street , Indian Orchard , Massachusetts

The Chapman Valve Site, located in Indian Orchard, Massachusetts, is privately owned. Interior surfaces of a former building at this site were contaminated in 1948 by machining of uranium metal for the Manhattan Engineer District and the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission to support Brookhaven National Laboratory defense-related projects.

DOE designated the site for remediation under FUSRAP in 1992. Remediation was completed in 1995. DOE certified that the site conformed to applicable cleanup criteria and standards and released the property for unrestricted use. The building was subsequently demolished, leaving only the concrete slab.

No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Legacy management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.

4 files, last one added on Apr 30, 2006
Album viewed 340 times

Colonie


cosi1.gif

Colonie Site, NY (FUSRAP Site)

The Colonie Site is located in the Town of Colonie in Albany County, New York, approximately 6.5 kilometers (four miles) northwest of downtown Albany. The site was owned and operated by National Lead Industries from the late 1930s to the 1980s. The site was first used as a foundry, and it was later used to manufacture thorium and depleted uranium products. Cleanup efforts began and materials containing low levels of radioactivity were removed from all but three of the vicinity properties and stored inside the site’s main building for future disposition. The other three properties are adjacent to the site and will be cleaned up when the site’s grounds are remediated. EM completed this site as a part of the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). The FUSRAP Program was transferred to the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in 1997, in accordance with the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act for FY 1998. Cleanup responsibilities transferred at that time from DOE-EM to the USACE.

3 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 260 times

Connecticut Yankee (Haddam Neck)


ct-yankee.jpg

The plant was shut down on July 22, 1996. The fuel was removed from the reactor vessel on November 5, 1996. The owner submitted certification of permanent cessation of operations on December 5, 1996. The post-shutdown decommissioning activities report (PSDAR) was submitted August 22, 1997. The PSDAR public meeting was held on October 27, 1997. The owner submitted a License Termination Plan (LTP) on July 7, 2000. A public meeting on the LTP was held October 17, 2000. NRC completed its review of the LTP on November 25, 2002. The owner is using the DECON option.

45 files, last one added on Jul 17, 2006
Album viewed 1387 times

Cornell University, NY



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Fitzpatrick (James A. Fitzpatrick)


FitzPatrick.jpg

The Fitzpatrick plant is located near Oswego, New York. The 900-acre site is also the location of two other General Electric boiling water reactors: Nine Mile Point units 1 and 2.

11 files, last one added on Sep 16, 2005
Album viewed 1556 times

Ginna (RE Ginna, Robert E. Ginna)


ginna1.jpg

Rochester Gas & Electric's Ginna nuclear plant is near Rochester, New York. It is a single unit Westinghouse 2-Loop pressurize light water reactor, similar to those at Point Beach, Kewaunee, and Prairie Island.

48 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2009
Album viewed 1195 times

Hope Creek


HopeCreek-Salem.jpg

Hope Creek nuclear power plant occupies an artificial island in Lower Alloways Creek Township, New Jersey. The island is three miles long and a mile wide. Also occupying the site are the two units of the Salem Creek plant.

10 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2009
Album viewed 2120 times

Indian Point


indian_point_08.jpg

The Indian Point power plant is located on 239 acres in Buchanan, Westchester County, New York. The original owner, Consolidated Edison, was one of the first utilities to purchase their own simulator for training the reactor operators and supervisors licensed by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

31 files, last one added on Feb 22, 2010
Album viewed 1496 times

Kellex/Pierpont


kellex_map.jpg

Kellex/Pierpont, Jersey City, NJ

Ownership of the Kellex/Pierpont Site, located in Jersey City, New Jersey, is divided between private interests and Jersey City. The Kellex Corporation was formed in 1943 to conduct engineering research in gaseous diffusion for uranium enrichment for the Manhattan Engineer District and the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC). From 1943 to 1953, site activities focused on fuel reprocessing and component testing with uranium hexafluoride, development of a solvent extraction process for the recovery of uranium, gas decontamination studies, and decontamination of waste streams.

DOE conducted a radiological survey of the site in 1977, and remediated those portions of the site with radioactive contamination between 1979 and 1983. DOE certified that the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria in September 1983 and, with State of New Jersey concurrence, released the property for unrestricted use.

1 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 251 times

Knolls Atomic Power Lab - Kesselring (KAPL)


051207kesselring.jpg

Knolls Atomic Power Lab (KAPL) - Kesselring (West Milton, NY)

5 files, last one added on Dec 07, 2005
Album viewed 967 times

Limerick


limerickL.jpg

Most of the plant structures are in Montgomery County. This facility is near Philadelphia.

