Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is the nuke field right for me?  

Author Topic: Is the nuke field right for me?  (Read 19734 times)

Boosteeohs

Is the nuke field right for me?
« on: Jun 26, 2007, 03:40 »
I don't think anyone can really answer that question, but any and all feedback is appreciated. First off, I know that I'm a pretty smart dude, not genius smart, not 1500+ on the SATs smart, but smarter then the average person my age(17). In high school, I did well on just about every test I took and most subjects came pretty easy to me, but I had terrible study habits, I didn't do a whole lot of homework, and I wasn't real motivated. My overall GPA was just below 3.0 and it easily could've been higher if I put a little more effort into it. So, I just took the ASVAB today, and I got a 91 (I haven't seen my complete scores yet). My recruiters have been urging me to go in the nuclear field, which I really liked the idea of at first.(why wouldn't I with all the automatic advancement and money). Though after looking in to it, I don't know if it's for me, and a few things concern me. First, my bad habits from high school might hurt me in nuke school. Secondly, my math skills are pretty solid, but I don't know if they are good enough for the nuke field.(by the way, how intensive is the math in nuke school) Also, I feel like I would get burnt out from all that studying and everything. Anyways, my goal in enlisting in the Navy, was find a job that challenged me, had quick advancement, would give me at least some decent oppurtunties and experience for a job outside the Navy, and also would be fulfilling and something I enjoyed. The nuke field covers almost all of that. But, I don't know if I'm right for it. The other job I considered was being a Fire Controlman(don't know if you guys would know anything about it). It's one of the more challenging jobs in the Navy, it also has quick advancement, not too sure about job oppurtunities after the navy, and it's in a field that I am interested in and could see myself working in. Though, it's definitely not like going nuke, which is where I feel I should be, but I don't know if I'm up to it. And that's what I'm trying to figure out, am I up to it? If anyone can help me on this I would greatly appreciate your feedback, thanks. 
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007, 03:42 by Boosteeohs »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Is the nuke field right for me?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2007, 10:06 »
First off, welcome to Nukeworker!  You will definitely get the answers you're seeking here and the suggestion you'll hear most often is to do your research.  As to your study skills not being the best, I can identify there.  I went from a 3.5 graduating high school to a .7 in my first (and only) semester of college.  The study habits can be learned but it will require work.  The challenge required may be just the thing you need truthfully to reach your full potential. 

You're in the right forum to learn all you need to make an informed decision.  As a matter of fact, a little searching can get your general questions answered and if you have any specific ones the helpful and experienced people here will steer you in the right direction.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

kevndale

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2007, 10:07 »
First thing if you qualify for the nuke field in terms of the ASVAB and the nuke test then you can handle the math. Second almost all nukes go into the nuke field with bad study habits it wasnt until nuke school that i really learned how to study and learn a rapid amount of things in a short time. Keep in mind everything they do is with the aim of getting you through the program so yes the math is hard but there are almost always instructors there to help you after hours and they teach you great methods of working out problems.

My advice is that if you qualify for the field and desire to work in the nuclear field then do it. If you have been skating your high school career like most enlisted nukes did then maybe the nuke field will be the kick in the butt you need to see your potential. It is a challenge but in the long run the training you receive is invaluable. Whatever you choose, choose the thing you WANT to do and don't let fears get in the way. Brings to mind the old quote "If it was easy everyone would do it".

kevn

Boosteeohs

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2007, 05:54 »
What nuke test are you referring to? Is that the NAPT? MY recruiter just called me today and said I qualified out right, so I'm assuming I won't have to take it.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2007, 06:25 »
Only you can truly answer that question. The math is not very difficult barely qualifies as advanced algebra in my book. The other stuff is hard and you will have to study. However I was like you I skated by in HS failed most of my daily work but aced every test. So I was a C and D student who hadn’t learned how to work for something. I realize now that no mater how hard and how much I hated the job it was worth it. You may even have an easy time with power school (second phase of training) I studied very little and was on “vols” (voluntary study hours) the only real hrs I put in where to help  a friend of mine study so he would pass the tests. Prototype was hard for me I was not an outgoing person who could just walk up to the staff and ask for a checkout plus I felt I had to know everything for those checkouts and that “lookups” were a failure on my part. So I took too long to qualify and in pervious generations of nuke power would not have graduated. This is a hard challenging life mentally, physically and emotinaly. It is very stressful and worse it is designed to be that way. The hardships don’t end after school they just change, then again that’s just life.

