Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How to prepare for Navy NPS
honeypot

Author Topic: How to prepare for Navy NPS  (Read 121127 times)

Adidas2806

How to prepare for Navy NPS
« on: Mar 08, 2004, 01:48 »
I have been spending alot of time on this website reading all the info everyone has to share, but this is my first post.
     I just enlisted in the navy nuclear power program 2 weeks ago. I honestly had no idea and never planned going into this field, but I got a 99 on the ASVAB and this is what they threw at me. I suppose I want to challenge myself, but this is still very scary for me. I know that this is going to be an extremely hard and vigourous program, but is there anything I can do while I am in the Delayed Entry Program to help prepare me for this? I figure the more I know before I go into this the better. I am taking high school Physics right now as well as Calculus, but how much of High School Physics will I really be using?
     I suppose I dont want to fall into this and not know what to do, and any info you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sean

20 Years Gone

Re: How to prepare for Navy NPS
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2004, 02:27 »
    Well, where you go from here depends a bit on where you are... taking physics and calculus is good, but the vast, VAST majority of math you'll use is trig and below.  And, it's really not so much the math, but how you do the math.  For example, I have a friend who just came to teach math at Nuclear Field A school, and although he got all the correct answers on his first math practice exam, he still failed the exam.  How, I hear you ask?  Isn't math about getting the right answers?  Well, no, not while taking NPS math.... Math is about following directions, procedures, and doing it OUR way. 
   That's what bootcamp is also about... I'll bet you thought you knew how to fold your underwear, huh?  You probably even thought you knew how to make your bed... Again, it's attention to detail, and doing it the NAVY way.  So, knowing lots of math and physics will help you, but only to a point.
   Now, if I was just getting started...
   Do you know what rate you're going to be? You have a choice of three... Machinist Mate, Electricians mate, and Electronics Technician.  I'm an ET, and it's been my deal for 20 years, but at NPS, it won't make much difference what rate you are, as the core curriculum is pretty much the same.  There are a couple books you can get online... Ebay, etc..
   1st is the Blue Jackets manual.  This will be your boot camp bible, and the more you learn about it ahead of time, the better prepared you'll be, and you'll get more from the bootcamp lectures. 
   2nd... Get a basic heat transfer and fluid flow book, wither on line or at a library, just so you can learn some terms, etc...
   Also, Nuclear Physics by Enrico Fermi... a good text.  Keep in mind that the entire curriculum at NPS is classified, so you won't be able to bring notes home to your barracks to study...
   There are auctions on Ebay which proclaim to have the entire NPS curriculum, including reactor principles, heat Transfer & fluid Flow, chemistry, materials, etc etc, in an unclassified form.  I've never seen the actual text of these CD books, but if you want, you can get one...
   Hope this helps...  It's a hard school, and requires MUCH hard work, but I think it's worth it... You wont find too many guys who paid the price to graduate from the school saying it wasn't worth it.

Best of luck

Austria

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2004, 02:37 »
Sean:
First of all, good luck and congratulations! As an ex-Navy Nuke, I may be biased, but you've chosen a terrific program that will open up many opportunities for you.

I never thought I would end up in the Navy Nuke program either when I enlisted years ago...but hey, anything can happen.

What ever math and physics you are studying will help. You'll use everything you've learned and then some. And what you don't know, they'll teach you. Just be prepared to work, work, and work some more.

Starting with boot camp, pay ATTENTION TO DETAIL. Most of what they do, and tell you to do is for a reason even though it will probably seem like brainwashing BS at the time. But honest, everything you do right down to folding your clothes teaches you something you'll need later on.

Once you get to Nuke School be prepared to give much of your free time up to studying. It is a tough program that demands the best from everyone and the better you are the more they expect.

Do save some free time to relax and clear your head. Keep your own perspective and when you need help, ask for it. And when your buddies need help, help them out.

And always, always think ahead. Whether you stay in or get out after six, you will find opportunities you don't even know exist yet.

Best of luck to you,

Steve McDermott
Class 8103
NPTU S8G
USS Enterprise (CVN 65) '82 - '86

moke

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2004, 04:38 »
Mahalo to Austria and 20 years for providing some awesome advice.

When I left Hawaii as a 20 year old rental technician all I was told by Charlie Cachugian was: Do you know how to operate a frisker? Yes. Do you know who to write up a survey? Yes. Well, get your butt out there and kick some ass!

