Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Waiver? honeypot

Author Topic: Waiver?  (Read 3955 times)

hoppy2120

Waiver?
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:20 »
Any possibility of getting waivers for felony malicious destruction of personal property & misdemeanor vandalism of an automobile?

I'm sure something will show up about felony destruction of mailboxes also even though the charges were dismissed....

This is all in my "sealed" juvenile record.

So basically I messed up a lot as a kid.

But in high school i took four years of german, math up to calc, 2 ap physics classes......

any chance of getting waivers for those charges??

withroaj

Re: Waiver?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:36 »
I'm no expert on this, but I think felonies will knock your name off the guest list pretty quickly.  I had a waiver or six for dumb teenager stuff and I had to wait for all of my statements (which I had to repeat during A-School -- maybe to check for continuity?) to be reviewed and references to be interviewed before I got my clearance.  I had nothing beyond a petty offense on my record.

Due to the drawn out, frustrating process of government paperwork, I'd recommend another line of work that doesn't require a security clearance... or you could check with your recruiter (who just might encourage you to sign up for another rate during your pre-screening).

I know it's too late to say this, but winners don't destroy property and damage automobiles.  :P
... That may have been in poor taste.  Sorry about that.  Good luck with your potential Navy Adventure, and if it doesn't pan out I wish the best in your alternate endeavors.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:47 »
Take a look at COMNAVCRUITCOM 1130.8H (Navy Recruiting Manual - Enlisted) Volume IV
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/Directives/1130_8HVOL%20IV_WCH3.pdf

Section 010104 talks all about waivers for the nuclear program.  Basically it says that felony convictions won't automatically disqualify you, unless it was a "serious" offense.  "Serious" being defined as "punishable by a dishonorable discharge or confinement greater than one year."

In any case, your recruiter is going to have to submit a waiver request to the DCNO (Deputy Chief of Naval Operations) for approval, along with written statements by you about the circumstances surrounding the incidents.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010, 11:07 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

jowlman

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:21 »
No one has told you this yet so I will. If your recruiter does elect to try to go the waiver route, when you make your statement, own up to your mistakes, take personal responsibility and don't try to blame others. It is what will show those making the decision that you have matured.

Offline flatlander86

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:34 »
When I was 18, I was arrested for burglary (felony). The State Attorney ended up dropping the charge to trespassing, and I was able to get a waiver and a clearance. How were your charges dismissed/sealed? The way I did this was to do Pre-Trial diversion, and as it turns out, the Navy considers that an automatic admission of guilt.  Also, when you were told you don't have to inform your employers about offenses in your sealed record, I don't think that includes the military.  Sealed or not, when they do a background check on you for a security clearance, it will come up, and you'll be questioned about it. Be honest about it from the beginning.  To warn you, you will have to sit and have a one-on-one interview with someone of intimidating importance at your local MEPS to explain what happened and to prove that you've moved on.

As far as whether or not you will be able to get a waiver, that's really not a question anyone can answer. It all depends on the demand for nukes at the time. Since I joined the Navy, the economy has (sadly) gotten worse, and consequently, retention has gone way up. So the Navy may not be as desperate as they were when I was joining. The link sovbob posted is probably helpful; however, chances are, any limiting regulations pertaining to what is or is not waiverable, can probably be waived itself. There's a waiver for just about anything when applying for the Navy - even a waiver for having too many waivers.

In short, the best way to answer your question is to try. No matter how bad the economy is, the Navy is always in need of Nukes, and there will be people willing to jump through hoops to try and get you in.  If your transcripts & test scores indicate you have a high probability of making it through the training, and you convince them that your past behavior will remain in the past, I think you definitely have a chance of getting waivers.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?