22 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2009
Album viewed 1186 times

Linde Air Products


linde.jpg

Linde Air Products (FUSRAP Site)
Linde Air Products Divisin, Tonawanda NY

The Linde Air Products Site is located in the Town of Tonawanda, New York, approximately five kilometers (three miles) northwest of Buffalo. The site was used for uranium processing for the Manhattan Engineer District and the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), predecessor agencies for the US Department of Energy. Waste generated from the uranium processing was stored at the Ashland #1 site, Ashland #2 site and the Seaway Landfill. Radioactive contaminates were found to include uranium, radium and thorium. The site was part of the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). The FUSRAP Program was transferred to the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in 1997, in accordance with the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act for FY 1998. Cleanup responsibilities transferred at that time from DOE-EM to the USACE.

9 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 316 times

Maine Yankee


maine_yankee_04.jpg

The Maine Yankee power plant is a nuclear power station with a 920MW capacity, which began commercial service in 1972, four years after construction started, at a cost of 231 Million to build.. It is located in Wiscasset, Maine, USA.

27 files, last one added on Sep 13, 2008
Album viewed 2204 times

Massachusetts Institute of Technology



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Maywood Chemical Works


macw2.gif

Maywood Chemical Works (FUSRAP Site)
AKA "U. S. Radium Maywood Site", NJ

Maywood Chemical Works is located in a highly developed area of Bergen County in New Jersey. Maywood Chemical Works extracted thorium and rare earth elements from monazite sands fro use in commercial properties until 1956. Radioactive waste migrated to surrounding areas throughout the site’s operation, contaminating both soil and water. Stephan Company acquired Maywood Chemical Works in the 1950s and initiated cleanup efforts. In the 1980s, contamination in the form of thorium, uranium and radium as well as some heavy metals and rare earth elements, were still found onsite. In 1984, the site was added to the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). The FUSRAP Program was transferred to the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in 1997, in accordance with the Energy and Water Appropriations Act of 1998. Cleanup responsibilities transferred at that time from DOE-EM to the USACE.

2 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 294 times

Middlesex


middlesexnorth_map.jpg

Middlesex Sampling Plant (FUSRAP Site), Middlesex NJ &
Middlesex Municipal Landfill Site, Middlesex NJ


The Middlesex Sampling Plant is located in the Borough of Middlesex in New Jersey, approximately 56 kilometers (35 miles) northeast of Trenton and 42 kilometers (26 miles) southwest of Newark. The plant was established by the Manhattan Engineering District (MED), an early predecessor to the US Department of Energy (DOE), to sample, store and ship uranium and thorium ores. When MED operations ended in 1955, the Atomic Energy Agency (AEC), used this site to store and sample thorium. Primary contaminants at the site included uranium, radium, thorium, lead and organics. In the 1960s, all operations were terminated and all remaining thorium sampling activities were transferred. When AEC activities ended on the site, the area was decontaminated. EM completed this site as part of the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). The FUSRAP Program was transferred to the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in 1997, in accordance with the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act for FY 1998.

Ownership of the Middlesex North Site, located in Middlesex, New Jersey, is divided between the Middlesex Presbyterian Church and the Borough of Middlesex. In 1948, approximately 6,000 cubic yards of soil with radioactive contamination from the Middlesex Sampling Plant was disposed of at the landfill.

In 1961, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission removed a portion of contaminated soil from the site and covered the area with 2 feet of clean soil. DOE designated the site for remediation under FUSRAP in 1980. In 1984 and 1986, DOE removed contaminated material from an area of approximately 3 acres at depths of 1 to 19 feet. DOE certified that the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria and released the property for unrestricted use in April 1989.

3 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 254 times

Millstone


milstone_01.jpg

Millstone units 2 and 3 are located at a former quarry in Waterford, Connecticut. The site covers about 500 acres. The Millstone complex was built by a consortium of utilities. Both units were shut down between 1996 and 1998 due to safety problems. Millstone 1 was shut down in November 1995 before being permanently closed in July 1998. Units 2 and 3 were sold and continue to operate.

12 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2005
Album viewed 1042 times

New Brunswick Laboratory


deer_in_front_of_sign.jpg

New Brunswick Lab, New Brunswick NJ

From 1948 to 1977, the New Brunswick Site, located in New Brunswick, New Jersey, operated as a general nuclear chemistry laboratory performing radiochemical analyses for the Manhattan Engineer District and the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission.