Really encouraging????

Thank you guys. It is this kind of input that we need because, in many cases, its not about us but rather our Youth!

To Adidas2806,

You got some fine advice and hope that you conitnue to probe and unlock those mysteries within the mind.

Your test score tell me that you are a great thinker. Many, yet not all of my Navy Nuke friends are talented and the one thing that they all have in common is their ability to solve problems!

I my field, we are expected to solve problems and much of what the Navy expects from you. Many attend college yet they gotta be told what to do! Our Navy needs those who can solve problems and implement what you learned in the classroom.

Admiral Rickover knew that he could not pass nuke school on his own and got other classmates to do his homework. He did what he had to do to get by! A strong mind is a great thing yet one must be self motivated to make use of it.

I hope that you do the best job you can do and maintain focus. Our country needs your service and especially in our Nuclear Programs that remain as the best in the world! Run silent-Run Deep!

Goodluck!

Moke 8)

moodusjack

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2004, 06:39 »
Moke, some comments about your statement "Admiral Rickover knew that he could not pass nuke school on his own and got other classmates to do his homework. "

According to one biography, Hymie's main holdback was English.  His main struggle was at the Naval academy.  He was a brilliant engineer and was described as a "humorless grind" upon graduation from the academy.  Rickover sponsered and held virtual control over the naval nuke program, including training.  There is no record of him attending.  He was a fanatic about a systematic approach to training that taught people how to thing.

Enough about Hymie...twas a formality.  Your helpful suggestions and support to help this kid prepare for the program make the real point and do you justice. 

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2004, 02:37 »
Adidas,
Congratulations on making an excellent career choice. I graduated from high school, and reported to Boot Camp 3 weeks later. I thank God that I learned enough to make a living after getting out!

Your "A" school, where you learn your rating (ET, MM, or EM) shouldn't be overlooked. The info of "A" school is the heart of advancement examinations, which determines how soon you get a pay raise. It sounds like you have the needed academic classes, and continue to do well in those (chemistry would be nice also.) "A" school is more challenging for those who went through the program after me, and they expect you to excel (not just pass!)

My additional recommendation for study before going active duty is Principles of Naval Engineering. Tell your Recruiter, and he will be in awe of your desire to prepare. A Recruiter will be happy to pick up titles such as this, as would your local Naval Reserve unit.

Naval Engineering will discuss considerations regarding steam propulsion and vital auxiliaries, which will be very valuable as EM or MM (ET isn't a true engineering rating, so they get advancement based on knowledge of radar, navigation, and other trivial pursuit categories - all bets are off for an ET career.)

One more thing, thanks for making the decision to serve our country. Please get as much education and training as possible while you are in so you can decide at the end of your enlistment if you should stay in or go to the civilian workforce. You have my respect either way.

Finally, don't try to keep a girlfriend back home. If you decide to date the same girl again after you are assigned to your ship / sub, that's a great idea. I don't know how a long distance relationship would work for you at boot camp, "A" school, NPS, and NPTU (prototype) but I expect it would be additional stress you could do without. Let's just say my experience was not a good one, and I would like you to do better.

MM1(SS)
NPS 8502
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

20 Years Gone

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:43 »

Your "A" school, where you learn your rating (ET, MM, or EM) shouldn't be overlooked. The info of "A" school is the heart of advancement examinations, which determines how soon you get a pay raise. It sounds like you have the needed academic classes, and continue to do well in those (chemistry would be nice also.) "A" school is more challenging for those who went through the program after me, and they expect you to excel (not just pass!)

Roll Tide,
   For about the last 3 or 4 years, the old rating exams which are the same as the conventionals took are gone.  The exams for advancement are now nuclear based.  However, you're right that a major education is to be had at NFAS!!  Unfortunately, there are many ETs/EMs who dump all knowledge gained there, and have zero troubleshooting ability when they get to the fleet.     
   Adidas, when they give you the opportunity to retain your notes (they'll send them to your follow-on command) jump on it, as they'[ll be very valuble later on.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2004, 06:22 »
Roll Tide,
   For about the last 3 or 4 years, the old rating exams which are the same as the conventionals took are gone.  The exams for advancement are now nuclear based. 

