Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 120 days...
honeypot

Author Topic: 120 days...  (Read 11963 times)

JustinHEMI05

120 days...
« on: Feb 25, 2007, 03:13 »
and the hunt begins! I have 120 days left in the Navy and I am now setting out on my job hunt! Still a *little* early I think but I want to start getting my name out there. I am also getting very excited... and nervous... all at the same time about the major life change I am about undergo. Wish me luck!

Justin

Rad Sponge

Re: 120 days...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2007, 08:17 »
and the hunt begins! I have 120 days left in the Navy and I am now setting out on my job hunt! Still a *little* early I think but I want to start getting my name out there. I am also getting very excited... and nervous... all at the same time about the major life change I am about undergo. Wish me luck!

Justin

Thank you for your service.

What did you do and what do you wish to do?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2007, 08:33 »
I was/am an MM1SS ELT/EWS who qualified EOOW/EDO at prototype. I like nuclear power and am focusing on that aspect of my job search but there are other things that have my attention too. IE forest ranger at yellowstone, best buy manager, opening a franchise. So many possibilities. But I really like operating a nuclear power plant, so that will get most of my focus.

Justin

Charles U Farley

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2007, 08:40 »
Whoa whoa whoa, Shipmate!

120 days puts you right on the brink of the results list coming out.  I don't think I can let you do this. Shipmate, please!

I'll give you my email, so if you get any leads on a decent job, I'll be right behind you.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2007, 09:49 »
good luck!  I know BZ won't like this, but with that resume you will be in high demand.....don't take the first offer.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2007, 03:50 »
Whoa whoa whoa, Shipmate!

120 days puts you right on the brink of the results list coming out.  I don't think I can let you do this. Shipmate, please!

I'll give you my email, so if you get any leads on a decent job, I'll be right behind you.

LOL well considering I wasn't good enough to pick up MMC last year with EOOW/EDO/EWS, LPO at sea and prototype, etc, I decided the Navy wasn't good enough for me to put a whole lot of effort into the exam this year.  ;) Their loss.

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007, 03:59 by JustinHEMI05 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2007, 03:54 »
good luck!  I know BZ won't like this, but with that resume you will be in high demand.....don't take the first offer.

Thanks for the input and support. I am keeping all options open. Considering two of my peers with very similar resumes got hired on as SRO candidates with Exelon, I am leaning towards that. But like I said, I am keeping an open mind and won't be closing any doors based on a lot of what I have read on this site as far as instant SRO position go. I am not real sure I want that to start out with. However, I have a lead at a place whose next SRO class is jan 2009 and we are in negotiations for a position that will have me to start with that class while at the same time allow me to learn the plant for the 1.5 years before I class up. I think that would be better for me instead of jumping right into something I know absolutely nothing about. Although, I do pick this crap up pretty fast.

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007, 03:58 by JustinHEMI05 »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:53 »

I hate myself because I'm going to sound a little like Broadzilla here. MM1(SS) LELT/EWS is a pretty common ex Navy resume. How does that stack up to an ex E9 with Twenty years and a proven track record? Not all reviewers are pro Navy but I suspect most are. When you leave the Navy you are no longer the big frog in your pond you are following many others (over a 100,000 ex Navy Nukes) into a new pond. Most HR departments do respect and frequantly seek ex-Navy Nukes but come prepared eyes open ready to compete, looking for the best fit for you and your employer.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2007, 02:59 »
no, I was talking about EOOW.  that is somewhat special, right?  I'm also reffering to the state of the market for anybody with any type of nucler training, which should start to turn into an employees market concerning the positive trend in nuc power right now, just an assumption here.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2007, 03:10 »
I hate myself because I'm going to sound a little like Broadzilla here.

Can I compete in the BZ competition, too? Maybe he will come in for a few rounds of smack-down later.  8)

I am hoping that you have done a lot of preparation before that 120 day mark. Based on what you have posted, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

There are companies that will offer you an excellent opportunity for SRO at a commercial nuke. I was never a Forest Ranger at Yellowstone (though I was a Radcon Ranger on the Yellowstone AD-41) nor owner of my own franchise. But I can tell you that if you are as driven in your commercial nuclear career as you were in your military career, you will want to move up.

If you are willing to put in the extra time and effort to be superior, you will be well compensated in the future. You will make more when you first get out than while you were in, because quite a few companies are looking at the same time. After your training period (which can be years) you should be making $100K as SRO. The potential is there for even better $$$ down the road.

The bad news is that it will take years. Any company that wants you to succeed will find a way to give you the experience to be successful. That could be either the AUO program followed by SRO. Another option is to bring you in through some sort of "Leadership Academy" where you rotate through a few developmental positions prior to SRO class. But the shortcuts that some employers took a couple of years back were not successful, and hopefully won't be repeated.

Oh, and thanks for your service.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2007, 03:16 »
no, I was talking about EOOW.  that is somewhat special, right?  I'm also reffering to the state of the market for anybody with any type of nucler training, which should start to turn into an employees market concerning the positive trend in nuc power right now, just an assumption here.

The only difference between the EWS and the EOOW qual cards on both of my boats was a couple of drills. All training and retraining for EWS and EOOW was done together. I spent a lot of my time in Manuevering while the EOOW wandered the engineering spaces. The big difference was needs of the Navy and the command structure.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:58 »
Geez,

Thanks for the support and encouragement. I guess thanks for the negative aspects too. Didn't expect to garner this much response about getting out and looking for a job. :)

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007, 10:41 by JustinHEMI05 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2007, 10:36 »
Justin...buddy.

