Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is Direct SRO position worth it?  

Author Topic: Is Direct SRO position worth it?  (Read 20699 times)

menichols74

Is Direct SRO position worth it?
« on: Apr 24, 2007, 02:00 »
I am about to get out of the Navy as an LT with about 7 yrs (EOOW, ENG qualified). I have a BS in Engineering and will have a Masters in Eng. Management when I get out. I've talked to TVA's nuclear recruiter and spoken with a head hunter as well. The TVA recruiter affirmed what the HH told me. I will have little problems getting a position in an SRO training program. I have a few questions wrt this.

- How is SRO training when compared to nuke school/prototype and on the boat quals?

- What can I expect in the interviewing process?

- Is SRO a good entry point to choose if I want to maximize my potential for growth in the company?

- What salary should I expect pre NRC license and after? TVA is 75K/105K and the HH said to expect ??K/135K

- I'm OK with rotational shiftwork, but what about the average weekly hours? Do you have to work OT or is it just out there for those that want it? I don't mind living there till I get my license, but I don't want to have to do 60hr weeks for years to come.

- What is the daily dress for SROs?

- For those with a MS/ME, assuming a great work ethic/record, how long should I expect to put in the rotational shift work before having the opportunity to advance out of it?

- What are some of the typical next steps for someone after SRO?

I appreciate any insight and wish all of y'all the best. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2007, 02:15 by menichols74 »

Offline MLew44

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Is Direct SRO position worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2007, 02:25 »
OF COURSE IT'S WORTH IT. You say you'll "have little problems getting position in an SRO training program." Maybe, but will you make it through the class and actually get your license? What kind of SRO will you be? Will you be somebody who is more worried about working 60 hour weeks, or about the people working for YOU? I'll let somebody else answer the questions.

menichols74

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2007, 02:45 »
OF COURSE IT'S WORTH IT. You say you'll "have little problems getting position in an SRO training program." Maybe, but will you make it through the class and actually get your license? What kind of SRO will you be? Will you be somebody who is more worried about working 60 hour weeks, or about the people working for YOU? I'll let somebody else answer the questions.

I didn't mean to offend you. I was just posting as it has been told to me and asking questions. I will gladly let any enlisted guy (or civilian employee that I've worked with) that's worked for me speak as to what type of supervisor I am. I truely do not want a job that doesn't allow me a life outside of work, that is why I am not pursuing a job in consulting. I don't mind paying my dues while I learn the plant and such. As far as will I get my license, well only time will tell. I'm just trying to get a better feel for this opportunity and if it is one that I should pursue.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2007, 02:51 »
I am about to get out of the Navy as an LT with about 7 yrs (EOOW, ENG qualified). I have a BS in Engineering and will have a Masters in Eng. Management when I get out. I've talked to TVA's nuclear recruiter and spoken with a head hunter as well. The TVA recruiter affirmed what the HH told me. I will have little problems getting a position in an SRO training program. I have a few questions wrt this.

- How is SRO training when compared to nuke school/prototype and on the boat quals?

- What can I expect in the interviewing process?

- Is SRO a good entry point to choose if I want to maximize my potential for growth in the company?

- What salary should I expect pre NRC license and after? TVA is 75K/105K and the HH said to expect ??K/135K

- I'm OK with rotational shiftwork, but what about the average weekly hours? Do you have to work OT or is it just out there for those that want it? I don't mind living there till I get my license, but I don't want to have to do 60hr weeks for years to come.

- What is the daily dress for SROs?

- For those with a MS/ME, assuming a great work ethic/record, how long should I expect to put in the rotational shift work before having the opportunity to advance out of it?

I appreciate any insight and wish all of y'all the best. Thanks!

First don't ever believe anything a recruiter says. Y&ou aren't in the big leagues yet and your recruiter isn't a nuke.

- How is SRO training when compared to nuke school/prototype and on the boat quals?   A order of magnitude harder actually more.

- What can I expect in the interviewing process? Lots of management type questions. If you answer like a Navy leader you won't be prepared.

- Is SRO a good entry point to choose if I want to maximize my potential for growth in the company?  Yes in todays day and age it is.

- What salary should I expect pre NRC license and after? TVA is 75K/105K and the HH said to expect ??K/135K Average is about 80 to 85K for a guy with your minimal experience. You won't hit 135 for quite some time and that isn't in salary. It includes bonuses. None of which you'll receive until after you get your license.

- I'm OK with rotational shiftwork, but what about the average weekly hours? Do you have to work OT or is it just out there for those that want it? I don't mind living there till I get my license, but I don't want to have to do 60hr weeks for years to come.  Might as well get used to 60 hour weeks now. They are the norm for a Supervisor/Manager. You'll work lots of OT and in most places you won't get paid for it as an SRO. At a 2 Unit Site be prepared to work 8 or 9 weeks out of every 18 months doing 78 Hour weeks for outages.

- What is the daily dress for SROs? Most places, a Polo Shirt with the company logo and slacks, like Dockers.

