Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu College credits DEP through discharge honeypot

Author Topic: College credits DEP through discharge  (Read 23954 times)

ET3 Vector

College credits DEP through discharge
« on: May 02, 2004, 04:47 »
While in DEP(Delayed Entry Program):

The Navy CASH(College Assistance/Student Headstart) program[1] is a great deal! Unfortunately, many recruiters are unaware of it. If selected, you will be paid basic pay, food and housing allowances to attend school full time for up to 12 months until you ship to boot camp. You will have to provide high school and college transcripts and agree to take at least one calculus course and one calculus-based physics course. I would suggest taking two semesters of each if possible.

[1] http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/nucfield/college/enlisted_options.htm

Based upon the date you report to RTC(boot camp), you will be eligible for an enlistment bonus of:
   OCTOBER- NOVEMBER:   $10,000
   DECEMBER - MAY:      $12,000
   JUNE - SEPTEMBER:    $8,000
You'll get about 1/3 of this when you graduate from NPS(Nuclear Power School) and the rest upon graduation from prototype.

You may also get additional bonuses based on college credit that you received before you get there(but credits earned while in the Navy CASH program don't count, since the Navy was paying you for that time).

You might also want to take CLEP(College Level Examination Program) exams while waiting to go to RTC. These should be free at any military base's career office while you are in DEP. If you test out of basic college requirements such as history, english, and economics, then you will be that much closer to a degree when you get to your first ship.

At boot camp:

Navy boot camp is a joke these days, especially for nuke-selects. Just follow instructions, be in shape when you arrive, and read through the Bluejacket's manual if you wish(from which you can memorize the Sailor's Creed and 7 General orders of a Sentry to get ahead).

At NFAS(Nuke Field A-School):

Enough has already been said. Just remember that the new advancement exams will test both your rating knowledge learned here(i.e. electronics, electrical theory, mechanical theory) and the job knowledge learned at NPS and your ship(nuclear physics and plant operations).

At NPS(Nuclear Power School):

They make sure that almost everyone gets through. These days, those who don't make it get disenrolled for drugs, underage drinking(that's a big one lately), and military/discipline issues. The instructors, advisors, and other students all work together to ensure that if a student wants to succeed, they will graduate(and on time). Out of over 300 students in the last class, less than five were disenrolled for academic reasons(they got reassigned to just about any non-nuke job of their choice in the Navy).

At NPTU(Nuclear Power Training Unit):

Classroom/seminar work for a few weeks, and then you're on your own, searching through manuals for information, and verbally proving your knowledge to the instructors. They don't expect you to have perfect knowledge, just to understand how everything works together. Weeks 8-22 consists of rotating 12-hour shift work. Most people seem to like NPTU much better than NPS or NFAS.

Other items:

OCS(Officer candidate school): Recently, due to the state of the economy, it has been harder to get into OCS due to the increased number of applications. That said, feel free to apply as soon as you get your baccalaureate degree. Additionally, you will need at least two semesters of calculus and two semesters of calculus-based physics if you wish to apply to become a nuclear officer.

STA-21(Seaman-to-Admiral 21): If selected for this program, the Navy will send you to school for up to 3 years, paying you basic pay and food/housing allowances and up to $10,000 tuition per year. You should start to apply early each calander year. Apps are due 1 July, and results come out in October. There is a special program for nukes. If you apply to become a nuke officer while at NFAS, NPS, or NPTU, there are 30? reserved slots available. I believe that last year, about 50% of those who applied were selected.

Laser eye surgery(PRK/LASiK): Don't get this before you get to boot camp. You'll need a medical waiver, and it may disqualify you from some duties. The Navy has a program to perform PRK surgery at no cost, but the waiting list is at least one year, and you cannot even be considered until you reach your first ship. Once you are in the Navy, you can request permission to get surgery at your own expense. PRK is preferred in the Navy. With PRK, a laser burns cells off the surface of your eye, changing the effective shape of the lens. LASiK is done the same way, but a small flap of your eye is peeled back first and replaced afterwards. This speeds recovery time by a few days, but the Navy worries about the possibility of this flap coming loose or causing problems later in your career. They won't even consider LASiK waivers for Pilots, but they now do PRK surgery on Pilots, seals, and submariners all the time.

