Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke School honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke School  (Read 7787 times)

Draonc

Nuke School
« on: Apr 01, 2007, 11:27 »
I am from a small town and I am afraid that when I get to Nuke School I will have trouble making it through and I want to go ahaed and start studing up on some things what are the classes like at Nuke school and what should I study.

any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.  If you want to e-mail me you can at Draonc02@aol.com.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Nuke School
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2007, 08:00 »
Be prepared to be soundly thrashed by some people ('BZ' comes to mind for some reason) for not doing your research. This site has a very convenient 'search' feature. If you type in a few keywords (maybe 'Nuke School' would work) you will be virtually swamped by posts to read that flog the subject to death.

Welcome to Nukeworker.com and thanks for you future service to this great country.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Rad Sponge

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2007, 09:04 »
1. Thank you for your comittment to service.
2. RD is correct
3. Search
4. For specific questions, please post or PM the moderators
5. Welcome to nukeworker.

Draonc

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2007, 02:30 »
I did search but i did not find what i was looking for i need to know what is going to be in the curriculum at nuke school so i can go ahead and start studying.

Samabby

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:10 »
Try to relax a little. There is nothing to study right now. The Navy will teach you how to study their way once you arrive @ Goose Creek. Thanks for volunteering.  8)

Rad Sponge

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:28 »
Self Test:

1. Can you speak and write correct English?
2. Can you perform arithmetic and algebraic calculations?
3. Are you ambulatory?
4. Can you run?
5. Can you do push ups and crunches?
6. Can you move your index and middle finger in a polishing type manner?
7. Can you remember what you did for the last 6 months?
8. Can you read?

If you answered yes to those questions you are ready for Navy training.

If you answered no, then you need to work on that.

If you answered yes, relax, have some fun, do some reading, work some basic math problems when you are on the toilet, but otherwise enjoy your pre-Navy time.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:30 »
Actually there are probably a dozen threads that discuss the topics covered at NPS and how useless it is to pre study. I'm positive had you been more diligent in your search you would have found them. The Navy will teach you what you need to know, what they want you to know and how they want you to learn it. Also before you even get to NPS you'll have spent at least a couple months while in boot camp where you can't study anything except what you need to get through boot camp. Studying now gives you no heads up. I would suggest learning how to use a calculator and getting proficient in it's various functions. I missed very few points in NPS and about 75% of what I missed were calculator errors due to a combination of thick fingers, lack of proficiency as the first time I ever saw a calculator was at NPS, and ultimately to not paying attention to fine detail, the first two are excuses, the last the root cause.

I came from a small town, maybe about 4300 people at the time I graduated HS. My graduating class was 121. It doesn't make a difference where you come from, the only person or environmental element that determines your ability to pass NPS is your willingess to work hard, pay attention to detail, and help and receive help from your shipmates.

Mike
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2007, 03:31 by Broadzilla »

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:36 »
Self Test:

1. Can you speak and write correct English?
2. Can you perform arithmetic and algebraic calculations?
3. Are you ambulatory?
4. Can you run?
5. Can you do push ups and crunches?
6. Can you move your index and middle finger in a polishing type manner?
7. Can you remember what you did for the last 6 months?
8. Can you read?

If you answered yes to those questions you are ready for Navy training.

If you answered no, then you need to work on that.

If you answered yes, relax, have some fun, do some reading, work some basic math problems when you are on the toilet, but otherwise enjoy your pre-Navy time.

#6 is probably the most used skillset in the Navy. #7 and 8 aren't applicable in some cases :)

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:37 »
What are the classes like:

Well that depends subjectively on your training pipeline (officer, mechanical, electrical, electronics)

But otherwise the general jist is this:

1. Memorize what they tell you to learn. Just memorize tricky phrases and definitions. You will understand as it all comes together later on in your pipeline.
2. Classes start at 0730 and break for 10 minutes every 50 minutes give or take. 5-6 classes a day, plus lunch, plus study period, plus after class mandatory study time. Your official class day ends around 1530 give or take.
3. Homework every night, study sessions, night time instructors available, etc.
4. Curriculums of all flavor proceed like this:

Basic Overview
Key definitions
Theory/System drawings
Specific Applications in the fleet
Casualties and Troubleshooting

This builds up over a course, not one day. You start small and then build up for weeks, then put it all together, then take a final. You'll have little exams throughout, then a comprehensive one. Each exam builds on the previous. What was covered in Week 1 is testable in Week 24 and so forth.

There is no way to prepare for Navy training other than the basics I listed before.

I could send all sorts of links and details but it would basically screw you up, be unfair to you, unfair to your instructors, and there you go. Procedures change, systems change, processes change, definitions, etc.

Just chill, but its good you are motivated.

Keep that skill.

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:41 »
IIRC some of the stuff you took in the first half isn't tested on during the comp per se. For instance there aren't specific tests on Math and HTFF though by default they are tested in other more applied areas like Mechanical Theory and the like.

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2007, 05:12 »
IIRC some of the stuff you took in the first half isn't tested on during the comp per se. For instance there aren't specific tests on Math and HTFF though by default they are tested in other more applied areas like Mechanical Theory and the like.

Mike

That's right, I forgot that.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?