Boosteeohs

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2007, 07:11 »
Another thing that concerns me, I never took Chem or Physics in High school. I had chem but I dropped the class. Do they start over on a lot of the basic stuff, or do they already expect you to know some physics and chemistry? I know some, but not much.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2007, 07:34 »
They'll teach you what you need to know.

Mike

Boosteeohs

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:12 »
I have a few more questions about nuke school. First, how is Charleston? Is there much to do there? Are classes all one after another, or are they at different times in the day. How long (on average) out of the day are you actually in class? How much freetime do you get? How long are the breaks between A school, power and prototype? You don't have to answer all of them but these are just some of the things I was wondering. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2007, 05:18 »
what did you find on your use of the search feature here on nubworker.com?

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:14 »
I have a few more questions about nuke school. First, how is Charleston? Is there much to do there? Are classes all one after another, or are they at different times in the day. How long (on average) out of the day are you actually in class? How much freetime do you get? How long are the breaks between A school, power and prototype? You don't have to answer all of them but these are just some of the things I was wondering. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Umm, free time? You are going to commit 6 years of your life to Military service and you are worried about breaks between classes? It's not like your freshman year of college. You will be in the Military!
To only be concerned about the NNPS part is short sighted.
You will be US government property for the duration of your enlistment; any “free time” is at the discretion of your Chain of Command.
You didn’t ask about free time during deployments, or while in the Shipyards or during ORSE workups or INSERV or on duty days etc.
Sorry if this post sounds so negative.
I will say that my time in the Navy was some of the most challenging, but also the most rewarding.
I hope you have looked at the BIG picture and will make a sound decision based on the available information, after all those are the kind of people we need in the Nuclear Power World.

Boosteeohs

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2007, 03:48 »
After I had posted that, I started to realize(after reading other topics in this forum, and talking to a nuke who went through it) that if I was going to go through with this, having fun should be the last thing on my mind, so I kinda expected that response. After really thinking about it, I decided that I'm going in the NF. I know I'll have to work my ass off, which I haven't really done my whole life, but I know this will be really good for me, and I'm actually looking forward to the work. My entire life, I always shyed away from the challenges, and I was smart enough to get by without putting a lot of effort into anything, but you reap what you sow, and I'll only get out of life what I put into it. Anyways, enough lecturing myself, heh. I still have to pass my physical on friday, but if all goes well, it looks like I'll be leaving for boot camp in february and then on to nuke school. I can honestly say that if I didn't find this site, I would most likely become a fire controlman or some other rate. It really helped me to read other topics from people that have gone through it, and know I now what to expect(for the most part). Anyways, I'll be hanging around here for a while with questions and stuff. Thanks for the responses.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2007, 04:56 »
You can have fun you know.  Just make sure you take care of business first.  I made sure almost every minute I was in school was devoted to actually learning the stuff so I when I was off "campus" I could go have a good time.  If you put most of your study time in during the week, learn instead of memorize, start off strong (do extra at first until you are comfortable with your grades), make the minutes at school count, aren't a test-taking panic-person, and get good enough grades to stay off of high mando-hours, you should have plenty of time to get crazy. And according to evidence from many psychological studies getting out of there and getting your mind off of it for a while should make you do even better.  Try to space your study hours in a way that works for you. There are many good ways to do it and many bad ways. Good luck.

Boosteeohs

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2007, 05:12 »
Thanks for the advice, I need all I can get. I'm sure I'll have fun there, but I just want to be sure that school is number one priority at all times.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2007, 05:20 »
If you search terms related to nuclear power pipeline on this forum, there is alot more info about the pipeline; I'm fairly sure you are aware of this but just checking!

Samabby

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2007, 06:35 »
Boo,

You sound very much like my son three years ago. Now he serves proudly on a Boat. Don't sweat the process so much. The Navy will feed you what you need to know to get through the pipeline. Good luck, son.  8)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2007, 08:28 »
My final though on this topic is

Do something in the Navy you will like.

Had the internet been availible to research what various ratings in the navy do I never would have considered the nuclear feild.

The money, the advancment, and the education will not out weigh a job you hate every day you go to work.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007, 08:29 by 93-383 »

alphacookie

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2007, 10:57 »
My final though on this topic is

Do something in the Navy you will like.

Had the internet been availible to research what various ratings in the navy do I never would have considered the nuclear feild.