If you've been gone 20 years, how do you know all of this?  ::)
I got out in 1995, and my info is a little more current than many of our posters, but I welcome your input from today. They separated the advancement slots eons ago, but the whole time I was in it was still the same rating exams. The best EWS qualified ET2 I ever knew had to be command advanced to ET1! Glad they finally fixed that.

Adidas, in response to the original post, let me assure you the principles of physics will be at the heart of your training. Do some surfing on the net (probably how you found us) and check out some descriptions of commercial nuclear plants for info on how nuclear power works. Tom Clancy wrote "Red October", which has excellent descriptions of nuclear plant response to change in demanded speed.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Adidas2806

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:01 »
wow. Thanks to all of you for your advice and input. it is greatly appreciated.
     I have been doing as much research about all of this that i can, and im afraid that it is only scaring me even more!lol, i knwo that ill be able to handle it, i know that, but man it is still intimidating.just a few other concerns that i have if you all dont mind helping me out some more!!!!!
     I took chemistry my sophmore year of highschool, and the first semester i got a C average, but it was mostly because of my teacher, who did not try to help out any of the students and i didnt understand it. mysecond semester i got a diffrent teacher that was awesome and helped me undertsand so much. got an A in her class.
     my recuiter has told me that the teachers at nuke school will do everything to help us understand the physics and everything behind this, but do they really? i just hope that they dont get annoyed or anything when we ask for extra help.
     also, which one is typically the best rate to go for? does one of them primarily get the scud work that no one wants?
and Roll Tide:: i have never read "Red October" but i will probably be checking it out tomrrow! i think im about to have an annurism from looking all this stuff up and if i can relax while learning it im all for it!
Sean

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:05 »
If you've been gone 20 years, how do you know all of this?  ::)
I

I'm taking a shot in the dark but from his previous posts I believe 20 years gone refers to the last 20 years he's spent in the Navy as he's getting out soon. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Flooznie

« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:11 »
Grats on making a good decision.  I, just like 20 years gone, am an ET, and I qualified RO and SRO on the USS Santa Fe.  Looking back, would I have done it all over again?  Hell yes. 

Few tips, if any to get ready.  Having a good physics and math base is fine and dandy, but as posted earlier there is NAVY math, and NAVY physics, and NAVY reactor principles.  While the Navy's way may be similiar to other ways you have heard in the past, you will fail every single test you take unless you do it THEIR way every time.  Your final answer on the exams is only 1 pt of the final score.  Every single exam you will take throughout the Nuclear Pipeline is going to be essay.  True or False, fill in the blank, multiple guess (choice) DO NOT EXIST in the nuclear Navy.  So get good at memorizing, because you have to have "key words and tricky phrases" on paper.  and you will hear this over and over and over and over.  When you take tests in this school, don't take them front to back.  Answer the questions you know the answers to first, and for the problems, fill in the equations/tables theorms/etc that you know you will have to use in each problem then get back to them later.  The reason for this is, if you run out of time (which is very likely), you will still get most of the credit for each of the test questions.  In NFAS, showing the math equation is 4 out of the 5 points needed to pass the question on the exam.   Knowing this will save your ass.    Some other tips.  When you go through the school, there are objectives that are given in the material that you need to know by the end of the lesson.  There is a big ass book on all these topical learning objectives.  Write the Letter off the side of the objectives while you are notetaking, and highlight the material.  ONLY this is what you can be tested on.  Know what to filter out and what to focus on.  Also, NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER cookbook your homework.  You will have lots of homework to do every night.  Don't just look up the answer in your notes, and write it down.  Take your homework like a quiz and write down as much as you retained before you have to refer to your notes.  As an ET, I always believed there is a RAM chip in your hand, and when you write stuff down, you remember it.  This is saying something, since you will write like you have never written before.  Also, remember, that the challenge doesn't stop once you complete training.  You will still have to study your but off on the boat to qualify your watchstations, and it looks bad on your part doing your Dept Head interview with no knowledge.  Study just as hard on the boat as you do in school, and you will never go wrong.  You need to be HEAVY on the plant.  There is nothing worse than someone whos been on board 2 years and doesn't know jack or isn't qualified.   Give 200% at all times, be your best, for yourself firstmost. 

