Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu BWR steam contamination, and exposure data. honeypot

Author Topic: BWR steam contamination, and exposure data.  (Read 10778 times)

guiazevedo100

BWR steam contamination, and exposure data.
« on: Aug 20, 2007, 11:06 »
Hi, I'm still a student and I'm doing an internship on the nuclear field. I've found this site really cool and I was wondering if anyone here could help me with a couple of questions:

1. What are the main contamination particles in the steam that goes to the turbine, when in a BWR cycle? If you know some docs where I can find that information it would be great!
 2. How many people work in average in an outage for a BWR?
 3. The maximun regulation dose for exposure of a worker, is 100mSv in 5 years. Could anyone tell me how much is the average effective dose contamination in practice?

Thanks! Hope someone can help me with my report !  ::)

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: BWR steam contamination, and exposure data.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2007, 11:12 »
average effective dose contamination in practice?

Welcome to NukeWorker.  ;D

Many of your questions can be found by using the search function on the site, as I'm sure many of these things have been covered.

Not sure what your asking for with the quoted question, do you mean what is the average dose received by a worker?
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

guiazevedo100

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2007, 11:21 »
    I wanted to know if in reality, the average radiation exposure of workers is around 20mSv (like the regulation allows), or if it is lower than that. Hope to have been more clear this time. And as for the search, I'll keep looking for my answers with it!  :)

illegalsmile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2007, 11:44 »
What regulation are you referring to?
RE: average dose, that varies widely based on where in the plant the worker is assigned. Likewise, the contaminants in the turbine varie with a number of factors, probably the most important variable being the history of fuel leakage.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2007, 01:41 »
3. The maximun regulation dose for exposure of a worker, is 100mSv in 5 years. Could anyone tell me how much is the average effective dose contamination in practice?

Not sure where you got that number, but the regulatory limit for exposure (combined external and internal) is 50 mSv/year (5 REM) but nobody gets anywhere near that (anymore.) The average used of about 200 mRem/yr (2 mSv) is a little bit of a statistical trick because it includes a lot of people that get virtually no exposure but have a TLD badge and are therefore included in the 'average.' And by average do you want the 'mean,' the 'median' or the 'mode?' Do you include all badged personnel or only those that receive 'some' exposure? Is there a lower limit cut off? What is it?

Very nebulous question, grasshopper.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2007, 03:52 »
I'm not 100% sure. I know when the turbine was disassembled we had to dress out to be on the platform but I;m not aware what the Contamination levels really were. I can tell you I had been doused with Condensate a few times when I was at Fermi and I never got crapped up.

So far as Dose the average Operator there got less than the Average Operator at Sequoyah gets. In a Non Outage year it was extremely low. I was a Non Licensed Operator there for two outages and Approximately 2 and a half years and my total dose was around 800 mr.

At the time we did High Rad Rounds every month and area like the Feed Pumps and Condensate Bay were accessible so we probably picked up more dose doing rounds then. After HWC started many areas we used to physically inspect were changed to looking into a camera.

Mike

rlbinc

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2007, 05:35 »
The largest contributor to steam line radiation at a BWR is N-16. This is a neutron activation product and is extremely short lived. We limit access to Steam Tunnels, Turbines, and Feedwater Heaters to minimize exposure from this nuclide. Once we shutdown, N-16 decays away in a minute or so.

If a plant has cladding pinhole leaks, you'll see some Noble Gas activity in the steam lines. Kr-88, and Xe-133 are the big guys here. The fuel reliability engineers can use short lived / long lived Noble Gas activity ratios to determine the size of a cladding defect. These Noble Gases end up decaying away in Charcoal Adsorbers located in the Off Gas System.

Most BWRs are pretty clean plants, the indicator to look at is Reactor Coolant Dose Equivalent Iodine activity. Many plants are near zero, the ones that are not have - or have had- fuel cladding defects.

Hope that helped.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2007, 11:49 »
Contamination levels on BWR steam side components are low. I saw in the 2000 dpm per 100 cm2 range at an outage at Browns Ferry. Secondary rad levels were almost uniformly <1 mrem / hour shortly after shutdown. Only a couple of spots had higher than that.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Melrose

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:47 »
The largest contributor to steam line radiation at a BWR is N-16. This is a neutron activation product and is extremely short lived. We limit access to Steam Tunnels, Turbines, and Feedwater Heaters to minimize exposure from this nuclide. Once we shutdown, N-16 decays away in a minute or so.

If a plant has cladding pinhole leaks, you'll see some Noble Gas activity in the steam lines. Kr-88, and Xe-133 are the big guys here. The fuel reliability engineers can use short lived / long lived Noble Gas activity ratios to determine the size of a cladding defect. These Noble Gases end up decaying away in Charcoal Adsorbers located in the Off Gas System.

Most BWRs are pretty clean plants, the indicator to look at is Reactor Coolant Dose Equivalent Iodine activity. Many plants are near zero, the ones that are not have - or have had- fuel cladding defects.

Hope that helped.

YOu touch on a subject I'm researching... effects throughout the plant due to fuel failure.  Can you PM me with specifics, history, notes, data, etc?

thanks

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?