Pilgram

Above Average
20 (31.3%)
Average
18 (28.1%)
Below Average
26 (40.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Pilgrim  (Read 126525 times)

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
Re: Pilgrim
« Reply #75 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:31 »
Oh , don't listen to Hoppe, he's probably wearing his Chubs Tie thinking about how nice Matsusaka would've looked in a Cubs shirt!!!!!  Ho Pat.... hope all is well with you...went fishing with Bronicki this past summer and had a ball...R U still consulting?????  Shine

Vic Vega

« Reply #76 on: Dec 15, 2006, 06:53 »
You mentioned that "a good portion of the blame does lay with me."  Maybe you ought to delve a little further into that statement instead of blaming everyone else for your misery.  You also must be quite "narrow" to make such sweeping generalizations that "these are the most narrow people I have ever met" and that "if your ancestors didn't step off the Mayflower, then they don't want you here."  Sounds as if you are no better than the people you are describing.  New Englanders may appear cold and rude, but once you get to know them, they have incredibly warm hearts.  From my past experiences, workers at Pilgrim go far out of their way to make people, whether you are an ex-Navy nuke or just not from the area, as comfortable and welcome as possible.  Perhaps it is your approach that is faulty.  One thing New Englanders (and most considerate people, I would imagine) will not tolerate is a person that is condescending and "Holier than Thou".  If this sounds like you, you may want to try re-evaluating your strategy.  The only "secret code word to get into the club" is a smile, some sincerity and most importantly, humility.  A little of that goes a long way.  Try it out and let me know how it works.  Sounds like you've got nothing to lose.  And if its sympathy that you want, you've definitely moved to the wrong area. 

Offline nickthestick

• Light User
  • Don't hate the player, hate the game!!
« Reply #77 on: Dec 15, 2006, 07:31 »
I also married a local, or two there, the second has worked out 1000 times better than the first. What I can tell you coming from the midwest, and living there for 14 years, is that if you give it time, and are open minded, the people are great, the area is beautiful, and that you too may eventually fall in love with it. My personal opinion, but I felt out of place when I first moved there too, for about 6 months. Just stay open minded, and consider yourself more fortunate than many other people, for landing a great job. Now that I'm not there, I try and get back afew times a year for our vacations. And a quick shout out to Shine, miss ya man!

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #78 on: Dec 18, 2006, 10:48 »
Sorry I missed you at Bronicki's this past summer Nick, I think you were in Chicago. Any new additions??? Take care....

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #79 on: Dec 18, 2006, 10:55 »
well one can't downplay the fact that Pilgrim ranks right up there with Oyster Creek 8)

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #80 on: Dec 18, 2006, 12:59 »
Well, as long as adolecent heavy metal worshippers stay away, I don't think anyone at Pilgrim really cares what others have to say about the place.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #81 on: Dec 18, 2006, 01:31 »
well...i remember you when you were a rocker at IP. so leave the music out!
The plant (Pilgrim) still sux IMHO. The thread is talk about pilgrim, Pilgrim!

go-lsu-fan

« Reply #82 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:55 »
Anyone know of a place to stay around this area please let me know................Dennis

LaFeet

« Reply #83 on: Mar 11, 2007, 03:28 »
Pilgrim, while small, does  not suck.  The people at the plant were  great and I had a ball.  Hey Shine,  this here Reb isa coming back for another round.  Without the chew, and no NASCAR here. 

I favor the smaller plants, and the change of seasons.  As to who thinks what.... to each their own.   Just dont dump because you cant adapt.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #84 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:49 »
When I was there (about 100 years ago) I got along very well with the locals, loved the area (except for winter which was AWFUL)  and the plant still ranks among the worst 2 or 3 I have ever been to (out of about 30 or so). The dose rates were outrageous (pegged a teletector several times outside the drywell), the contamination levels were by far the worst I have ever seen (15 REM gamma on a smear, and widely spread) and most of the house techs would have had to come up several levels to be considered anything but arrogant and downright mean... and I am trying hard to be polite. Other than that it was a great place to work. I hope things there have changed, but it would take a lot to get me to go back to find out.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #85 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:03 »
hum..from the looks of the polls...average or BELOW...Seems just about right from when i was there in '97...BTW ..it sucked then!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #86 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:46 »
the polls don't account for people who worked there in the 80s vs people in near past, so how do we know many of the people rating Pilgrim aren't doing if from a 20 year old experience.  I say this because I was there in 05 and liked it very much.  Anzalone and Fitzy, what up!  Steve was the man too...thanks for hooking me up with that job man!  Pilgrim rocked, lately.....

LaFeet

« Reply #87 on: Mar 18, 2007, 10:11 »
 There is still a large number of local "Off Season" rentals near the plant on various sites:

www.vbro.com
 www.cyberrental.com

These are just two that I use often.

Good luck and see you there.... I believe I am drywell bound (again)  ;)

LaFeet

« Reply #88 on: Apr 18, 2007, 06:39 »
Currently here at Pilgrim, and while it seems to be a fluster cluck,   it is still enjoyable to be here......... and no facial percons on my watch (yet).   Looks like I owe a lot of people a beer :P

And yeah,  I'll definitely come back for the next outage :)
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007, 06:40 by LaFeet »

LaFeet

« Reply #89 on: Apr 20, 2007, 05:58 »
I told them I had a Plasma Cutter for that pump seal....... now if they can just pass a few Nozzle ISI's we could get an outage started.   Still love it here.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #90 on: Apr 20, 2007, 07:55 »
Sorry, can't do plasma on stainless anymore.  Look for a lot of changes with welding and cutting.  Lots of sucking rubber for a few years.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

LaFeet

« Reply #91 on: Apr 24, 2007, 03:52 »
Thats okay with me Beercourt... I was just offering anyway.  We finally got the darn thingie out, and its going back together finally.  Just some two weeks behind now...

fntstk4

« Reply #92 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:24 »
can you guys tell me what schedule the operators are on?  8s/12s?  rotation?

thanks...

LaFeet

« Reply #93 on: Apr 25, 2007, 06:24 »
There's no operators here......   oh you mean the guys who hang tags :P

I believe they are on 12 hour shifts.... I could be wrong.

LaFeet

« Reply #94 on: Apr 26, 2007, 06:37 »
Outage layoff list has hit the fan..... most leave Saturday the 28th.

And the drywell is still open.......  these house techs gonna be busy bees soon.

Would love to stay, but VY isa callin

fntstk4

« Reply #95 on: Apr 28, 2007, 09:48 »
thanks much

i applied for an AO spot, just trying to get my ducks in a row...figure out what i'm potentially in for

LaFeet

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2007, 09:17 »
thanks much

i applied for an AO spot, just trying to get my ducks in a row...figure out what i'm potentially in for
Got word today   fuel done movin   however....  that N2K nozzle just being a bast3RD..... and the tubine and condy bay still looks like Iraq on  bad day.....

Hey Brian   Mickey   I am available to go back after VY  I could always get more beer....maybe Shine will let me stay with him???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 10:36 by LaFeet »

LaFeet

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2007, 10:34 »
Any word on Pilgrim????   I am working on my second week at VY

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2007, 11:26 »
Sorry, can't do plasma on stainless anymore.  Look for a lot of changes with welding and cutting.  Lots of sucking rubber for a few years.

Why is it you can't use plasma on stainless ? Just curious.
Call Before You Dig!

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2007, 12:06 »
Why is it you can't use plasma on stainless ? Just curious.

They're tightening the regulations on hexavalent chromium: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hexavalentchromium/index.html
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?