Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Female nukes/nuke school with kids honeypot

Author Topic: Female nukes/nuke school with kids  (Read 8379 times)

Offline tiffany_1686

• Lurker
Female nukes/nuke school with kids
« on: Jun 28, 2010, 09:16 »
Hi, I've been a lurker of this site for a couple months now. I've been reading and trying to get an idea in my head of what school/life is like for a Navy nuke.

I'm a prior service Navy veteran. I got out after my first 4 years were up (stupid decision) and now I'm trying to get back in. I was an AT2 before, and I auto-qual'd for the nuke program off of my ASVAB line scores when I took it this time. They said there's a good chance I'll be able to keep my E-5 as well. I'm going to MEPS tomorrow to do my physical and credit/background check and all that...

My question is, how is life for a female nuke? Are there many females compared to the number of males? Also, I have two young children, a 2 year old girl and a 1 year old boy. Has anyone gone through nuke school with small kids? Did you get to spend much time with them? I know is pretty intense, but as long as I get to see them on weekends I'll be happy.

Thanks in advance!!  :-*

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: Female nukes/nuke school with kids
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2010, 10:27 »
There has been much discussion on these forums about these topics.  If you dig around long enough, you'll find that there are plenty of others with your same (or similar) questions.  I'll even give you the first clue.

Female Nuke:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,21286.0.html

Children while in the pipeline:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22579.0.html

Go forth, and learn well!
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2010, 07:41 »
My question is, how is life for a female nuke?

The same as life is for a male nuke.

Are there many females compared to the number of males?

About 1 to 10, give or take.

Also, I have two young children, a 2 year old girl and a 1 year old boy. Has anyone gone through nuke school with small kids?

Yep.

Did you get to spend much time with them?

Yes and no.  During A School and Power School, if you do well, you'll probably get to see them quite a bit.  If you get put on extra hours, probably not.

I know is pretty intense, but as long as I get to see them on weekends I'll be happy.

Don't count on it.  Maybe during your first two schools, probably during hold, definitely not during prototype.  You'll have two weekends off every 5 weeks.  Three of those weeks, you'll be working 12-14 hour days while the kids are awake.  One of those weeks, you'll work at night and sleep while the kids are awake.

I went through  Prototype with an infant.  It wasn't fun, but being eat/sleep/poop, she didn't know I wasn't there.  My husband is in prototype now with 2 kids.  Again, the baby doesn't realize much, but it's hell on our older daughter who is lucky if she sees her dad an hour a day.  But that's nothing compared to being deployed for 6+ months with kids at home.

Sovbob posted some great links that will give you a more in-depth description of what you are up against.  I just wanted to throw my $0.02 in as a prior nuke with kids.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 07:43 by KUrunner »
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

Samabby

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2010, 08:41 »
You have two babies and no one else should be raising them. 2 years for the Nuke pipeline is a long time, but it's a lifetime for your babies. Don't miss out on these wonder years. Thank me later.  8)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:25 »
You have two babies and no one else should be raising them. 2 years for the Nuke pipeline is a long time, but it's a lifetime for your babies. Don't miss out on these wonder years. Thank me later.  8)

++++++++++K to you

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

KathleenJL

« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:19 »
There has been much discussion on these forums about these topics. galaga  If you dig around long enough, you'll find that there are plenty of others with your same (or similar) questions.  I'll even give you the first clue.

Female Nuke:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,21286.0.html

Children while in the pipeline:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22579.0.html

Go forth, and learn well!

Thank you! I have the same situation and that's what I've been searching for.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2011, 03:02 by KathleenJL »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?