Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I Need Help... School Study Habits

Author Topic: I Need Help... School Study Habits  (Read 5068 times)

jt52510

I Need Help... School Study Habits
« on: Sep 15, 2007, 01:43 »
i need some good advice right now guys. i didnt do so well in A-School (2.67) and my first test in powerschool got a 3.61. I was pretty happy. but after that, i've been going on this downhill ride in power school. its right after MTMO-2 and i have a 2.61. The only 2nd half subject i passed was RP-1. ive been putting in the hours and ive tried every study method possible. I'm passing overall but it won't even matter on COMP. im freaking out about COMP which is in 2 months. i dont know what to do anymore. i dont want to fail out. i know that COMP was gonna be on the 2nd half subjects and I havent been doing well on that. I'm lost now. I need some advice.. :-[

Marvin

Re: i need help..
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2007, 02:58 »
Reduce your stress levels through diet and exercise.  Stress interferes with clear thinking.  Take intentional breaks from studying.  Walk around the block and think healthy thoughts while you walk.

For the next two months, eject interferences.  Things such as alcohol, TV, internet, gaming, dating, long phone calls, bad people, fast cars, etc.  You'll know what these things are for you when you read this.  You'll have plenty of time for that stuff down the road.

Listen in class.  Stop taking notes when you should be listening.  Listen in class.  Stop daydreaming when you should be listening.  Learn the cues.  When the instructor emphasizes key points, don't miss it.  Listen, listen hard.  Stay focused.

Practice taking tests.  Use practice exams when and if possible that have similar structure to the nuke school exams (I don't know about these anymore, it's been a while).

Keep studying hard, but be willing to take breaks when your mind is mush.  Return to studying when your mind has had a chance to rest (a good time to exercise your body).

Take time out to review the older stuff now instead of waiting until the last minute.  Hang in there and you will probably make it.

Oh, and start praying, if you are not already.  Prototype (not sure it is still called prototype) is next and it's not a cakewalk.

Marvin
Class 8007

Rad Sponge

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2007, 03:04 »
1. Thank you for your service.
2. Thank you for your commitment
3. Thanks for caring enough to have some personal initiative in solving your problem.
4. I would suggest setting up some time with your section adviser and going over all your weak spots. Use the NDIs.
5. This next part is going to suck:

In addition to your school work, you are going to have to schedule in a daily refresher to hit your weak spots. Maintain your LOK with the stuff you understand, but really stress the glaring knowledge deficiencies.

This may mean 40s plus.

Don't forget to breathe and take some personal time everyday and especially Saturday to relax and recharge your spirit. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet, getting your vitamins and minerals, and a good 7-8 hours of sleep when at all possible. You may laugh, but when I was in Power school, my entire schedule was geared towards my school success: no drinking, girls, drama, etc.

You obviously have the desire and the intelligence to make it this far. Assess the overall lifestyle you are living, eliminate distractions that do not favor your nuclear education. Make sure your are exercising.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2007, 04:06 »
Well my man or woman. The Comp is two months away and out of your immediate control. Look back at your excellent record of accomplishment.

I have noticed a trend or phenomenon with Nuke school and actually any Nuclear training in general. For a LONG time everything is just an individual piece then it all snaps together and fits.

My advice, relax, take a breath, do no more than 40 hours a week and worry about what is immediately in front of you and not what is coming 2 months down the road.

Mike

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2007, 05:47 »
Hey dude, I suggest you go to whichever section you are having trouble with, and spending most of your time in the office with them. What classes are you having trouble with? I can suggest some people you should go hound.

That said, your final grade is pointless at this point in time. Make sure you keep your head above the water, and keep swimming. Dont get bogged down with everything, just take each day as it comes.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2007, 06:43 »
Relax.
Broadzilla is right on the money here.
Take a breath and resolve to do your best.
I also recommend group study.  It helped me to comprehend a few things that were freaking me out.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2007, 07:06 »
I also recommend group study.  It helped me to comprehend a few things that were freaking me out.

This is a case by case thing. Most of the time, at least while I was there, group study was a giant bull$#!+ session, and was very UNproductive. That said, group study CAN be very effective if used properly.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:48 »
Don't forget to breathe and take some personal time everyday and especially Saturday to relax and recharge your spirit. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet, getting your vitamins and minerals, and a good 7-8 hours of sleep when at all possible. Make sure your are exercising.

All of this is great advice.  You must recover each weekend.  BZ has good points as well.  Dont worry about the comp.  Take care of the details and the big things will come.  I struggled and had to work hard throughout school.  I changed my strategy at the halfway point and recovered from a downward spiral.  My new strategy involved better eating/excercise habits, Avoiding schools on saturdays, and good sleep habits.  My comp was the second highest exam score I obtained.

Lastly,  if you really want to be there.....and you do.  Then that desire will  show in the Academic board environment.  If it comes to an Ac board ensure your section advisor and class director clearly understand your desires.

Keep up the good work shipmate, and I will see you in the fleet.

JB

mlslstephens

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2007, 09:40 »
This probably isn't what you want to hear...but at this point that doesn't matter.  Medicine is designed to taste bad for a reason.

99.9% of the advice given thus far is right on.  Listen to these people, and heed their advice.  Broadzilla's advice on the puzzle pieces fitting together is true for every nuke.  The only difference is some people put the puzzle together before others do.

Now, for the bad tasting stuff.  Not making it in this school isn't the end of the world.  The Navy is a large organization and there are plenty of jobs in the Navy that offer great opportunities.  I know us Nukes like to think we are the only people on the planet, but we aren't.  That being said, keep trying your hardest, do the best you can do and at the end of the day be satisfied with your efforts.

Good luck and I hope to see you in two months.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2007, 09:41 by NaVLI4 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?