Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Tritium Exit signs

Author Topic: Tritium Exit signs  (Read 9210 times)

sboudreaux

Tritium Exit signs
« on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:12 »
Anyone know where i can dispose of tritium exit signs?

alphadude

Re: Tritium Exit signs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:33 »
unreal I just had to answer that question for our company. yes I do but it will cost. dont buy them from some company that will not take them back. I can get the vendor name for you but its not cheap. 

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:19 »
My company uses a company called Isolite for disposal of H-3 signs.  Try www.isolite.com and if you contact them they should put you in contact with a local rep.  AlphaDude is right in that it wont be cheap, but I dont have numbers in front of me.

David

raymcginnis

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:26 »
I just found this list yesterday from the Conference of Radiation Control Program Directors while researching something else.  Where they say tritium lights, they are talking about your signs.  This may just be a contact list for the original manufacturers (OEM).  I have heard about a company in Canada for disposal or recycling, if the OEM is not a choice for you.  I'll ask around and see if I can find the name and get contact information.  They are not an option for us because our company won't allow rad mat to be transferred to another country.  Here is a link to the CRCPD list.

http://www.crcpd.org/CommercialServices/OutletsforRadMat.pdf

alphadude

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:38 »
oh and treat broken signs as a serious rad incident.

sboudreaux

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:47 »
i found a company called Specialty lights that will take them back for $100 plus shipping.  Thanks for you guys help

raymcginnis

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:11 »
It turns out that all of the US companies on the list that I posted have some regulatory issues and some, including one(s) mentioned in these threads,  are now under the Superfund legislation, although they are still conducting business.  I'm not privvy to how serious it is.  Other people at our company, including legal, have investigated this.  We won't ship to any of them because of pending or possible future lawsuits.  We don't want anything radioactive from our sites or paperwork with our company name on it at those sites.  It also turns out that the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission has refused to renew the license of the Canadian company that I mentioned earlier because they, quote: "will not make adequate provision for the protection of the environment when carrying out activities that include the processing of tritium."  As far as we know, there is nowhere safe to send them to, at this time.  Proceed with caution is my advice.  We could be being overly protective and the risk may be worth it to your company but I would at least notify your legal group about your disposal plans.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2007, 07:32 by RadPro Guy »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?