The money, the advancment, and the education will not out weigh a job you hate every day you go to work.

Could not agree more. 

However, I probably would have still chosen to be a nuke after researching it on the internet.  That's me though.

There is a reason, though, that the Navy trumpets rapid advancement, huge bonuses, and etc.  The job is very very demanding(a.k.a. can suck at times....a lot).  Do you want to work in a field where you are doing some kind of maintenance evolution and someone watches your every move and someone else is watching that person and someone else is watching that person and so on?  I am serious.  I have been involved in jobs where there are 6 people watching one poor guy remove a valve cap.

Do you like taking exams?  You better, because you will take an essay type exam every month if not more frequently.

Do you think it is dumb to use a procedure just to flip a light switch?  If so, then the nuke field is not right for you.

I am not trying to discourage you.  I love this field.  But....do your research.  Talk to someone who has been serving as a Navy nuke for a while.  Don't talk to friends or other students who are still in the training pipeline.  They don't know crap.

If you do decide to go Navy nuke, then good luck.  Study hard, work hard, milk the Navy for all it's worth and then run like hell to the welcoming arms of the civilian world.

The only thing I regret about my Navy nuke time, is that I stayed in as long as I did.  Now, I am way behind those who got out eleven years ago as I should have.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007, 10:59 by alphacookie »

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Jun 29, 2007, 12:44 »
I think this field is funner then heck. To me it's like I'm 16 years old and my father gave me the keys to his 2 billion dollar Lincoln.

Mike

Boosteeohs

« Reply #18 on: Jun 30, 2007, 04:36 »
It's official. I went through Meps yesterday and took the oath and I'll be leaving February 12 for Great Lakes, and then on to Charleston. I'm pretty excited about it. Wish me luck!

alphacookie

« Reply #19 on: Jun 30, 2007, 08:15 »
It's official. I went through Meps yesterday and took the oath and I'll be leaving February 12 for Great Lakes, and then on to Charleston. I'm pretty excited about it. Wish me luck!

Why so long before you ship out?  Great lakes in Feb is very, very cold.  If you could ship out late summer(i.e. now if not sooner) and finish boot camp in the early fall, that would be ideal.  Your recruiter should be able to help.  My recruiter helped me ship out early.  He even greased the skids with my high school to get me to graduate a month early.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2007, 11:33 by alphacookie »

Clerisy

« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2007, 01:24 »
Why so long before you ship out?  Great lakes in Feb is very, very cold.  If you could ship out late summer(i.e. now if not sooner) and finish boot camp in the early fall, that would be ideal.  Your recruiter should be able to help.  My recruiter helped me ship out early.  He even greased the skids with my high school to get me to graduate a month early.

I'm guessing you didn't wait too long by the tone of your post.  Either the classes are getting smaller, or there are more and more nukes.  I signed up in March and am not scheduled to leave until mid-November.  I asked to leave earlier, but that's the earliest they had.  I've got papers in to get a spot if it opens up, but thus far, no dice.

Boosteeohs

« Reply #21 on: Jul 01, 2007, 03:09 »
February was the earliest I could go. Well, actually January was, but I get $2,000 more for my enlistment bonus if I go in February. They said they might be able to slip me in earlier if I wanted but I don't just because I would rather wait until after the holidays so I can get a chance to see my family during Thanksgiving and Christmas before I leave for the Navy, so February works fine for me.

alphacookie

« Reply #22 on: Jul 01, 2007, 09:16 »
I'm guessing you didn't wait too long by the tone of your post.  Either the classes are getting smaller, or there are more and more nukes.  I signed up in March and am not scheduled to leave until mid-November.  I asked to leave earlier, but that's the earliest they had.  I've got papers in to get a spot if it opens up, but thus far, no dice.

You would have "guessed" wrong.  I was originally slated to wait 10 months.  I had to finish this thing called high school.

One day, prior to our monthly DEP meeting, I said to the recruiter that he had to get me out of here because I could no longer stand the boredom of small town life.  He picked up the phone and arranged for me to ship out the next week.  The next phone call was to my school, where he arranged to have my finals given to me early and he also arranged for the school to get me my diploma early.  He did all of this in a matter of 15 minutes.

I waited a total of 8 out of the 10 months.

Yes, I know the Navy met FY07 recruiting goals and they "may" be busy.  But, if you truly want to leave early, you can.  Just keep begging the recruiter.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2007, 09:30 by alphacookie »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?