ET1 (SS)
NPS class 9802

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2004, 09:12 »
     I took chemistry my sophmore year of highschool, and the first semester i got a C average, but it was mostly because of my teacher, who did not try to help out any of the students and i didnt understand it. mysecond semester i got a diffrent teacher that was awesome and helped me undertsand so much. got an A in her class.
     my recuiter has told me that the teachers at nuke school will do everything to help us understand the physics and everything behind this, but do they really? i just hope that they dont get annoyed or anything when we ask for extra help.
     also, which one is typically the best rate to go for? does one of them primarily get the scud work that no one wants?
Sean   

4 years after NPS, I ran into my old MTMO (mechanical theory for mechanical operators or MM's) instructor on the pier as we were going to our respective submarines. We talked about the class, and I appreciated his insight. I never spent a day in his class that felt wasted, it was like every day was an essential learning assignment.

How is this different from school? How many of your teachers will you be working with side-by-side in the future? The enlisted NPS instructors have a vested interest in your ability to perform well. The officers are like your high school teachers: some are excellent, others pull a paycheck.

An additional resource is your section advisor. He will be able to help you out in any area during the additional hours you study after classes. During normal study hours, there are advisors available. Since everyone studies in the building (not in the barracks), it is easy to get good study groups going.

Best rate? We could start another thread just for that topic. I was a MM, which I personally believe is the best choice. Not only does it prepare you for a commercial nuclear power career well, it also lets you compete for a supplementary specialty, with the training immediately after NPTU: nuke welder or Engineering Laboratory Technician (ELT). Many on this site are Radiological Controls Technicians (RCT), and got their start after ELT in the Navy.

I can tell you other good things about the other ratings, but I would choose nuke welder as a MM to have the most career opportunities when I got out.

20 Years Gone

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:58 »
   Yes indeed, 20 years gone refers to the fact that the last 20 years have slipped away, and it seems like yesterday that I was reporting into Great Lakes, scared and excited, wondering what would happen next.  But, I have learned that time and mass are related, because not only have the last 20 years seemed to coalesced into 60 lbs on me, but whenever I try to exercise to lose it, time seems to slow down. Hmmmmm.
   I'm currently at NPS, and let me tell you, the focus has changed somewhat over the last 20 years.  Let me tell you, adidas... When I first came in, we went to ET 'A', EM 'A', or MM 'A' school, and we were in class with non-nukes.  The questions on exams were all multiple choice, and school was a breeze.  However, if you didn't graduate in the top two thirds of your class, you didn't go on to NPS, but instead, they just made you a conventional (non-nuclear) ET, EM, or MM.  Sometimes, you would have over two thirds of the class loaded with nukes, and so SOMEONE would be bound to lose their future.  NPS was known to be a huge filter, and attrition from beginning to end of the nuclear training pipeline was around 50%, and this was a source of pride for those who made it through.  They started teaching NFAS (Nuclear Field A School) instead of sending us to be mixed with conventionals for A school, and all that multiple choice stuff was gone gone gone.  Everything is essay.  Then, one day in 1997, about a year before NPS graduated its last class from Orlando (we're in Charleston, now) the new headman in Naval Reactors, Admiral 'Skip' Bowman, came to call on us, and we had a meeting out in the quad in the afternoon, with all staff attending.  It was known as the meeting on the grassy knoll.  Skip laid down the law... Nuclear Power as he saw it was heading into a death spiral... The Navy couldn't recruit enough sailors for the program, and we were dropping large amounts in the training pipeline, so the ships at sea were undermanned.  This cause life at sea to be worse then it had to be, causing first and second term sailors to get out, and get the lucrative jobs available in civilian industry.  Therefore, we had to do a better job in graduation of the sailors that the recruiters provided to us.  So, we had lots of boards and committees to try and figure out what was to be done... And let me tell you, it's hard to pass this school, but it's also hard to fail, as well.  The instructers always tried hard, but now, you have to justify to everyone up the chain of command why a student is failing... Failing two subjects?  Well, that's ok, retain the student and let him/her recover.  Failed the comprehensive exam?  Take another in a week.  Fail that one?  Well, have an academic board, and if you can pass that, on you go to prototype.  So, adidas, the moral to all this is... Be prepared, get the most you can out of your education, but be confident!! You are working with a safety net... We all realize you are the future of our program, and we'll do our utmost to ensure you get the knowledge and whatever help you need to succeed.
   Now so far as being a nuclear welder... One of my last sea spots was AQAO onboard Enterprise.  Unfortunately, for Adidas, and the nuclear navy, we don't send nukes to be welders anymore.  We had one nuclear certified welder onboard (he belonged to R-div) and no more coming.  If you need a job done at that level, then civilians will do it.  It bothers me... The trend I see is ETs not being able to troubleshoot to the component level, and mechanics continually sending out valve maintenance/repairs and any nuclear work to the shipyard to perform.
   It depends on what you like, Adidas... Do you like circuitry (ET)?  Do you like getting under the hood of a car? (MM)  Do you like just getting paid? (EM) Just kidding!!!   Theres an old saying that ETs get paid for what they know, MMs get paid for what they do, and EMs just get paid!! :)  But what matters in follow on industry, it seems to me, is getting qualified at least PPWS, get you college done if possible, and learn to lead people in difficult situations.
   OK, enough rambling.. Be confident.  You sound like your miles ahead of the completion already.  You wouldn't believe how many people come into the program and dont do any research at all.  Kudos to you!!

