Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Passports honeypot

Author Topic: Passports  (Read 7475 times)

znowman

Passports
« on: Mar 20, 2007, 11:20 »
I've been reading through this site the last month or so, and haven't felt the need to post anything because its very good information and answers almost all of my questions except two.

I was searching through the database and couldn't find the answers to my questions.

I joined up for the Navy Nuke program, in June last year, due to ship July 19th.. Really excited blah blah blah.

1) Does the Navy provide a passport once you complete Boot? I haven't seen anything about this.  Or should I go ahead and get one now?

2) I have the ability of getting a dual citizenship with Canada when I turn 18, would accepting this affect my eligibility of becoming a nuke?  I have until I'm 28 I believe before it expires.  So I'm mainly speculating.

Thanks for any and all advice :)

JustinHEMI05

Re: Passports
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2007, 01:16 »
I've been reading through this site the last month or so, and haven't felt the need to post anything because its very good information and answers almost all of my questions except two.

I was searching through the database and couldn't find the answers to my questions.

I joined up for the Navy Nuke program, in June last year, due to ship July 19th.. Really excited blah blah blah.

1) Does the Navy provide a passport once you complete Boot? I haven't seen anything about this.  Or should I go ahead and get one now?

2) I have the ability of getting a dual citizenship with Canada when I turn 18, would accepting this affect my eligibility of becoming a nuke?  I have until I'm 28 I believe before it expires.  So I'm mainly speculating.

Thanks for any and all advice :)

1) No the Navy doesn't provide a passport.
2) Not sure really. Maybe someone else will know for sure. Now, I don't *think* you will have a problem but in this day an age, you never know.

Justin

jowlman

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2007, 01:37 »
The navy wont supply you with a passport. Mainly due to the fact that while you're in you wont need one. All active duty military personnel only need their military ID card when travel abroad.

Austria

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2007, 05:55 »
The navy wont supply you with a passport. Mainly due to the fact that while you're in you wont need one. All active duty military personnel only need their military ID card when travel abroad.

I think that is true as long as you are travelling on military business, such as when you pull into port somewhere or are stationed overseas. If you are travelling on vacation you'll most likely need a passport. It's not a bad idea to get one. They are good for 10 years and are the most 'official' for of ID you can cary worldwide.

Don't know how dual citizenship would affect the Nuke program, if at all. Check out http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html to see what the US has to say about it. The part about a dual citizen "owing allegiance to both the United States" and the foreign country" may or may not conflict with the Nuke program. Probably best to ask someone from the legal dept. where you are stationed about that question.

Wirebiter

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2007, 06:33 »

Before last year, this would be true, but since you are now required to present your Passport upon rentry into the US, it would be a very good idea to go ahead and get one.  Besides, it will come in handy if you have to fly out to or fly home from your ship/sub.  Additionally, if you have a passport already, you may be able to visit more countries than just the ones that your sub/ship pull into.  A former shipmate of mine had his when he visited Gibralter.  Since he had his passport, he could take the ferry over to Morroco, where as the majority of his shipmates couldn't, since they only had Military I.D.s

Personnally, when I travel abroad, I do all in my power not to let anyone know that I am US active duty Military.  Todays day and age you are just better off.  Having a Passport helps me keep my Military ID in my pocket.

-Rob

znowman

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2007, 01:37 »
Thanks for the info guys! I think today after classes I'm going to run to the court house and go ahead and get the ball rolling on the passport issue.

Who would be the best person to contact about my dual nationality in the Navy, and my eligibility in the nuke program?  Because I remember at MEPS the petty officer there said I was lucky that both of my parents were not Canadian otherwise I would not be able to enter the program. So I'm not entirely sure about that one.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2007, 12:31 »
Ask you recruiter or meps people. There has to be some phone numbers you can call.

Justin

Austria

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2007, 05:08 »
You could also try sending an e-mail with your question to: nukeprograms@cnrc.navy.mil
They claim you can expect an answer within an hour.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2007, 09:23 »
If you can wait until you get out for the dual citizenship thing, it's the way to go. Once you are in, you would be discouraged (perhaps even prohibited). Before you are in, it will require jumping through more hoops.

After you get out, I see no negatives.

And thanks for your service!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:01 »
FYI, a dual citizen ship will prevent you from getting your clearence...2 of my friends didnt not make class up with us until they gave up their citizenship up the other country...so you will go through A school, but will be stuck on the horrid T-Track for a long time.

So dual citizen ship = no power school...any more questions let me know.

Dennis

znowman

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:03 »
Ahh cool, thanks!

I kind of figured it was something along those lines.  I'll just wait until I get out to get my 2nd citizenship.

Sirveri

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2007, 12:14 »
An Officer on my boat has top secret.

His wife is a foreign national.
Canadian.
His security rep asked him one question.
"If we get into a war with Canada will you leak info to your wife."
"No."
Allright, well here you go then.

Foreign national will NOT stop your security clearance, though it might slow it down. That and security is filled with idiots, we had a kid with undeclared felonies and open warrants with a confidential clearance in power school. They only found out when the FBI got involved because they declared him UA. Needless to say he's not in the Navy anymore. The only sure thing involving clearances is that nobody knows what will happen.

MMCDude

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 08:41 »
Go ahead and get a passport!  It's only about $100 and is good for 10 years...

I just got back from a deployment last month, and off the top of my head I can think of at least five people off the boat that got stuck at various airports because they DIDN'T have one..  >:(

MMC

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?