Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Quick question about Navy Nukes

Author Topic: Quick question about Navy Nukes  (Read 19418 times)

crazysean

Quick question about Navy Nukes
« on: Jun 11, 2007, 05:56 »
Hey all,

Ive recently passed all the tests needed to become a Nuke for the USN. The only thing I am waiting for is my security clearance. My question is how strict are they about traffic tickets (all mine have been minor and are all paid off) and things like that? How about my credit history? When i was younger I was late on payments a few times. Maybe im being paranoid but i really want to do this and havent heard a yes or no yet from them (its been about 2 weeks since MEPs)

thanks for the help, feel free to add in any of word of wisdom  :)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Quick question about Navy Nukes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2007, 09:00 »
But, seriously folks...

Fear not for minor traffic violations, they are excluded from consideration. Serious offenses, such as DUI or any Felony charges are problems. Credit problems are only an issue if they are current and severe (i.e. make you a target for someone bribing or buying information or nefarious aid from you.) If they excluded everyone that had a speeding ticket or had been late on payments there would be a lot of empty boats.

Now for the (oft repeated in these pages) words of wisdom: Be honest, work hard, never pass up an opportunity to learn, qualify for just about everything you can and save some of your money. Oh... and keep your head down.

Thank you for your service, and welcome to Nukeworker.com. And thank you for the opportunity to use the word 'nefarious' in print.  ::)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2007, 10:58 »
I really doubt that they are waiting on your security clearance. That process doesn't even start until bootcamp into A school. You don't have to have a "clearance" to go to bootcamp, and you don't get a real "clearance" until after the pipeline and you get to your boat. Maybe you have some waivers or something you are waiting on, but its not the clearance. And don't sweat the clearance. Sure, you may not get the clearance needed to be on the Jimmy Carter, but you won't have a problem as long as you are honest and current on your bills. A late payment here and there is nothing and speeding tickets are certainly not a problem. But, if there is something you aren't telling us about that is holding you up or worrying you, and you didn't tell "them," then you have problems. Goodluck.

Justin

navytwinmom

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2007, 01:43 »
Just a FYI. Security Clearane was done before boot camp with my guys. If you have not heard a yes or no and it has been a week since MEPs call your recruiter....all my sons waivers were in the same day and they were sworn in that day. Something might be going on or they just lost some paperwork.

Take care

D

Sirveri

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2007, 03:29 »
Hey all,

Ive recently passed all the tests needed to become a Nuke for the USN. The only thing I am waiting for is my security clearance. My question is how strict are they about traffic tickets (all mine have been minor and are all paid off) and things like that? How about my credit history? When i was younger I was late on payments a few times. Maybe im being paranoid but i really want to do this and havent heard a yes or no yet from them (its been about 2 weeks since MEPs)

thanks for the help, feel free to add in any of word of wisdom  :)

My security clearance for NPS came in the middle of A school. I had some minor traffic violations and minor credit issues as well. Wasn't an issue. Our first class leader (who did not stay class leader for long) had his clearance before he got to A school. He later ended up going UA in Georgia, so when they called the FBI to track him down they discovered that he had undeclared felonies, and multiple arrest warrants that were out and current. My other class leader (the competant one we kept) had spent many years as a missionary and spent time in Brazil and other things like that. He ended up getting cleared after two months of T-track. One of the guys on my boat admitted to smoking pot and I don't remember what else, he got his clearance, and later ended up with a secret clearance for submarines. One of my best freinds in power school who was my personal 'project' to push through the pipeline had waivers for jail time, assault, GED, drug usage, and my favorite was his too many waivers waiver. He's on the OKC right now on deployment.

Don't worry about your security clearance. Time on T-Track is a pretty decent time, though it does get boring.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2007, 05:15 »
Just a FYI. Security Clearane was done before boot camp with my guys. If you have not heard a yes or no and it has been a week since MEPs call your recruiter....all my sons waivers were in the same day and they were sworn in that day. Something might be going on or they just lost some paperwork.

Take care

D

Could be that they are getting a jump on these things sooner since 9/11 and to help with the severe back log of investigations. Didn't realize they were doing them before boot. Thanks

Justin

adidas_2806

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2007, 01:51 »
Your security clearance can be worked on and done prior to you leaving for boot depending on the length of your DEP time..or later. WHen I reported to A school, about half of my class of 30 had their clearance. The majrity of them recieved it during the time at A school, and a select few did not.

Now, the thing is, in A school you dont deal with any sensitive information. You can go to the first school without a clearance, but you NEED the clearance to go to power school, as that information is listed as "confidential". The few people that have not recieved it go on to something called T-Track, an interim phase where they work guard duty on the base and stand watch on the quarterdeck, or work as the duty driver. Its not a bad deal. Once their clearance came through, they went into the next power school class.

If your clearance gets denied, then you get removed from the nuke program.(Waivers for everything, the saying goes.,, im not sure if there is or is not one for this.)

