Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How to land an AO/NLO position honeypot

Author Topic: How to land an AO/NLO position  (Read 7745 times)

heavymetal atom

How to land an AO/NLO position
« on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:19 »
Hey guys,

First off I've been reading this forum for a while now and it's been very helpful.  So thanks to all who have contributed to the vast amount of info on this site.  I'm a recent college grad (finished B.S. Dec. 2008) and I've been applying for every AO/NLO position I can find online for a while now.  I have a fairly extensive Math/Physics/Chem coursework background in both College and Highschool.  However, so far I haven't had much success in terms of landing interviews or POSS testing.  I guess maybe being non-ex navy nuke hurts me some, but I'm not sure how badly.  I really want to get to the point where I can take the POSS somewhere because I'm confident that I'd do well on it.  I realize the downfalls of online apps and also the slow processing time, but it really seems to be the way things work right now.  So maybe I just need to keep applying and be really patient?  At the same time it's hard to know if my online apps are even being looked at.  Do I need to try to talk directly to people in Ops or HR at the various companies just to try to get my resume considered?  Any tips for how to get to people on the inside?  It's frustrating because some of the positions have minimum reqs and I feel overqualified, yet I don't hear back.  Anyone with any recent (or past) experience relevant to this would be greatly appreciated.  I'd also appreciate any info you have regarding upcoming AO/NLO positions with your company, and who's generally getting them.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: How to land an AO/NLO position
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2009, 02:18 »
Back in September I put in several on-line applications it through the various company websites. I did not hear back from some and the ones that did respond took between 3 weeks to 3 months. And of those that I interviewed for most are still pending.

So from my limited experience I would say that the hiring process in the industry is slow and methodical.

heavymetal atom

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:02 »
Not exactly and that depends are responses I have for that commit. 

Some plants shy away from ex-navy folks.  Some plants like ex-navy folks.  Some plants are indifferent to ex-navy folks.

Keep applying and start studying for the EEI POSS.  We have lots of good advice on the POSS here around the site.  Search POSS in the upper right corner of the site "Home | Search | Help | Advertising | Contact Us | Add to Favorites".  You should find lots of info to research for your future success.

Jason

Thanks very much for the advice.  I've been studying for the POSS a bit already, hopefully I'll get a chance to take it soon.

BoilerHP

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:13 »
First off, as you have found out first hand it is a very long and grueling process to get in the nuke field. If you don't mind me asking, what is your degree in and where from? Did you attend any job fairs? I would also look at some companies you are interested in and try and go to a job fair they may be visiting at a college near by. From what I can gather I believe there are a bunch of classes starting here in Feb/March... It will probably be very difficult to get a job immediately for some of those sites unless they get to you ASAP. Any forum members on here know of any March/April/May classes that he may try and get into? You never know, there might be someone on this forum who may be willing to help you out further if you disclose more information.  best of luck!

BoilerHP

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2009, 04:35 »
I know Exelon recruiters, we should talk privately.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2009, 05:04 »
If things haven't turned around, you might want to consider going to the ANS student conference (http://ans.nre.ufl.edu/conference/ ).  There are typically a lot of companies there doing entry level recruiting.

Offline nadinno

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2009, 05:56 »
I know that Xcel Energy has/had open testing out of Denver, CO.  I took the POSS with them this summer.  They will give the test maybe 4??? times per year.  Keep an eye on their job listings for an announcement.   I got invited to a few others companies for the test put would have flown to another city on my own dime.  There is a company out of Balitmore (can't remember the name) that I could have taken it with too. 

Also look into non nuke plants.  If you get a position give it two years then look to switch.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?