Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Q Clearance Worries – I was stupid when I was younger  

Author Topic: Q Clearance Worries – I was stupid when I was younger  (Read 18454 times)

Paul22

So it looks as if I may be putting in the paperwork for a Q clearance soon. For the last 5 years I have kept myself clean and have been working very hard. Before that however I did some stupid stuff. Right now Im wondering if it is even worth the time and trouble to fill out the paperwork. Since this forum is (relatively) anonymous, Ill just be frank about it and see what you think since there are three things I feel pretty pessimistic about.

1 - I used to smoke weed on and off 5+ years ago and experimented a couple times with MDMA and cocaine about 6-7 years ago.

2 - I have about 5k in child support arrears (which I have been working on paying off for some time now). When they go to interview the ex, I have a feeling Im not really her favorite person if you know what I mean.

3 - fourteen years ago I got a misdemeanor conviction (trespassing) which was sealed via Y.O. status.

So for those of you who have been there and done that – is it even worth my time filling out the paperwork? Or should I probably be ok as long as I am 100% honest about everything?

Also, before 5 years ago, I moved around a lot (4-5 different places), and I do not remember the dates I was there, nor do I have any idea on how to get in touch with some of the people I knew back when I lived there. What do you do in that situation?

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
Re: Q Clearance Worries – I was stupid when I was younger
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2007, 09:10 »
There are previous posts on here about Q clearances, You can check archives, But the jest of these and I have had a Q clearance, is be completely honest especially if you have been clean for awhile.  Even tell them about your sealed Juvenile stuff. Tell everything.  I think you will be Ok even if Ex wife is called. 

Paul22

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2007, 09:38 »
hmm ok, thanks. I looked through the previous posts, but they mostly seemed to have to do with one issue, and I have multiple so I am concerned. I guess if it dosent work out, Im pretty much in the same spot I am now anyways...

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2007, 10:14 »
paul22.... watts the worse that can happen?  they say no?  will you be any worse?  that's what i'd say is the primary concern for you.  now, if you don't get a q clearance and stand a chance to lose your present employment, then it may be worth really thinking about.  butt, if current employment is a stand alone item, then i'd go for the q.   
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2007, 09:28 »
So it looks as if I may be putting in the paperwork for a Q clearance soon. For the last 5 years I have kept myself clean and have been working very hard. Before that however I did some stupid stuff. Right now Im wondering if it is even worth the time and trouble to fill out the paperwork. Since this forum is (relatively) anonymous, Ill just be frank about it and see what you think since there are three things I feel pretty pessimistic about.

1 - I used to smoke weed on and off 5+ years ago and experimented a couple times with MDMA and cocaine about 6-7 years ago.

2 - I have about 5k in child support arrears (which I have been working on paying off for some time now). When they go to interview the ex, I have a feeling Im not really her favorite person if you know what I mean.

3 - fourteen years ago I got a misdemeanor conviction (trespassing) which was sealed via Y.O. status.

So for those of you who have been there and done that – is it even worth my time filling out the paperwork? Or should I probably be ok as long as I am 100% honest about everything?

Also, before 5 years ago, I moved around a lot (4-5 different places), and I do not remember the dates I was there, nor do I have any idea on how to get in touch with some of the people I knew back when I lived there. What do you do in that situation?

Ditto the honesty part. If you have the opportunity to start a Q with an employer do so, with the increase in work load on visas and passports the length of time to complete a Q is increasing as though it did not take forever as is.

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2007, 11:01 »
They have seen everything when it comes to the stupidity of youth......... I was probably one of your stupider youths and I have had Q clearances. Just be honest and be prepared for the "final interview". After they have completed the investigation, they will want to talk with you to "resolve" any questions that come up. This is your chance to impress them with how far you have come as a responsible human being...... Don't bash the ex, if they ask about her comments just state that you do not currently get along with her and leave that topic behind. If they ask about your "sealed" priors, explain that you were young and foolish and have learned better. If they ask about your substance abuse, be prepared to show evidence that you have been clean since. I got many different clearances with at least as shaky a background as you have. It is all about your attitude!!!! If you show them that you are willing to go the extra mile (or even inch) to help put aside their concerns, they will work with you..... 8)  Good luck, Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

alphadude

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2007, 01:08 »
the child care situation may have serious implications for the clearance. in some states you may be considered for arrest. they pull your credit rating and if you are below 600 it may be a while before you get interviewed  or go for the fast track which is 3 days and then u will know.

Paul22

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2007, 06:31 »
I appreciate all the replies, thank you!

alphadude - considered for arrest? How so, I have spoken with the office at the state, and I am making good on my word to pay the monthly amount plus some for arrears, Ive cut it in half from almost 10k. It shows up on my credit reports (just pulled them about 20 min ago), but its the only financial negative on there. While it is overdue I am paying it down slowly but surely. What is meant by "fast track"?

Offline wp_913

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2007, 09:35 »
Helloo all,

been lurking about here for while, All this conversation about clearances suggested that I send you all this very interesting link, actual cases about DOD clearances being either denied or allowed, Check it out, all interesting reading, also, the DOE cases are not much different, same logic applies, good stuff to know and be aware of. this also pretty much confirms what everyone is telling you, honesty, redemption and proving you are improving your situation goes a long way.

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2007, 02:23 »
Helloo all,

been lurking about here for while, All this conversation about clearances suggested that I send you all this very interesting link, actual cases about DOD clearances being either denied or allowed, Check it out, all interesting reading, also, the DOE cases are not much different, same logic applies, good stuff to know and be aware of. this also pretty much confirms what everyone is telling you, honesty, redemption and proving you are improving your situation goes a long way.

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

Very helpful to many here - Karma to ya for sharing... ;D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2007, 08:35 »
Hey just my 2 cents here, I got a clearence with not the best (cough, cough) credit, was arrested for shootin a government sign while hunting, owed a little child support (making payments at the time), and had about 400 different jobs.  If they will give me one, and remember I was totally honest about all of it, then they will give anyone a clearance.  BE HONEST!!!!  When they ask what you are doing to clear the child support up dont do like I did and jokingly say, "Um yah about that, would having your ex disappear for no good reason seem suspicious to yall?", for some reason they didnt see the humor in that statement.  Still got my clearance though.   8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?