But, barring any instances where you have 7 wives, have been sending email or phone calls to Iraq, or were arrested for a felony, dont sweat it. Youll get it when some guy gets around to doing some work that day.;)

Offline slarmox2

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2007, 02:45 »
My other class leader (the competant one we kept) had spent many years as a missionary and spent time in Brazil and other things like that. He ended up getting cleared after two months of T-track.

It sounds like you knew either Fewkes or Ellsworth? I'm on the North Carolina. What command are you at?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2007, 10:46 »
try the PM feature?

crazysean

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2007, 04:15 »
thanks for all the helpful and informative responses guys, i really appreciate it :)

i met with one of the security clearance people the other day and yea, im not too worried about it anymore.

when you get offered a 20k sign on bonus, awesome training and all the the other benefits...i guess it just seems too good to be true :P

i ship out march 8th, wish me luck!!!

Sejik

« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2007, 06:28 »
It's my sinking suspicion that they "deny" people clearance for the sole purpose of keeping certain people on T-Track. Just so that T-Track has experienced watch-standers and can function with somewhat of a leadership team. Then you get people who come in without their clearance, get trained, and then suddenly all the long term T-Trackers get their clearance.

Or that could just be a coincidence.

Finalman

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2007, 08:31 »
It's my sinking suspicion that they "deny" people clearance for the sole purpose of keeping certain people on T-Track. Just so that T-Track has experienced watch-standers and can function with somewhat of a leadership team. Then you get people who come in without their clearance, get trained, and then suddenly all the long term T-Trackers get their clearance.

That happened just recently, two people that were on T-track for 18mo and one that was on for 16, and a few others that were around 7 or so... PM sent

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2007, 10:14 »

There is no conspiracy to keep people on T-track. Do you seriously believe there aren't enough screw ups to go around?

Justin

Sejik

« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2007, 01:26 »
There is no conspiracy to keep people on T-track. Do you seriously believe there aren't enough screw ups to go around?

Justin

Nothing about T-Track should have ever been taken seriously, except the few times while on watch.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2007, 03:40 »
Nothing about T-Track should have ever been taken seriously, except the few times while on watch.

I am guilty of not taking watch on T Track seriously. I was one of the last classes through orlando and we were standing quarterdeck watch on a power school building that was closed. It still had "classified" info in it so there we were on the midwatch. DSN phone with DSN phone directory. DSN phone connects to RTC Great Lakes which interestingly enough, will put you through to recruit divisions. Much fun ensued.  :P

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2007, 02:36 »
I have recent, similar experience with this.

going into the boot camp, my credit score was in the 400's. I also had a civil infraction that I never paid off until just before I joined. I had poor grades, and 19 medical waivers.

The only people that I know that are held on T-Track for a long time, are the ones that commited a crime in recent times, are not originally from this country, or people who have had their records lost.

I recieved my security clearance (I WAS on DEP for 13 months though), and spent 2 months on T track. I doubt highly they keep people on t track for those reasons.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2007, 01:34 »
I have recent, similar experience with this.

going into the boot camp, my credit score was in the 400's. I also had a civil infraction that I never paid off until just before I joined. I had poor grades, and 19 medical waivers.

The only people that I know that are held on T-Track for a long time, are the ones that commited a crime in recent times, are not originally from this country, or people who have had their records lost.

I recieved my security clearance (I WAS on DEP for 13 months though), and spent 2 months on T track. I doubt highly they keep people on t track for those reasons.

Holy crap. No offense, but what has happened to our standards?

Justin

Sejik

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:32 »
I am guilty of not taking watch on T Track seriously. I was one of the last classes through orlando and we were standing quarterdeck watch on a power school building that was closed. It still had "classified" info in it so there we were on the midwatch. DSN phone with DSN phone directory. DSN phone connects to RTC Great Lakes which interestingly enough, will put you through to recruit divisions. Much fun ensued.  :P

Justin

Oh, geeze. I can only imagine what would happen with a bunch of bored nukes around midnight with access to recruits. =P

Sejik

« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:32 »
Holy crap. No offense, but what has happened to our standards?

Justin

Remember, Naval Nuclear Power Program is not a filter, it's a pump.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2007, 07:56 »
NFAS is the filter...I mean not the filter, but the NPS attrition rate is going up, so...

Anyway, my dad was from Central America (a communist country) and since I was from Fort Lauderdale, I was handed the requisite "You tried it once at a party, but you coughed and choked up phlegm and never touched it again" waiver that I refused to sign.  My security clearance took 5 months, which I spent DEP-by my choice to get San Diego Boot Camp--and then obviously 2 months in Boot Camp.  They were actually surprised that all the interviews didn't find one person to vouch for my being a long-haired Grape Nehi drinking rope smokin' doper.  I had to actually sign papers that certified I was offered the waiver--a little CYA on the recruiter's part.

I believe it takes the amount of time to get the clearance based on the revelations or lack thereof. 
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?