HTH,

ET3 Vector.
NPTU Charleston
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 04:23 by Roll Tide »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: How to prepare for Navy NPS
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 06:28 »
   Excellent job Vector. Your post could be FAQ"s for Nuke candidates. I never thought I would hear that  almost everyone would get through NPS.  The bottom third of the MMA school class in 71 was dropped pass or fail. NPS was the next washout, it was not until NPTU was it assumed you would pass unless discipinary issues were a factor and even that was not a given.
   Good luck to all of you Baby Nukes and most of all, THANKS for your service to your country.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: NAVY Nukes: College credits from DEP through discharge
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 06:57 »
EXCELLENT!
Especially the advice for DEP!
By the Way, I split this thread because there is more info here than just NPS prep!
Keep us up to date Vector!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Envy Digital

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 11:07 »
Thanks Vector for a VERY informative post. Out of curiosity, is it true that NPS classes are separated into groups with similar education levels/ASVAB scores/ratings? Because from reading around, the students at NPS range from right out of High School to College Graduates. I'm sure there's an intellectual disparity there, so, when calculating GPAs and such, are you in competition with the entire NPS class or your specific subgroup? Also, specifically, how is it easier for Nuke selects at boot camp? Do we assume leadership roles since, we are in fact, entered as E-3s? And lastly, where do you live while at Prototype?

Sorry for all of the questions, but thanks in advance for any answers you are able to post.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 11:44 »
NPS classes prior to 8502 (second class starting in 1985) were segregated by NFQT scores. The top-scoring NFQT classes had higher pass rates than the lowest-scoring. The Nuke field qualification test was a pretty apt indicator of your background in mathematics.

I was in 8502, and I can tell you it made a difference having homogenous mixtures in each classroom. I think it was a positive change, because it encouraged study groups outside of your experience level.

You are in competition with everyone of the same rating in your entire class.

It isn't any easier in boot camp. You are Seaman Recruit Smith for the duration, regardless of what your paycheck indicates. Some Company Commanders use AFQT scores as the initial measuring stick for assignments, but not all. NJROTC or Marching Band Drum Major would be more likely to get you appointed Recruit Company Commander.

Hopefully my 20 year old memories won't prevent Vector or others from posting their current experiences.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline nukeET1

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 12:17 »
To answer some of your questions:

Out of curiosity, is it true that NPS classes are separated into groups with similar education levels/ASVAB scores/ratings?

NPS classes are determined only by what classes graduate NFAS and in what order.  One main problem some students have getting into NPS is security clearance. 

Because from reading around, the students at NPS range from right out of High School to College Graduates. I'm sure there's an intellectual disparity there, so, when calculating GPAs and such, are you in competition with the entire NPS class or your specific subgroup?

Technically you are not in competition with anyone, but if you want to come back as an instructor you need to be top half of your class in NFAS and NPS.  NFAS ranking goes by your class only (generally 18-30 students)  NPS rankings go by the entire class of some 300 ish students.

Also, specifically, how is it easier for Nuke selects at boot camp? Do we assume leadership roles since, we are in fact, entered as E-3s?

This really depends on you.  If you want to assume a leadership role in boot camp then you can volunteer.  In boot camp noone will really know you from being E-1 to E-3, you are still a recruit.  Boot camp nowadays is very easy and for nukes the tests are a joke.

And lastly, where do you live while at Prototype?

Depends,   If you go to Ballston Spa NY then you can live in Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa, or Saratoga.   If you stay around Charleston area then you live out in town in your own apartment.

If you want some advice from someone who has been an instructor at NFAS for several years here is my advice.
1. Come down here with a good attitude.
2. Listen to what your chief/SLPO has to say and do exactly that.
3. Be prepared to work hard, the curriculum is very fast paced and is more then likely harder then anything you have dealt with before.
4. Keep in mind this is not college and you will be required to study each night unless you maintain your GPA >3.40
5. Have fun, it is a great career option, I have 10 years in and am looking at great options in the civilian community.  You will meet some of the best people you will ever meet in your life!