JEBako

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2004, 09:49 »
Adidas,

From your high school curriculum, I'm going to guess that you are in New York State.

Don't worry so much. I remember taking similar classes in high school. I did badly in chemistry and hated it. Believe it or not, I became an ELT. NPS taught many subjects that you would see in the first two years of college engineering. The difference is that you learn using simpler mathematics (no Calculus) and plenty of practical examples (which is why the course and your homework, notes are all classified... the examples are very practical). As stated before, your enlisted instructors are excellent and highly motivated, some of the officers are worthless (my radchem instructor was)

Some of the other posts give excellent input on your available ratings choices.  I think the best was given by 20 years gone. It is your future, you have to like what you do or you will have a hard time going to work every day and spend your time trying to get out of the business.

As far as "scut" work goes, everyone on board works a long and hard day. Nuclear powered naval vessels are usually at sea longer and more often than their conventionally powered cousins. The better you are at doing the job, the faster you get it done and the less likely to have to repeat it prematurely.

The nuclear field is one of the few that allow you to earn a living without a degree, but get one anyway.

MM1(SS)
Class 7703
USS Hunley
USS Silversides

et3soandso

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2004, 10:03 »
I figured I had to post a reply.  After all, I'm a nuke currently enrolled in the pipeline.  I'm at the Charleston Prototype site.
For the new recruit, I can't think of any real preparation.  In "A" school, they use a "play" version of classification, called NOFORN.  It's not a big deal.
Most people arrive at NNPTC with a clearance pending, but get their approval mid-school.  Your main concern should be clearing up any issues that could slow down your security clearance..  Some people are stuck between "A" school and NPS for months at a time.  I know a handful of guys that had to wait longer than a year.
YOU DO NOT WANT TO WASTE TIME AT NNPTC.  While there, you have to live in some decent barracks, but put up with some very big restrictions.  No civilians on base.  No girls in your rooms. 
So clear up ANY possible issues.  Credit, speeding tickets, you name it.  Dual Citizenship?  Give it up!
The biggest thing I can tell you about NNPTC is that you learn to cram, big time.
If you like getting your hands dirty, go MM.  If you like a more academic job with less work and more AC... go ET.  I did. 
Don't go EM.  I don't know why any one does.  Heh!  Seems all I hear about is them cleaning up DC Machinery.
NPS will be a challenge, but if you're dedicated, you'll pull through.  It's all worth it when you get to Prototype.  The biggest problem I had with NNPTC was the lack of "Hands On" instruction. 
When I went down the ladderwell of my Moored Training Ship, I was amazed.  It's all uphill from here, but I'm looking forward to it.  Congrats on going nuke!  You made a great choice.  Good luck and I'll see you in Charleston.

RAMinator

« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2004, 04:24 »
I've found that NPS and the pipeline are designed to scare you. They're not scary at all. One little tip that helped me from going insane is that I just stopped caring after A school.. the caring was making me go nuts. The less you actually "care" about it, the better you generally will do. Don't get worked up, and don't over-work yourself. Take it easy and enjoy charleston, but remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