The site was partially remediated in two phases between 1978 and 1983, including removal of all aboveground structures, contaminated concrete foundations and on-site drain liners, and contaminated soils on the front two-thirds of the property. In 1990, DOE designated the site for additional remediation of residual soil contamination under FUSRAP. DOE remediated localized areas of contamination identified in 1996 and certified that the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria and standards in September 2001. The property was released for unrestricted use.

12 files, last one added on Feb 02, 2016
Album viewed 287 times

Niagara Falls Storage Site


niagara_map.jpg

This site, located in Lewiston, New York, consists of 25 properties sold to private owners; the properties were formerly part of the Lake Ontario Ordnance Works. Another portion of the former ordnance works was transferred to the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission and became the Niagara Falls Storage Site.

Beginning in 1944, the Manhattan Engineer District stored uranium processing residues, uranium metal, and radiological waste at the Niagara Falls Storage Site. Radiological surveys of the site between 1970 and 1980 indicated that residual contamination had migrated off the Niagara Falls Storage Site primarily through drainage ditches and exceeded FUSRAP guidelines on 23 separate parcels, along a public right-of-way, and in the drainage ditches. Beginning in 1983, DOE remediated most of the vicinity properties to a condition that allows unrestricted use. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will complete closeout activities for the remaining properties.

1 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 317 times

Nine Mile Point


Nine_Mile_02.jpg

Nine Mile Point 1 and 2 are sited near Oswego, New York. The 900-acre site is also occupied by the Fitzpatrick nuclear plant. Nine Mile Point 1 is one of the Nation's two oldest reactors still in service.

8 files, last one added on Jun 21, 2004
Album viewed 1172 times

Oyster Creek


oyster-creek.jpg

The Oyster Creek power plant is located on an 800-acre site at Forked River, New Jersey. Cooling water for the reactor is obtained from the Atlantic Ocean.

7 files, last one added on Mar 11, 2005
Album viewed 949 times

Peach Bottom


Peach-Bottom.jpg

The history of Peach Bottom is a long one. Philadelphia Electric became one of the pioneers in the commercial nuclear industry when it ordered Peach Bottom 1 in 1958. The Nation's first nuclear power plant had gone on line a year earlier. Unit 1 operated from 1966 to 1974. The other two units are still in operation on the 620-acre site.

9 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2009
Album viewed 1353 times

Pennsylvania State University



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Pilgrim


Pilgrim_01.jpg

The Pilgrim plant occupies a 1,600-acre site in historic Plymouth, Massachusetts in Plymouth County.

12 files, last one added on Feb 24, 2010
Album viewed 1040 times

Princeton Plasma Physics Lab (PPPL)


nstx.jpg

Princeton Plasma Physic Laboratory

The Princeton Plasma Physic Laboratory is located on 36 hectares (88.5 acres) of property leased from Princeton University on the James Forrestal Campus, in Plainsboro Township, Middlesex County, New Jersey. The primary mission of the site is to conduct magnetic confinement plasma physics research and investigates the possible application of fusion power as an energy source. Historically, the lab was involved in fusion energy programs sponsored by the US Department of Energy (DOE). Past activities contaminated the soil and groundwater with petroleum, hydrocarbons and solvents. Some of the metal contaminated soil was disposed of at a commercial facility permitted to accept hazardous waste. The rest of the soil was removed and disposed of offsite. Surface waters from building sump pumps are discharged into a lined stormwater detention basin, which discharges into a nearby brook. The discharge to the brook is monitored in compliance with a State of New Jersey surface water discharge permit. Long-term stewardship activities include the monitoring of groundwater to prevent contaminants from migrating offsite. Remediation was completed in FY 1999.

27 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 435 times

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Rhode Island Atomic Energy Commission



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Salem


HopeCreek-Salem~0.jpg

The Salem nuclear power plant is located on a 700-acre site near Salem, New Jersey. The plant shares a three mile long island with the Hope Creek nuclear station.

11 files, last one added on Apr 07, 2005
Album viewed 843 times

Saxton


saxton_1.jpg

The plant was shut down in May 1972, and in February 1975 was placed in SAFSTOR until 1986, when phased dismantlement began with removal of support buildings, contaminated soil, and some material in the containment. The owner submitted a decommissioning plan in 1996, which became the PSDAR. All spent fuel has been removed from the site. The NRC approved an amendment request in 1998 to allow dismantlement under 50.59. The reactor vessel with internals, steam generator, and pressurizer have been shipped to Barnwell for disposal. The owner submitted a License Termination Plan (LTP) in February 1999, but had to resubmit the plan in February 2000 to provide sufficient information for an acceptance review. A public meeting on the LTP was held on May 25, 2000, at the Saxton Fire Hall to inform the public of the plan and receive public comments. The NRC is actively reviewing the LTP and is scheduled to complete the review by Second Quarter of 2003. The owner expects to complete decommissioning so the license can be terminated in the third or fourth quarter of 2003 and the site restored by the first quarter of 2004.