If you have more questions let me know and I will post my answers here! 
Good Luck
ET1

Envy Digital

Re: Navy Nukes: College credits DEP through discharge
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 07:34 »
So I finally enlisted into the Navy Nuke Program last week.  Thanks to this forum, I knew exactly what to look forward to at the MEPS.  I scored a 98 on the ASVAB, and I report to the RTC in December, but my recruiter is working to get an earlier ship-out date.  I am anxious to get to boot camp believe it or not and just excited to finally get a chance to do something with my life. 

I am a big worry-wart, so lately I've been finding things to worry about so now I do have one concern.

One main problem some students have getting into NPS is security clearance.

I do have an history of bad financial irresponsibility--has anyone ever been rejected on that basis?  And how realisitic would it be to get a waiver?  Also, what are your options if you're rejected for security clearance before NPS?

ET3 Vector

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 10:03 »
From what I understand, unless you lied or concealed criminal activity or you have dual citizenship, financial matters are the main reason security clearances get delayed.

Note that I said delayed. It seems that you'll end up being on hold(unable to start Power School) untill they are able to grant you a clearance.

That said, a bad financial history isn't the end of the world. They want to see two things. First, they don't want to grant a clearance to someone with systemic financial issues; a gambling problem for example. They also want to see that you are trustworthy and are willing to live up to your obligations. This means that if you have any outstanding collections or delinquent accounts, start taking care of them now.

If they see that you are taking the initiative to fix your own financial problems, they shouldn't have a problem with you. The Navy wouldn't have let you enlist if you owed too much money, and as a Nuke, you should be able to significantly pay down any debts or settle collections by the time you reach your first ship.

Start today. There are many people on hold right now for this. If you use the time between now and when you arrive wisely, you should have little problem receiving a clearance for financial reasons.

Adidas2806

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 01:25 »
Envy Digital- congrats on finally making the commitment. going to rtc in december? ill be there in november so i guess ill see ya there! though it looks like were stuck there through the holidays- and just something that your recruiter probably didnt tell ya, apparently we go to bootcamp as an E1 and we dont get to put our ranking on untill we graduate.
   do we get paid as an E1 in boot camp also???

which brings me to another question, do they make us PT on holidays? are they just as hard or are they a little more lax on us since its thanksgiving, christmas, and new years???

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 05:05 »
Envy Digital- congrats on finally making the commitment. going to rtc in december? ill be there in november so i guess ill see ya there! though it looks like were stuck there through the holidays- and just something that your recruiter probably didnt tell ya, apparently we go to bootcamp as an E1 and we dont get to put our ranking on untill we graduate.
   do we get paid as an E1 in boot camp also???

which brings me to another question, do they make us PT on holidays? are they just as hard or are they a little more lax on us since its thanksgiving, christmas, and new years???

you get paid as E-3. you don't wear it until you are done with Basic. Holidays are boring and slack, a good time to call home or shine shoes.

Keep in touch with us here throughout your Navy adventure!  ;)

Mah1985

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 08:52 »
i believe we get paid as an E3 but because everyone in rtc is a recruit then everyone is classified as an E1 that way nobody can say they outrank another recruit.

Envy Digital

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 09:37 »
Good deal.  Anyone know what it's like to be a Recruit Company Commander?  My recruiter is urging me about that since I was a drum major for 2 years in HS and 1 summer in Drum Corps International.  To follow-up a previous question, what's there to do while on hold for security clearance? And if denied, is it true that you have top choice for any other rating outside of the nuke field? 

Thanks to all for your replies, one day perhaps I will be able to post such great advice and help new upcoming nukes.

Adidas2806

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 10:32 »
i have been wondering about the recruit company commander thing also. i was under the impression it was just an aide or second in command thing to our drill instructor, how do you become one and what does it entail? does it make rtc easier or harder due to more responsibilities?

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 11:03 »
Your boot camp company will be organized into Navy Ranks. You will have "Recruit Company Commander"  or RPOC wearing the gold anchor of the Chief, 3 (or 4?) Recruit First Class (Master at Arms?, First Platoon Leader, Second Platoon Leader, Assistant RPOC), 8? Recruit PO2 (Squad Leaders, Laundry PO, Training PO, etc.) and about 12 Recruit PO3. There is no difference in pay, but you could get a citation as RPOC or ARPOC, which will help your evals.

