Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu STA-21 Advice

Author Topic: STA-21 Advice  (Read 14091 times)

Cycoticpenguin

STA-21 Advice
« on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:06 »
Hello, I'm looking for advice from those who have succesfully completed STA-21. 

What Im interested in - 1) What is expected to be picked for this program (High GPA, good record, sure. I have mediocre grades (3.2 isnt TOO bad :-/) but I can't see them just picking up from just 3.5+)
                                 2) Any Tips that helped you get selected
                                 3) any regret doing it? (i.e. wish you stayed enlisted, enlisted longer, what have yous)
                                 4) how does the getting into a college part work? are you automatically gaurenteed to be enrolled at any of the colleges they have??

Thank you very much in advance

-Jordan
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2007, 04:06 by Cycoticpenguin »

Cycoticpenguin

Re: STA-21 ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:04 »
ARG! sorry I completely forgot to search. Ill keep that in mind next time lol.

Does anyone know of any other nuke related military sites??? (good ones anyway?)

Cycoticpenguin

Re: STA-21 Advice
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:20 »
There are other sites on the internet other than NUKEWORKER(dot)com?  Get out'ta'here.  (<*in my best northerner voice*> For'get'ta'bout'it)

Seriously, I don't now of any.  Maybe BZ or JMK know of a few.  But, no one has better intel on the Nuke Power Pipeline than right here.  Sorry.

Jason

Id love to just ask questions all day (I get "yelled" at for asking too many questions during class  ;)) I just dont want to "overstay my welcome" with all my questions, if theres a better source out there.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:22 »
do you apply for college before being accepted to STA-21? or do you join STA-21 and apply.
My grades in highschool are very poor. I did very well on my ACT/sat though? will that plus nuke school get me into a college?

The answer to your question may not be specific to STA-21. Many colleges are much more receptive to non-traditional students, especially when they have demonstrated performance. Any college with NROTC is likely to look favorably upon a good Nuke school record. You won't be getting in to Stanford, but you will be able to get into a goo college. (With or without STA-21)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:56 »
The Navy often looks at top half or top quarter of class (or GPA) as an indicator of how well you perform in a particular training program. Many others look at Nuclear Power School as a simple pass/fail. When I say "demonstrated performance" to get into a college, I am NOT saying top 10% in NPS. But the higher you can rank, the better your chances with the Navy's selection!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2007, 01:09 »
How do I ask the Command Career Counselor about this. Every time I go in there, hes very... "angry"? I guess all senior chiefs are :)

On a serious note, he is very hard to approach if you dont know EXACTLY what you want to ask, and hes not very willing to "sit and talk". Hence why im posting here :(

Senior Chief must have read the $80-100K postings...  ::)

Anyway, if you want more information on the college requirements consider another source. ESO (Educational Services Officer) was usually a collateral duty that someone else at the command holds. They had more info on degree programs than CCC (in many circumstances).

Sometimes the ones unwilling to "sit and talk" in general respond better to either an e-mail or a scheduled discussion than off the cuff discussions.

JsonD13

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:41 »
Usually, the quota for STA-21 isn't released for a while yet, considering packages aren't due until August (July for Nukes).  You won't even find out results until October.  I don't know where he is getting his numbers, but it sounds like crap to me.  BTW, plenty of time to apply if you still want to.  You might get a lil crap if you missed any command deadlines though.

Wirebiter

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:24 »

Should I apply now anyway? Is there a limit to the amount of times I may apply? And how do I email the Sr Chief? Sorry for my incompetence here, but I have no one to ask :(

Yes, apply as often as you are elligable.  Even if you do not get selected for the program, you may still get an alternate spot.  If you don't go as an alternate, then reapply next year and include in your statement that you were an alternate last year.

You are only limited by the restrictions of the community you are applying for.  These restrictions are usually age, NEC, and/or SAT/ACT scores.

Spend some good qualiity time here:   https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

PM me if you have questions.  I am the Educational Services Officer at my seagoing command.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?