2 files, last one added on Feb 13, 2004
Album viewed 502 times

Schpack Landfill


shlf2.gif

Shpack Landfill (FUSRAP Site) Norton, MA (5 acre site)

The Shpack Landfill is located about 65 kilometers (40 miles) southwest of Boston in the towns of Norton and Attleboro, Massachusetts. The landfill began operating in the 1960s as a landfill for both industrial and domestic wastes. The landfill was closed under court-order in the mid-1960s. In the late 1970s a concerned citizen who detected elevated radiation levels at the site contacted the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. It was confirmed that there was radioactivity present that was above acceptable limits and probably originated from activities performed by Texas Instruments (formerly known as M&C Nuclear, Inc.). The landfill contains wastes that are contaminated with high-enriched uranium, low-enriched uranium, natural uranium, depleted uranium, radium and various chemicals. Macroscopic amounts of high-enriched uranium and other radioactive materials were removed during a 1980�s survey by Oak Ridge personnel. The site was part of the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). The FUSRAP Program was transferred to the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in 1997 in accordance with the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act for FY 1998.

2 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 357 times

Seabrook


pict420.jpg

Seabrook Station is located on an 889-acre site near Portsmouth, New Hampshire. It has the largest reactor in New England and provides about 7 percent of the region's electricity.

21 files, last one added on Sep 20, 2005
Album viewed 1307 times

Seaway Industrial Park



Seaway Industrial Park, Tonawanda NY

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Seymour Speciality Wire



Seymour SpecialtyWire, CONNECTICUT

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Shippingport


doe_shippingport_1.jpg

Shippingport Atomic Power Station, PA

6 files, last one added on Apr 12, 2006
Album viewed 489 times

Shoreham


shoreham.jpg

6 files, last one added on Jun 08, 2010
Album viewed 612 times

Springdale



C. A..Schnorr, Springdale PA

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Susquehanna


Susquehanna_03.jpg

The Susquehanna nuclear plant is in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. It is on a site of 1,075 acres, with about 1,000 employees working on site and another 400 employees in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

16 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2009
Album viewed 1219 times

Three Mile Island (TMI)


TMI_12.jpg

The Three Mile Island station is located on 814 acres of an island near the state capitol at Harrisburg. Three Mile Island may be the most widely known nuclear power plant in the United States due to an accident to its number 2 reactor. The second reactor was permanently shut down following an accident on March 28, 1979. A combination of equipment malfunctions and human error led to a loss of coolant. It remains the most significant accident on record at a U.S. nuclear power plant.

34 files, last one added on Nov 23, 2009
Album viewed 1641 times

UNC Naval Products Montville Connecticut


pict497.jpg

UNC Naval Products Montville Connecticut

1 files, last one added on Sep 20, 2005
Album viewed 474 times

University of Lowell



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

University of Maryland



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Ventron



Ventron, Beverly MA

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Vermont Yankee


vermont_yankee.jpg

The plant is on a 125-acre site at Vernon, Vermont, in Windham County. In 2003, Vermont Yankee provided 4,444 million megawatt hours of electricity.

22 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 1098 times

W. R. Grace & Co.


wrgc2.gif

W. R. Grace and Company (FUSRAP Site) in Curtis Bay, Maryland

The W.R. Grace and Company is located on an industrialized peninsula in south Baltimore, Maryland. In the 1950’s the W.R. Grace and Company milled thorium for the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), a predecessor agency for the US Department of Energy. W.R. Grace began processing radioactive materials at the site in the 1950s, when Rare Earths, Inc. (W.R. Grace’s predecessor) entered into a contract with AEC to extract thorium and rare earths from naturally-occurring monazite sands. Rare Earths’ contract with AEC and its license to possess, transfer and use radioactive thorium were transferred to W.R. Grace and Company. Building 23, where the thorium processing took place, was open until the late 1950s when the contract was terminated. The wastes were buried in a landfill area. Thorium processing resulted in low-level waste that was buried on the property. Radiation surveys have shown that radioactive contamination still persists in the waste burial area, the waste management area which surrounds the waste burial plot, surfaces surrounding vats and hoppers in Building 23 and alpha-radiation surface contamination in the whole of Building 23. The site was designated by DOE for remedial action under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP) in 1984. This site was one of the 21 Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP) sites where cleanup responsibility was transferred to the US Army Corps of Engineers in 1997 in accordance with the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act for FY 1998. Cleanup responsibilities transferred at that time from DOE-EM to the USACE.