Drum Major is the preferred experience for RPOC (pronounced arr-pock), since marching / close order drills is a huge part of the job. As a likely RPOC candidate, practice screaming for hours a day: calling cadence loud enough for a company to hear you (80 men marching 3 abreast is pretty spread out!) Watch movies that have boot camp scenes to get the feel for marching. We actually sang the cadences from "Stripes" when I went through in 1984! All cadences have to be approved, so you probably won't come up with any new ones.

The CCs (Company Commanders) will decide which recruits will fill those positions in the first couple of days based on your experiences they see on your questionnaires, test scores, and general impressions of maturity. Old men and silly kids won't be the recruit leaders. There will probably be a lot of changes in those positions the first week (fire the First Platoon Leader, his bed isn't made with hospital corners! was one I heard)

(I will answer the other questions on a separate post.)

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 11:30 »
To follow-up a previous question, what's there to do while on hold for security clearance? And if denied, is it true that you have top choice for any other rating outside of the nuke field? 

Thanks to all for your replies, one day perhaps I will be able to post such great advice and help new upcoming nukes.

If you are on security hold, there are good jobs and boring jobs to be performed. Since NFAS contains "CONFIDENTIAL" material, you must have the security clearance to start class. They will give you a temporary assignment working in the Barracks or checking Chow Passes at the Mess Hall.

If you told the truth on everything, and they let you in and guaranteed you Nuke Power, they have to let you out if they can't fulfill the contract. Since it would be their fault, they offer anything else that you would accept in lieu of your contract.

I had a buddy, Lee Hennessee, that had a dermatological condition prohibiting his assignment as a radiation worker (eczema on the hands, I think.)
They let him go through MM "A" and NPS, but wouldn't send him to NPTU. When the condition wouldn't clear up, they told him they would send him to any available rating / school of his choice. Lee told them he wanted Cryptographer (CT) school. There is a long waiting list, and they couldn't get it for him: he told them CT or he would go back to Tennessee! They went back and forth trying to get him in class for 6 months, and he had a decent job in the Barracks the whole time. He even made another paygrade while waiting! I believe he got out shortly after I left.

Of course, this all depends on it being the Navy's fault, not your fault for something you tried to hide that prevents the security clearance. It is also contingent on the contract specifying what you are guaranteed. At MEPS, they will ask if you have been promised anything which you haven't seen in writing on your contract: that is the time to get the contract to say what you have been promised if it isn't there already!

Envy Digital

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 03:38 »
Thanks for your post.  I'm not too concerned with being denied, I just noticed this in an earlier post:

...financial matters are the main reason security clearances get delayed.
Note that I said delayed. It seems that you'll end up being on hold(unable to start Power School) untill they are able to grant you a clearance.

So I guess what I meant to ask was: What's there to do while waiting? Some desk job?  Which is fine for me, and besides, the wait isn't that long, I believe.  But would it have a negative effect on your chances if you are applying for an Officer candidate program, specifically the STA-21 program?

Also: ET3 Vector thanks so much for your advice.  Nearly all of the money I am making now is being used to honor my debts which should be fairly easy to pay off since Power School is at least 12-14 months from now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 03:45 by Envy Digital »

dav8

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 06:50 »
Digital,

While on hold you will most likely be cleaning the barracks or the school house.  I have heard of people being on hold for security clearance up to a year and a half.  The wait depends on the reason you're on hold.  It may effect your chance of getting an officer program if you want nuke officer, since without a clearance they aren't going to accept you as a nuke officer.

Envy Digital

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 07:33 »
It may effect your chance of getting an officer program if you want nuke officer, since without a clearance they aren't going to accept you as a nuke officer.

I'm pretty sure you are right.  Bad logic on my part.  Of course if you're in the position of being considered for an officer candidate program, you probably already have clearance.  But I guess what I also want to know is, when being considered, do they take note of the delay and does it have a negative effect or is it a not-so-abnormal thing and they look over it?

Sorry for the confusion, but I think this will sew up any loose ends my curiosity has on the Navy Nuke Program.

StabbingMerlot

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 09:20 »
Hello all.  I'm just another Navy DEPer who ran across this site while looking up navy nuke info.  I asked my recruiter about the CASH program this morning but he said it had been discontinued. 

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2004, 09:38 »
I asked my recruiter about the CASH program this morning but he said it had been discontinued. 