- For those with a MS/ME, assuming a great work ethic/record, how long should I expect to put in the rotational shift work before having the opportunity to advance out of it? Count on 10 to 15 years at least. You're low on the totem pole and SROs with your quals are a dime a dozen.

- What are some of the typical next steps for someone after SRO? Get qualified first.

Mike

visserjr

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:18 »
Best of luck in an Instant program. Our plant doesn't have much success with them obtaining a license. No liscense, no job. Best advice I can give, if you are hired as an instant, forget everthing you knew as a naval officer, and learn what they are paying you to learn. Remember, they are paying you to do it their/NRC/(I almost forgot) INPO way. And regardless how big a carrier may seem, it is SO SMALL compared to a comercial plant. The only common things are keep the core covered and cooled for the health and welfare of the public. Mike's right a recruiter is most likely an admin HR weenine(no offense, hell, I can't even type). They are selling a product to you. I turned down an instant oppurtunity. I chose the NLO route. Great way to go, and learn the plant inside out.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:45 »
I'm too sloshed on chilled Petron and pumped up from 4 hours in the gym right now to read the previous postings so I will just answer your question bluntly:

1. If you were offered a chance to skip PPO, RO and go straight to SRO class and did not take it.....why?

Just f-in do it and don't worry what any been there done that, ships were wood, men were steel, usta fish, up through the ranks, turned more valves then you have days on the earth (my favorite ;D), nuclear opinion generator has to say on the subject.

2. JUST DO IT.

3. I'll explain the cause for my jubilance at a later time but what I can speak to is the following:

IT....IS....YOUR....CAREER.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:49 »
I am about to get out of the Navy as an LT with about 7 yrs (EOOW, ENG qualified). I have a BS in Engineering and will have a Masters in Eng. Management when I get out. I've talked to TVA's nuclear recruiter and spoken with a head hunter as well. The TVA recruiter affirmed what the HH told me. I will have little problems getting a position in an SRO training program.

TVA has a program called a "Leadership Academy". SRO is one of the points in the program. It is designed to prepare you for jobs in various disciplines in the utility. The SRO is definitely a requirement for moving up, but only one of the areas. Discuss this with the TVA HR Rep (or ask how the position they offer compares to the Leadership Academy).

I have to agree with much of what Mike posted. Just remember that there are numbers with and without bonuses. And bonuses aren't there in the bad years (such as when you have to spend more time at the plant). The recruiter numbers are with every possible bonus at max if you are at the top of the band in salary. Won't say it isn't possible, but don't base your bills on it.

And thanks for your service.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Trinian23

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:50 »

I haven't actually been in the pipeline, but I have seen many people try and fail. It definitely is not an easy thing to do. The material is technically easy, but there is a LOT of it, and then at the end of it you get tested over EVERYTHING.

YES! I have yet to see any upper management types who haven't been SRO qualified, definitely a "wicket" to fill.

Around 80K is the norm. Once you get a license, the SRO's at my old plant were eligible to start receiving bonuses based on the AIP's (annual incentive program). Basically tied to stuff like overall dose of the plant, SSPI, Forced Outage Rate, Capacity Factor, etc...

I'm OK with rotational shiftwork, but what about the average weekly hours? Do you have to work OT or is it just out there for those that want it? I don't mind living there till I get my license, but I don't want to have to do 60hr weeks for years to come.

Expect it, the SRO's I saw were typically working between 60-70 hours week depending on what shift they were on (we were on 8 hour rotations)

Actually, this depends on route you want to go. If you want to move quickly into upper management, expect around 6-8 years. The SRO's that I saw who had been SRO's for twenty years, well it's like the 20 year first class, there is a reason. ANd sometimes they don't want to do anything else. If you are a hard charger, you will do fine. I have personally seen someone go from NLO (non-licensed operator) to SOS (shift operations supervisor, in charge of the Shift Managers) in about 5 years, without a degree. THis also depends on the company that you work for.

Again, this depends on what you want to do. I saw on SRO go into procedure writing, and stay there because he was tired of being on shift and didn't want to do Shift Manager. Typically, if you want to go high in a company, get SRO, get involved with various "side projects" (i.e. BWR owners group, INPO preps, etc), take the initiative to not only bring up problems, but how to fix them and then implement them. You would be surprised on how many good ideas just stay that, good ideas, when all it takes is a little elbow grease to save dose, money, etc. Go Shift Manager, then maybe do a tour at INPO, ot go into Outage management, training is a good one also. It varies from company to company.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:52 »
And another thing, my Sr. Moderator Powers arrived today. Apparently the monkey died in transport.

I was invited to be an SRO candidate. I said no. No, no again, politely no, politely no some more, changed subject, no again, jedi mind trick, jedi mind trick failed, no. For God's sake no. Then I used the free food diversion. Worked.

Why? I don't like boxes. No offence to all the awesome CRSes and SROs at my plant, but "Don't fence me in"

But if you were offered SRO, and you said no, you have to wonder what you rather do. There is nothing wrong with coming up through the ranks. We all did it in the Navy, so don't think you have to reinvest your time again.

