Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Career Options in the Navy.

Author Topic: Nuclear Career Options in the Navy.  (Read 4517 times)

nuke12

Nuclear Career Options in the Navy.
« on: Mar 30, 2007, 01:20 »
I'm considering joining the Navy's Naval Reactors Engineer program or Nuclear Power School Instructor program.  It sounds like a good deal since they give you a paycheck during the last year of school.  I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about this.  Also, is it possible to make a career out of either of these while staying in the Navy.  Is it possible to teach at the NPS for 20 years until you retire? Can you advance in rank as quickly in these two fields as you would as a line officer?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Nuclear Career Options in the Navy.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2007, 01:30 »
There have been related threads on hear in the last couple of years. NPS instructor is not a position for 20 years; requires conversion to a career field after one tour to stay in. Perhaps NUPOC followed by a line officer commission (sub or surface) would be the fastest advancement (and decent pay through college).
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

nuke12

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2007, 09:50 »
Thanks for the info about NPS instructors.  Does the same apply to Naval Reactors Engineers (i.e. can you make a career out of that in the Navy and what's the advancement like?).  I'd consider being a line officer, but my wife isn't crazy about me being away from home for so long.  Can you put me in touch with any NPS instructors or Naval Reactor Engineers?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2007, 08:56 »
my wife isn't crazy about me being away from home for so long

That is the obstacle to the 20 years. Do the instructor thing if you want to see if you like it. But know that you WILL be haze grey and underway (or no slack on a fast attack if you go subs) afterwards to stay in.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2007, 05:56 »
Does the same apply to Naval Reactors Engineers (i.e. can you make a career out of that in the Navy and what's the advancement like?).

My former Heat Transfer instructor left from a teaching position at NPS a couple of weeks ago to take a job at NR. I actually asked her about the same scenario you bring up, and the answer she gave was "no, but...". Youll be able to advance to Lt. (O-3) as a Direct Input officer, but you wouldnt advance higher than that without a sea tour. That being said, (here's the 'but') she is being allowed to stay on as a civillian after no longer being an officer.

You can take that for all its worth, for its all secondhand information from someone asking someone else about something that they themself hadnt even done yet...

CharlieRock

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2007, 07:41 »
You can promote past LT (0-3) at NR on active duty; however, the number of slots allocated for active duty officers permanently assigned to NR is limited (LDO's being counted in a different pot).  There is at least one section head at NR that is an 0-6 (CAPT) and one who just retired was an 0-6 (CAPT). 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?