MM2
ELT
NPS 0202

Adidas2806

« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:18 »
Thank you all again for your help! this was my first time posting here, and i am truly grateful for all your insight and understanding!From what i have gathered, i think i am going to go ET. It sounds like the more challenging of the three, so i figure that if i am going to push myself through this challenging of a program, i might as well take the hardest course! itll help keep me on my toes anyway.
     You have to study at the school? that is gonna suck not being able to stuidy in my dorm room(which by the way i have heard are better than other accomodations at other A schools ;D- did i hear that correcctly?) i mean, i knew the stuff that i study will be important, but i didnt think it was that top-secret. i mean, am i going to be studying info that the average civilian nuke worker doesnt know?
     Also, i have yet to decide whether or not i want to go sub or aircraft carrier. as of right now it is definetly carrier, ive heard too many horror stories of being on subs. has anyone here worked on a sub? the only way that i will do it is if i become an officer, for i know that they have better living conditions.
     that also brings up another subject, is it hard to get into OTS through the nuke program? will i have to take extra classes and get my degree first before i become an officer or do they readily take nuke students to OTS w/o completring their degree?
     Thanks again for all your help and info.
Sean

JCwhitney

« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:21 »
I'm a former Navy Nuc- class 9101.  Regardless of your ASVAB score, be prepared to study hard and you won't have ANY problems at all.  By the way, I don't think you get to chose your rating (ET, EM, MM).  Most people get their first choice but many do not.

RAMinator

« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:29 »
Sub or Carrier usually depends on whether you like a big city or a small town. On a Sub, you know everybody, and it's a pretty close knit group, on a carrier, there's just so many people that you usually will venture outside of your set group. Big city or small town, up to you.

Oh yeah, and all studying must be done in the school, although after hours, you can study in Civvies and not just the normal utilities. But, that also changes when you hit prototype.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:33 »
From what i have gathered, i think i am going to go ET. It sounds like the more challenging of the three, so i figure that if i am going to push myself through this challenging of a program, i might as well take the hardest course! itll help keep me on my toes anyway.
.....     i mean, i knew the stuff that i study will be important, but i didnt think it was that top-secret. i mean, am i going to be studying info that the average civilian nuke worker doesnt know?
     Also, i have yet to decide whether or not i want to go sub or aircraft carrier. as of right now it is definetly carrier, ive heard too many horror stories of being on subs. has anyone here worked on a sub? the only way that i will do it is if i become an officer, for i know that they have better living conditions.
     that also brings up another subject, is it hard to get into OTS through the nuke program? will i have to take extra classes and get my degree first before i become an officer or do they readily take nuke students to OTS w/o completring their degree?
     Thanks again for all your help and info.
Sean

ET!!! I am appalled and will never post a reply to you again!

Actually, I enjoy having a willing audience, so I guess I must forgive and move forward. Let me just say there are no "easy" paths available. You have to have an expert level of knowledge of your job and a good understanding of every other rates' jobs at the completion of training!

Later on, you will get the opportunity to qualify senior enlisted watch: EWS on sub and PPWS (I think) on carrier. You won't be qualified to perform maintenance on other ratings equipment, but you will be able to operate it and understand the theory at an in-rate level of knowledge. An EWS qualified EM should be able to start up the Engine Room or draw a primary coolant sample or start up the Reactor!

Not "top-secret", but definitely "Confidential" material for NPS and NPTU. It is a good way to prevent the habit of bringing work home with you, and to keep you focused when it is study time.

Subs are my preference, because I liked the atmosphere of the small town. Under 150 on every sub I was on, and if you are on a boomer (Trident / Ohio today), you can make plans years in advance based on the 102 days on and 98 days off schedule (two crews on one sub with turnover in between!)

Never assigned to a carrier, but worked on carriers and cruisers while I was on a destroyer tender. I believe all the nuke cruisers are gone, even though they were great for sustained ops (like blockades of Iraq or other hostiles!) My opinion is there are tight, enclosed places on any navy ship just like on a sub, so claustrophobia should disqualify from the navy, not just subs. Well, maybe the subs expected people to go places that would have been deemed inaccessible on cruisers  and carriers!

OTS (It was OCS, or Officer Candidate School, when I was in, but I won't swear to anything about today's terms) or some type of commissioning is possible. There are many opportunities, including ECP (Enlisted Commissioning Program) which allows young sailors with significant college time to go finish there degree while drawing active duty salary and then be commissioned! Your Command Career Counselor will have much more info, and I know there are some other great programs for guys willing to spend some time in the navy after schooling.