Some people will snub you, just take it, keep your mouth shut, be humble, and prove yourself as an operator, be cordial to the operators, listen, learn, respect their sweat and eventually you'll just be another SRO. No biggy.

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2007, 11:17 »
Well said all.

By the way I did not say it was impossible to move out of Shift Work in a short amount of time but in most cases it's because a guy showed a special skill for something or screwed something up. Number 2 is definitely a career killer and when the organization has to cut people in it's time for Ops to offer up their sacrificial anode guess who will be the lucky volunteer.

In most cases Ops departments are SO short on people getting an SRO License is a guarantee of being on shift for at least 10 to 15 years.

Mike

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2007, 02:39 »
A couple of more things to consider are:

1) An SRO is a very good thing to have if you want to stay in the commercial industry - especially if you want to transfer out of Operations into Engineering, Outage Management, etc.  Many utilities like their upper managers to have had an SRO (or at least SRO training).  Even if the job has NOTHINGg to do with operations (NOT usually the case), an SRO is a very big item to bring to the table.  When the NRC was licensing our core design group, one of the things they really like was that we had some former SROs and STAs in the program.

2)  If you take the non-licensed operator approach instead of the direct approach, count on it taking years to get your SRO (depending on plant personnel turnover)

3)  There are more ways to get off-shift than just getting promoted to Operations management, such as lateral moves to  Engineering, Outage Management, Training, Project Management.

4)  Think about what you really want.  Your current qualifications also line up nicely with Engineering, which doesn't typically have as much OT as operations (it also means no SRO bonus).   

5)  Your background, plus some experience, could put you in a good position to work on the new plants which hopefully will start the process of getting built this year (combined operating license submittal).

dallmald

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2007, 12:08 »
 "I turned down an instant oppurtunity. I chose the NLO route. Great way to go, and learn the plant inside out."

What is NLO? How does it differ form "instant SRO"

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2007, 03:24 »
"I turned down an instant oppurtunity. I chose the NLO route. Great way to go, and learn the plant inside out."

What is NLO? How does it differ form "instant SRO"

NLO = Non Licensed Operator.  These are the guys that run the plant in the field.  NLO are the people that get very familiar with the plant equipment. 

NLO duties:

-We turn valves (valve lineups)
-rack breakers
-perform surveillance tests
-operator rounds
-system startup/ shut downs

JohnK87

« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2007, 12:17 »
Get the SRO.  No matter what job you are in or where you go to, "Prior SRO" carries weight and opens doors.

As for time on shift, it depends on the plant.  Some can't replace shift SRO's so those people are stuck there for 10-20 years.  Some run lots of SRO's through school and expect they'll only spend a few years on shift before dropping their license and moving elsewhere in the organization.

My site is closer to the former, except people WANT to stay on shift.

nuketarded

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 11:21 »
Though this is old,  it seems to be a common question.  I'm still getting calls from nuke buddies on the way out with the same question.  So for the next guy who asks, I'll lend my somewhat experienced perspective. 

In my opinion you have reached the big leagues once your making 50k a year even if your washing windows (I grew up kinda poor).  I wouldn't take Mike's bashing (the velvet fist) personally.  Your education and navy experience have a great deal of value when you get out.  There are a significant number of jobs offering nearly 100k to people with such a background but, they don't come looking for you. His perspective is strictly from the commercial nuke perspective.  And since he and other like-minded nukes are likely to be the people looking at your resume when you apply at SQN, understanding that perspective is important.

Getting off shift is going to be a challenge for the forseeable future.  Low staffing and miserable pass-rates for license candidates are creating a fairly deep hole.  At this point the desires of the leadership team are often secondary to staffing issues.  You may have to be prepared to go to another utility if this is high on your list.

Hours are typically long, relative to a bank teller, but the control room rarely sets sail.  On occasion you may have to go look at your kids while they're sleeping.  Having this option is 1000 times better than not.  There are few jobs in this salary range that are 40 hours a week in any field, nukes are not alone.

If your desires are outside of operating, the SRO is still the best way to document your ability and knowledge.  It's like a degree that demonstrates industry-specific ability and knowledge.  There are ways to succeed without it but, for a navy nuke this is the most straightforward.

Don't take success for granted.  The navy was different in that the people training you taught a curriculum that was reflected in your exam.  The NRC paints with a broad brush and the people teaching are not the people outlining or producing the test (by law). The difficulty is hard to describe.  Imagine a support system whose basic function is easy to understand and which receives nearly no attention in a two-year program.  Then the most important test of your career has 3 or 4 extremely detailed questions on this system.  Some people can draw on their experience from years ago as an NLO.  Instants can't, therefore answering is difficult.  Repeat this scenario twice and you are now borderline.  You can be well versed on the "important" stuff and be in really bad shape in short-order.  That's the best I can do.

As far as career, being a good SRO (US) will keep you out of the news.  In the absence of luck, career success outside of OPS requires a multi-pronged approach.  Meeting the right people and displaying leadership outside of the role required by your postion seem to rise to the top.  At this point, finding your replacement may be more important than performance.  Your OPs manager may look at you for other OPs positions but it is typically not in his interest to help you leave OPs.  That's all you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?