Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hoping for the BEST!! honeypot

Author Topic: Hoping for the BEST!!  (Read 5127 times)

rharkre

Hoping for the BEST!!
« on: Apr 03, 2011, 07:04 »
Just wanted to share my experience and maybe get some insight for the future.  I spent 12 years in the Army National Guard (combat veteran) and 5 years on a natural gas drilling rig.  On the rig I worked my way up to driller in 3 years (takes most 6-8yrs).  I wanted to be home more, so I took a security position at the nuke plant close by.  While I have been working in security I attend online college courses.  I have been in security now for less than a year and I HATE it.  While going through training for security, I found out who the hiring manager for OPS was.  I knocked on his door, sat down, and told him my past experience and where I wanted to be in life.  He notified me that the position really stresses on having a degree and/or past Navy nuke experience.  Just recently I applied for an AO position and the hiring manager I spoke to months ago sent me an email asking if I could come talk to him.  I sat down with him once more and explained how much mechanical common sense I had from the gas rigs, and that I am close to getting my degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology online.  He said it all sounded good and he remembered me coming to his office months ago.  Right in front of me he put me in for an interview and informed me I would have to pass the POSS test.  The application process ended on the 30th of March, so now I am just waiting patiently for the chance of a lifetime that I never thought would happen.

Question:

- What attire should I wear to the test and possibly the interview?

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2011, 07:43 by rharkre »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Hoping for the BEST!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2011, 09:19 »
If the POSS and interview are on the same day, I recommend suit and tie.

If the POSS is given separately, I recommend Dockers and nice shirt - something comfortable.  Any interview, I'd wear suit and tie unless you know you're going to tour the plant.  I'm sure you already know this but there are practice POSS exams you can take.  I found these very beneficial.

I know of at least one security guard at our plant that is now an AUO.  He had a math degree and was a former teacher.

Good luck!  Thanks for your service!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2011, 02:59 »
heh, you sound like one of the guys in my class. He was prior Army, got a job in security and is now in class with me for NLO (AO).  He is no where near close to having a degree either.

Talk to your HR rep to find out what you need to wear. Casual means business casual, not "casual" haha.  As Murray stated, find out if your poss and interview will be on the same day, some are, some arent.  button up shirt, nice tie, and dress pants is a sure bet in any situation. 

Offline witterkt

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2011, 04:17 »
Congrats man!  Make sure you do your homework...  Make sure you don't take it lightly.  If this interview process is for TXU I am going to be very very very enviously jealous of you...

Edit:  I just read that I wrote "this ISN'T the opportunity of a lifetime", yet I'm the A-Hole looking for the job.  I just realized how ignorant that looked.

GOOD LUCK!
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2011, 09:58 by witterkt »

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2011, 12:29 »
I recently just went through the same thing my test and interview were the same day so I wore a suit and tie. During an interview course I went to they said to wear a white shirt and a plain looking tie for the first interview and they said you can change it up a little for the follow on interview. But during the test I just took off the jacket and loosened my tie up. Don't worry about the exam either. I studied the online practice tests and that was pretty much it. The best advice for the test is if you dont know the answer go to the next question then come back later. You need to answer a certain amount for it to get graded. Alot of people have trouble with the math section but really my hardest part was the assembly section not because it was difficult but because the pictures on the exam were hard to see because they werent of the highest quality. The math however if you just go past the ones you dont know you should be able to answer enough to get it graded and pass. Good Luck

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?