Thanks for the info, Merlot!
Many of these programs are started, but only initially funded and run out after a few months. More money may be allotted later (I would check again after military spending bills are approved.)

It looks like a great program, hopefully it will be back.

check valve

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2004, 12:53 »
The navy cash program is no longer.  It was a bad deal, because if you look at how they set it up, you actually are entitled to less money through GI bill. 

As recent as four years ago, if you were on security hold at NPS, you either cleaned barracks, worked as a site security rover, or checked badges as a sentry at the schoolhouse.

Handgimp

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2004, 08:56 »
If you don't have your clearance when the next Power School class classes up, you stay on T-Track. During T-Track, you support a watchbill that stands quarterdeck watch, roves the perimeter, and cleans the building. Right now there are three watch sections, so everyone does 12 on/24 off. Everybody does T-Track between A School graduation and Power School classup, but you get to take 2 weeks leave if you want.

Trinian23

« Reply #22 on: Jun 19, 2004, 02:16 »
     Congratulations on all of you joining the nuclear pipeline, it is an extremely tough but rewarding school, and you will be forever changed because of it. In between A school and Power school I was on T-track due to only having an interim security clearance. These are granted on the CO level (I believe) In order to go into NPS, you actually had to have the clearance. But don't fret, it is not a bad thing to be on T-track, it is a chance to take a break from school and enjoy things for a little bit, you can explore the area, go to the beach and go find those College of Charleston girls! After NPS, there is prototype. One thing I have not noticed in earlier posts is that nobody has mentioned the oppurtunities for students to be a Staff Pick Up (SPU). This is very good oppurtunity, especially for those of you who are looking to get into an officer program and who may have not made it the first time around. As a SPU, you are an instructor at the Prototype, and you are the low man on the totem pole, but you also very quickly become the technical expert in a lot of areas of plant operations since you end up doing everything. Being a SPU myself until a year ago, I have some advice for those of you going into prototype. First off DO NOT data dump everything you learned in NPS and more importantly "A" school, and while I am at it, try to not just memorize everything in those previous schools. If you have a good working understanding of the rate specific information, you will be able to understand the integrated plant a lot easier...therefore get better grades. Second off, use every oppurtunity you have to learn where valves, switchboards, etc... are. There is always a half hour "end of shift" cleanup, while cleaning, figure out what it is you are cleaning. Physically touch (if you can safely do it) every component that you are studying to get it into your head. DO NOT be intimidated by the instructors at prototype, they are there to help you even though they may be a little gruff at times (hey we're in the Navy). And if you want to be a SPU, it's simple, show some initiative, spend QUALITY time studying, don't be cocky, and review, review, review. If you don't, you will forget stuff that you didn't realize you forgot. And I will dispell this myth also, where I was (s8G), the speed of qualification of a student had absolutely no bearing on whether or not he/she was picked up as a SPU, it was knowledge, test scores, leadership ability, and personality. The most important part of the whole pipeline though, maximize liberty! This is extremely important! I am not saying go get s$&t kickin drunk all of the time (although it may happen every once in a while, oh the stories I could tell) I am saying go out and have a good time, go to the beach, go hiking, waterskiing, whatever floats your boat.
    Fair winds and Following seas.

RCLCPO

« Reply #23 on: Jun 30, 2004, 07:29 »
A couple of points to note:

First, the CASH program has been alive and well for years.  There are recruiting districts that have made the decision not to offer it due to the administrative headaches it gives, but it was not discontinued.  I've been putting people into the program for years without a problem.

Second, any financial concern would arise out of the answers to the security clearance questions on the EPSQ.  Specifically, questions 33-39, where any YES answer would result in you requiring a financial waiver.  If you weren't required to fill out a hand-written statement describing your situation for your local Nuke Recruiter, then your security clearance shouldn't be held up.

For college credits, the ET curriculum was, when I was an instructor there, 26 weeks long and worth 26 college credits.  I have a printout of the current credits from NNPS for each rating, and can fax them to anyone who wants the info (the ET curriculum is worth 79 credits through the end of prototype).

I am the Nuclear Field recruiter for the Pacific Northwest area, and will gladly answer any questions about entering the Navy's best field.

snak3y3z1001

« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2005, 09:18 »
Quick question. You automatically advance to E3 if you qualify and enlist in nukes?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?