Make sure you are ready to commit to the time required before you sign up for any additional time. A "STAR" re-enlistment seems too good to pass up, but many have passed it up and done better in the civilian world. Some passed it up and just lost the benefits and stayed in the navy over 8 years anyway. Be honest first with yourself and then with others, or you may be one of those idiots I worked with who couldn't explain why they went "STAR" to the "Retention Prevention Team"! :o

Adidas2806

« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2004, 09:52 »
ET!!! I am appalled and will never post a reply to you again!

lol, is there a competition between all you guys? MM's dont associate with ET's or something?

Actually the only reason why i chose that one for now is someone told me that 50% are MM's, 30% are EM's, and the last 20% are ET's. is that an accurate depiction?
just trying to go for the most challenging of the three :)

Also another thing i was wondering, are there extra classes i can choose to take(that is, ones that the navy doesnt already have us take) that will help me get a civilian job somewhere if i choose to go that route? i.e. extra english classes or history at a local college to get a degree, or licensed and/or certified in a particular area?

they do pay for laser eye surgery now too, dont they?

thanks again everyone!
Sean

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2004, 10:08 »
Competitive? US? :-[
You get the best brains in the nuclear navy together, and you get as much competition as the movie TOP GUN had between fighter jockeys. I considered all the ratings, and talked it over with my Dad (ENCM USNR-retired) before making my choice. Of course, Dad thought my first choice should be ET, followed by IC (not a valid selection, but my info was old), BT (ditto), EM, or MM.

I decided I HAD to get through Nuke school before I could support a wife, and my girlfriend was determined to get married as soon as possible. I decided to go MM because the class was the shortest. (My ex-wife probably thinks that was quite funny!)

Though my decision was made for a REALLY dumb reason, it worked out well. Many civillian positions which would interest me are better suited to MM, though I was never a "motor-head" in school.

I hope you are right about LASIK, because the Navy prohibited me from getting it done in 1989 at my own expense! Some concern based on a pilot's study, which the idiots decided applied to subs!

Navy Campus has counselors who keep up to date on all the afloat programs as well as other degree / credit programs. They are a great asset, use them wisely!

Slowpoke

« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2004, 12:08 »
As a current instructor at the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command I commend you on your decision to go into the Naval Nuclear Power Program.  By the time you get here I will be gone, however, since I retire in 58 days.  The program has changed significantly from the 80's and 90's.    We are now using computer assisted instruction, which allows for significantly better instruction.  We have computer projection using Power Point lessons and animated graphics, which aids students in understanding the complex principles we are teaching.  There are Learning Resource Centers which allow students to review topics on PCs and a dedicated staff whose entire purpose is to assist students.  Over the past 50 years the program has devoloped into a phenominal learning institute.  There are detailed discussions and training regarding Principles Of Learning, Academic Advisors for Excellence and tons of additional staff assistance.  Our current attrition rates are way below the 35-40% that occured when I went through the program.  Even now though,  with attrition of 6-8%, the single most important factor in determining your success is your personal drive and the amount of effort you are willing to put in.  I have had students who put in as few as 10 extra hours a week studying and as many as 35.  The hours you may need to put in are not important.  Successfully completing the course is, at whatever level you decide to play.  I've known people who stayed for 30, got out at 6, re-enlisted one or two times.  No matter what they did after they left the canoe club they have all seemed to excell at whatever they chose to do.  I know an anethesiologist, 4 pilots, chiropractors, radcon techs, power plant operators (conventional and nuclear) and many, many, many ex-Nucs who have all had huge success once they leave the Navy.  The common thread for all of them is that they did whatever it took to pass the program.  Good luck on your career, be it short or long.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2004, 07:55 »
   Well written Slowpoke, were you a recruiter at one time? The diversity of occupations for ex-Navy nukes is very true. Occupations for some of my former shipmates are Chimney Sweep, Hog Farmer, and Gospel singer. I have met many former shipmates as I traveled in Ops, RadCon , Maintenance, and One of my old Skippers is a VP Nuclear. I myself have worked as a Rad Tech, Outage Management Project Engineer, Instructor, Safety Analyst, Nuclear Criticality Specialist, Waste Coordinator, and Procedure writer. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up (Nuke class 71-2).
   Adidas it won't be easy, but as for your future "You gotta have shades".

moke

« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2004, 10:36 »
To All,

Great input! Keep it going!

Have an Awesome Week!

Moke

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?