NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu CHP?  

Author Topic: CHP?  (Read 9470 times)

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
CHP?
« on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:00 »
I'm currently planning to try and take the CHP test next year.  I'm not so egotistical to believe that I'll pass it on first try.  It has taken me 20+ years  to (hopefully) meet the qualifications to take it, I'm not going to get my feelings hurt if takes a couple of tries to pass.

What is employment situation like for CHP's now?  Is there outage work? What kind of premium does the CHP get you above NRRPT?  Do the main HP contract companies have openings for CHP's or are there specialized outfits?

breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

wlrun3@aol.com

Re: CHP?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:16 »

...will you be taking both parts of the exam...how will you prepare...

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:23 »
dude.... axing iffen there are jobs for chps is like asking iffen there are jobs for doctors.  yest there are jobs.  outage work would be in the minority of classifications available.  chp is a consultant (big bux) level, above engineering, which is above technician, which is above worm food.  if a chp is gonna be involved with an outage, he is gone by the time the outage rolls around, unless he is a house chp.  house chp at power plants usually start as departmental heads until they get their feet wet.  then they move into regulatory affairs, environmental response, etc.  chp are in demand with goverment groups (think nrc, homeland security), medical areas, and dod to name a few.  study like you mean it, the rewards will be great.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:53 »
Thanks SloGlo.

Wlrun, my current plan is to do like I did for NRRPT.  Read everything I can get my hands on and work a bunch of problems.  Maybe try and find a prep class somewhere.  I plan to take both sets if they  let me.  I figure it is easier to get ready once than to have to do it twice. 

Keep in mind that HPS don' t make it easy for a tech to even take their test.  You have to show "professional" experience.  They explicitly don't count tech time.  I need to show that some fraction of my experience is professional. Almost 24 years of experience,  need 6 that they will count.  Not sure if I can even qualify yet.  But it is worth a try.  The old knees are complaining about ladders already and its a long time till I can afford to retire.  Might be fun to see if the old brain can get restarted after all these years.  It used to work but not sure how many braincells survived some of the stuff I did to them ;D

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:50 »

...i found the 30 Part 1 Typical Exam Questions strongly representative of the actual exam...

...the Part 1 Exam was much more time intensive than the NRRPT Exam...

...extensive use of exam prep software was very effective (i passed)...

...Cember and Bevelacqua were highly relevant...

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2007, 04:27 »
Those were the texts that I already had and were planning to use. good news there

Where did you get the exam prep software? 

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:45 »

...i used datachem, radware and nevada technical associates...

...strong preference for datachem...

...have you been accepted to take either part...

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:49 »
not yet.  I'm starting to get my stuff together for application for test in 2008.  When I made up my mind to do it there was only a few days left to get paperwork together for this year.  It will take some time to get everything that they want.  I may just be dreaming that I can get them to accept my quals.  But maybe worth the effort. 

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:28 »

...good luck on the 2008 exam...

...all 30 of the ABHP Examination Preparation Guide Part 1 Typical Questions are included in the nukeworker.com quiz "CHP Part 1 Exam Practice Test"...

...all 25 of the NRRPT Practice Examination Questions offered on the NRRPT website are included in the nukeworker.com quiz "NRRPT Practice Exam"...   

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:35 »
We sell the CHP practice exam from Rad Ware in our online store (see table at top of page) (we also have NRRPT and RCT practice tests).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?