Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Outage parking and the parking lot sharks  

Author Topic: Outage parking and the parking lot sharks  (Read 7720 times)

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
Outage parking and the parking lot sharks
« on: Oct 05, 2009, 09:07 »
When parking close in is at a premium during outages, have you ever heard the theme from "Jaws" in your head as you walk out to your car with your keys in your hand. Due to the circling cars like sharks following you, ready to pounce on the empty parking space as you leave?
Solution 1. Walk down an aisle with a car following you, then quickly skip over to the next aisle where you're parked.
Solution 2. Get in your car and wait ten minutes before starting up and leaving----that gets their blood boiling.

Your Solution?
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline x633ro

• Light User
Re: Outage parking and the parking lot sharks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2009, 11:46 »
When parking close in is at a premium during outages, have you ever heard the theme from "Jaws" in your head as you walk out to your car with your keys in your hand. Due to the circling cars like sharks following you, ready to pounce on the empty parking space as you leave?
Solution 1. Walk down an aisle with a car following you, then quickly skip over to the next aisle where you're parked.
Solution 2. Get in your car and wait ten minutes before starting up and leaving----that gets their blood boiling.

Your Solution?
As a house mouse I usually choose option A. If they want to give me a rideto my car, I'll make sure they get my space, if they troll me at idle speed, I'll ensure someone else gets it. Remember this courtesy as I am not the only one that uses this aproach

Chimera

« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2009, 01:03 »
Dang!  I never to get to park close enough to worry about that.  They take one look at my back pack and hiking shoes and they realize I'm on my way to the back 40.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2009, 07:48 »
Some people just have too many things to worry about. Do you really spend time thinking of ways to annoy people that have nothing better to do with their time than camp out looking for a parking spot a few feet closer to the gate? Why do you even waste time thinking about who has 'your' parking place after you leave? Someone needs a little priority adjustment.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2009, 01:22 »
Heck I usually park at the farthest reaches of the lot anyway.  Quick and easy to find a spot when I arrive and usually closest to the exit points from the lot so easy out too.  Have a friend who is a parking lot shark, make it a point to wave at him as he circles the lot looking for a primo spot, and then harass him when he is 5-10 minutes late because he couldnt get a spot close and ended up parking out by me anyway.  ;D
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2009, 02:28 »
Ignore them, get in my car and get on the road to home as I have wayyy too much to do and too little time to do it in... someone wanting or needing a good parking space is of little concern to me as long as they don't attempt to run me over getting it.  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2009, 03:51 »
Heck I usually park at the farthest reaches of the lot anyway.  Quick and easy to find a spot when I arrive and usually closest to the exit points from the lot so easy out too.  Have a friend who is a parking lot shark, make it a point to wave at him as he circles the lot looking for a primo spot, and then harass him when he is 5-10 minutes late because he couldnt get a spot close and ended up parking out by me anyway.  ;D

Exactly...and, if I park the same place every day, I don't end up wandering around the parking lot looking for my car after a 12-hour shift!  ;)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2009, 10:33 »
Do you really spend time thinking of ways to annoy people that have nothing better to do with their time than camp out looking for a parking spot a few feet closer to the gate?

Yes
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2009, 04:23 »
@Peach it is remarkable how many seemingly able bodied handicapped people are working here!!!

I just park at the Boat Launch or as far away from the plant as possible.

Its a nice little pick me up walking in, then if I am lucky I find a house guy to drop me off out yonder.

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2009, 07:56 »
Obviously, those who worry about the sharks, and park close enough to play games with the sharks, have got to be sharks themselves!!  I park in an empty lot, no traffic to fight, and I am the only one out there after shift.  I am usually 20 minutes early for my shift as well.  And, it is a healthy walk. 

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2009, 04:38 »
The abuse of handicapped placards is a sore spot with me.  We had one house pipefitter at BFN who borrowed his mother's car (with handicapped tag) for outages.  Jerk.

Another is those who decide they need to take up two desperately needed parking spaces by bringing their boat or bushhog and tractor to work on a trailer. 

The sharks....I don't care about playing games with them but they sit there and burn a gallon of gas just to shave 20 seconds off their walk.
Dave

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2009, 10:46 »
I have to agree with all that is being said.  My philosophy is simply this.  I arrive 30 to 40 minutes early (have always done this).  I start near the "front".  If I'm lucky there will be a person leaving early or there may actually be an empty space available, if not I just continue the circuit until I come to the FIRST available space and park my bubba truck there.  No worries, no rushing in through security.  I still have time to fix some hot tea and relax before the pre shift briefing.  'Nuff said.

Johnnie

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?