I didn't reach quite as high in quals as you did.

I got hired as a NLO.  What more can you hope for.  It is what you do with that open door that makes a difference.

Good Luck to you and thank you for your service.

Jason

Thanks for the encouragement. Thats what I think... close no doors.

Justin

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:45 »
Thanks for the support and encouragement. I guess thanks for the negative aspects too.

If you are like me, the best advice you receive will often be disguised as a slap in the face! (If I didn't have a HEMI, I would have been more harsh in my post, too.)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2007, 01:21 »
Take any reasonable opportunity that is offered. I DO believe the best SROs are the ones who grew up as NLOs and I think most will support that conclusion. HOWEVER if you're willing to bust your arse and put in what it takes then IF you were offered a good SRO Opportunity I'd jump at it. Just don't think that given your background that you're prepared to do so because I'll tell you right now you're not, you haven't even played in the Rookie Leagues yet. It depends on what you want, keep in mind if you take the SRO Position and you're NOT exactly enraptured with the area you're more emplyable once you get the license. ALSO keep in mind if you decide to jump while in the middle of the training or you fail out, you most likely won't get that opportunity ANYWHERE else. I've yet to hear of anyone failing out of an NLO program outside of getting into some FFD problem or run in with the law.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2007, 04:55 »
Take any reasonable opportunity that is offered. I DO believe the best SROs are the ones who grew up as NLOs and I think most will support that conclusion. HOWEVER if you're willing to bust your arse and put in what it takes then IF you were offered a good SRO Opportunity I'd jump at it. Just don't think that given your background that you're prepared to do so because I'll tell you right now you're not, you haven't even played in the Rookie Leagues yet. It depends on what you want, keep in mind if you take the SRO Position and you're NOT exactly enraptured with the area you're more emplyable once you get the license. ALSO keep in mind if you decide to jump while in the middle of the training or you fail out, you most likely won't get that opportunity ANYWHERE else. I've yet to hear of anyone failing out of an NLO program outside of getting into some FFD problem or run in with the law.

Mike

Yes from reading these forums a lot the last few months I do realize that EOOW doesn't in fact = SRO like a lot of silly officers believe. That is why I am hoping this other non-SRO job, that leads to SRO in about 1.5 years, pans out.

Justin

Edit: To change quote box.  HC
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2007, 06:36 by honeycomb »

shayne

« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2007, 09:08 »
I once took a job at a nuclear power plant with the desire to move up into a licensed position.  After finishing NLO and getting to know more about the various jobs, I found out it really wasn't what I wanted to do.  Since then I have moved on from nuclear power, but starting as a NLO helped me decide what I wanted to do.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2007, 10:11 »
same here, NLO is a great way to start and figure out what you want to do.  it's like being a sophomore in college and deciding to switch your "nuclear major" because you've been immersed in commercial nuclear and now you know enough to at least know what you want.  and when you've been an NLO for a couple years you know how a commercial nuke runs somewhat as well and that will serve you nicely later on.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2007, 01:34 »
Excellent, thanks for the ideas fellas.

Justin

Wirebiter

« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2007, 02:11 »
LOL well considering I wasn't good enough to pick up MMC last year with EOOW/EDO/EWS, LPO at sea and prototype, etc, I decided the Navy wasn't good enough for me to put a whole lot of effort into the exam this year.  ;) Their loss.

Justin

Soooooo.. did you make board?

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2007, 02:38 »
Justin,

Don't let ANYONE here talk you out of a job opportunity that you feel you're qualified to perform. In the long run, the Opinions here are just opinions, though many are made with a vast amount of experience.

If you get a job offer as an SRO and it's a good offer in an area in which you're willing to live then by all means take it. You can get plenty of technical help here and there are a couple very successful SROs who post on this board who can help you. Technically it doesn't matter which type of reactor you choose as there are a couple cross licensed or soon to be cross licensed SROs here. Remember, having the SRO License gives you a LOT more flexibility should you decide to leave because with that license you've pretty much proved you can do anything, provided you've actually utilized said license.

It comes down to what you want. I can see you're much like Jason and Chief Rob, willing to take input graciously and willing to ask for it. Most likely you'd do well no matter WHAT avenue you take. Experience shows the best SROs are those who either grew up at a plant or were successful at other utilities. That doesn't mean you cannot get a license, M1Ark will tell you guys at his utility got them right out of the Navy. What matters is how you act when you get it. If you try Navy "Leadership" with a bunch of Non Licensed Operators.... Well you'll get EXACTLY what you ask for and when something goes wrong you'll tell EXACTLY what you told them to do. If you get the license, and you're willing to accept input, admit when you are wrong, and treat those around you with respect you'll do ok.

Just do what's right for you, not what we think is right for you or what we you think we think is right for you. Either way I think you'll do fine.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2007, 12:21 »
Soooooo.. did you make board?

Last year? Yes and submitted an excellent board package too. I guess my 2-4 minutes of consideration by the board didn't cut it.

Justin

Rad Sponge

« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2007, 01:42 »
Where's that resume shippy?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2007, 08:15 »
On the way. Have been having some computer troubles. New motherboard is running well.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?