News and Discussions > History & Trivia
Hope Creek Containment Building
(1/4) > >>
wlrun3@aol.com:

The Hope Creek (1986 1100 MW BWR 4 Mark 1 Ctmt) reactor containment building looks like a PWR containment.

Why? Is it unique?

tr:
Depends on how you mean "unique".  The BWR 6 Mark III containments also look like PWR containments.
RDTroja:
Big Rock Point (don't know the model but it was AEC license #3, I think) had a spherical containment and it was a BWR (well, sort of... the boiling took place in a steam drum.) Clinton has a containment dome and is a boiler. So unique? No. Different, yes.

When Hope Creek was being built it, like many other single unit plants, was going to be two units. When they cancelled unit 2, they upgraded unit 1 to the next larger model reactor BUT THE DRYWELL WAS ALREADY BUILT! So they crammed a reactor and supporting systems into a drywell that was not designed to hold it. That is why there is no space inside. There are literally places a normal sized human being cannot get to in there. Very strange.

I did their first refueling outage and never went back. But I don't remembr it looking like a PWR from the outside.
Already Gone:
The Rx Bldgs at Hope Creek have two parts - actually only unit 1 has both parts.  The square Rx bldg is outside a round building which extends above the roof of the square one.  It does resemble a PWR from outside.  The refuel floor even has a polar crane.
RDTroja:
The memory is the second thing to go and I can't remember what was first. Then again, the vast majority of the time I was at Salem, Hope Creek was just a drawing, not even a hole in the ground yet. I spent most of the outage at Hope Creek issuing instruments, keys, and respirators and covering waste solidification... long funny story.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version