2 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 263 times

Wayne/Pequannock


wiss1.gif

Wayne Interim Storage Site (FUSRAP Site)

The Wayne Site is located about 3.2 kilometers (two miles) north of Wayne, New Jersey, in a highly developed area of Passaic County. The site is approximately 58 kilometers (36 miles) northwest of New York City. The W.R. Grace Company operated in the Wayne Township extracting rare earths from monazite ore and thorium between 1948 and 1971. Prior to 1960, radioactive thorium ores were placed in above ground piles. From 1960 to 1967, the thorium waste was buried in unlined pits. From 1967 to 1971, some of the waste was transported to Chattagnooga, TN. After production of materials was completed, partial decontamination of the site took place. The company covered the onsite disposal area and razed several buildings and burying the rubble. The remaining buildings were decontaminated and left intact. Vicinity properties that were contaminated via Sheffield Brook were also completely restored. EM completed this site as a part of the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). The FUSRAP Program was transferred to the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in 1997, in accordance with the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act.

2 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 233 times

West Valley


Fall Site.jpg

1961 While industrial interests explore the viability of commercial reprocessing, the state of New York moves to acquire land in the town of Ashford, near West Valley, for an atomic industrial area. The state Office of Atomic Development establishes the Western New York Nuclear Service Center (WNYNSC) on the 3,345 acres of land it has taken title to.

1962 Davison Chemical Company establishes Nuclear Fuels Services, Inc. (NFS) as a reprocessing company. It reaches an agreement with the state to lease the WNYNSC.

1966 Nuclear Fuels Services develops and operates 200 acres of the WNYNSC. It operates the site as a nuclear fuel reprocessing center from 1966 to 1972, and accepts radioactive waste for disposal until 1975. During the operation of the plant, 640 metric tons of spent reactor fuel are processed, resulting in 660,000 gallons of highly radioactive liquid waste. The liquid waste is stored in an underground waste tank. NFS also utilizes a 15-acre area for the disposal of radioactive waste from commercial waste generators, and another seven-acre landfill is used to dispose of radioactive waste generated from reprocessing.

1976 Following four years of pursuing modifications to the plant, NFS decides the costs and regulatory requirements of reprocessing make the venture impractical. The company decides to exercise its right to leave the site after its lease expires on December 31, 1980, transferring ownership and responsibility for the waste and facility to the state of New York. The state initiates talks with the Federal Energy Research and Development Administration to sort out ownership of the waste and environmental remediation responsibility.

1980 Congress passes the West Valley Demonstration Project Act, Public Law 96-368, directing the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to take the lead role in solidifying the liquid high-level waste and decontaminating and decommissioning the facilities at West Valley.

8 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 480 times

Worcester Polytechnic Institute



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 6 times

Yankee Rowe


Rowe_at_its_finest.jpg

The plant was permanently shut down on October 1, 1991. The DECON decommissioning plan was approved in February 1995 and the plant is undergoing dismantlement. The steam generators were shipped to the Barnwell, North Carolina low level waste facility in November 1993. The reactor vessel was shipped in April 1997 to Barnwell. The owner has removed all of the primary systems, secondary side components, and switch yard equipment from the site. The plant is about 80 percent dismantled. The containment and other major structures remain. The owner has completed construction of an onsite independent spent fuel storage installation (ISFSI). A license termination plan (LTP) was submitted in May 1997, and a public meeting was held to discuss the LTP in January 1998. A public hearing was requested on the LTP but was canceled after the owner withdrew the plan in May 1999 to consider the MARSSIM approach. The licensee intends to resubmit the LTP in 2003. The owner has completed transferring fuel from the spent fuel pool into transportable dry storage systems at an on-site interim storage facility.

66 files, last one added on Feb 17, 2010
Album viewed 1204 times

 

 

58 albums on 1 page(s)

Last viewed - Region I (North East)
core_15.JPG
Core at Ginna1649 viewsSep 23, 2019 at 10:38 AM
core_18.JPG
Core at Ginna1396 viewsSep 23, 2019 at 10:38 AM
core_20.JPG
Core at Ginna2787 viewsSep 23, 2019 at 10:37 AM
core_19.JPG
Core at Ginna1281 viewsSep 23, 2019 at 10:36 AM

Last additions - Region I (North East)
deer_in_front_of_sign.jpg
Feb 02, 2016
NBL_building_with_sign_and_deer.jpg
Feb 02, 2016
Obama_s_helicopter.jpg
Jan 06, 2016
P3100033.JPG
Jan 06, 2016



NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2019 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?