Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Carrier deployment schedules

Author Topic: Carrier deployment schedules  (Read 11302 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Carrier deployment schedules
« on: Sep 15, 2007, 07:14 »
Hey guys, got my orders. Going to the CVN-69 (Eisenhower).

I saw they were on a long deployment quasi recently (0ct06-may07), and was wondering if there was some kind of website that had their schedules layed out. Also, what is a typical rotation time for carriers? I have heard they do a deployment, wait 2 years, do a deployment etc etc. Its all hearsay for me right now.

Thanks in advance.

-Jordan

Broadzilla - the search function didnt bring any answers for me  :P

ddklbl

Re: Carrier deployment schedules
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2007, 07:48 »
No, ship schedules would not be advertised on the interwebs. 

Do you have a seadad assigned from the Ike yet?  Weren't phone numbers or email addy's posted on the bulletin board outside the CCC's office for each CVN reactor department?  Find out who your seadad is on the Ike and talk with him.  If the bulletin board is no good, your prototype staff advisor should be able to get you in touch with someone on the 69.

As  far as deployment schedules, be flexible.  I wasn't that long ago that CNN was reporting 3 carrier groups in the Gulf.  Doesn't take a PhD to figure out why.  Someone is going to have to relieve them on station, now and in the near future.

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2007, 07:49 by ddklbl »

LDO4CNO

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:58 »
CP, you got a good ship, possibly the best on the east coast.   I know some of the Nucs on board, and they are very pleased with the command climate and the departmental climate.

Tell Ensign Hitt (RETA) in E Div I said hi.  He's dinq and needs to get HOT!  (BTW stay on his good side, he is a great guy to have on your side.)  He is a rather salty type that left your plant not so long ago as a Chief.

JB

PS You will have some time to settle in before deploying.  All those quals you are so anxious to get will be best obtained underway so keep that in mind.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2007, 09:40 »
Thank you for your quick answers. Im trying to have my cake and eat it too with the navy, but I am also aware of the old adage - sailors belong on ships, and ships belong at sea. Hard to balance my life right now, so I REALLY hope life slows down soon :(

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2007, 08:23 »
Spent 4 years on Ike (Nov 87- Jan 91). I can't remember exactly, but feet dry in Norfolk for the 4 years was under 18 months.
Worked up from Nub to LPO/WCS for #2 MMR (1 plant was for show/ 2 plant was for go). At that time the MMR's and all the Nucs assigned to them were M Div, assigned to the Engineering Dept, not Reactor Dept.  I believe that has changed, but not sure.
Although time distance and shielding have faded many memories (both good and bad) of my time spent on IKE, I can tell you there was nothing like the exhilaration of being the CMO on an engine room startup and bringing it from cold iron to underway.
IB -  Ike Bites- If you haven’t heard it yet you will soon, it’s used as both a negative by some, and an endearing term by others.
Check out http://www.ikebites.com/, Many sea stories about IKE from Plank owners to present day.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2007, 02:27 »
Ships operations schedules are considered classified. That being said a rotation for a CVN is usually shipyard (6 months-1 year) workups {a series of in an out of port 1 week to 2 months underways} about (4-9 months) deployment (6 months-1 year) usually around 6 months. Any part of your schedule can change a lot now. CVN schedules used to be something you could set your watch by but the war on terror has altered them to fit the needs of the Navy vice the cold war style of naval presence.
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2007, 03:54 by landlubber »

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2007, 11:03 »
Being that I just got out and was on a carrier I have a pretty good idea of the planning of deployments or the lack there of.  There is a lot of different variables that go into the schedule for ship underway time.  It depends on the phase of a ships work up cycle, ship status, fleet status, world status.  Any one of the things can change the ships schedule, sometimes years to months ahead of time or even a couple of days ahead.  There is really no set rotation for a carrier, really it's just who is available for a given time.  The Stennis just got back from a 8 month-er Aug 31 and is going out again in what I would refer to as a short period of time due to the Lincoln screwing up a dry docking and being delayed four months.  I heard that two year thing to when I first got orders and it didn't follow true at all.  Just expect to due two work up cycles, which is just basic ship quals and that takes a few underways to complete,  and two deployments if you don't re-enlist.  Other than that, it can be pretty random.  Oh, and this last deployment I went on was almost moved ahead three weeks due to the navy wanting two carriers in the gulf, and the ship was told about a week ahead of the new date, I got a call while I was on leave. 

Marvin

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2007, 12:22 »
I was on the Ike from January 25, 1982 until June 20th, 1984.  In RL division.  In 28 months, we went on two long deployments (and I don't mean a couple of months) and a whole bunch of little ones (for no apparent reason other than to test the main engines).  You will get lots of thinking time, so make the most of it.  Don't get drug down into the woe is me world of the woebegone.  Every ship has them.  Keep a stiff upper lip and "be all that you can be".  You will have some of the worst times of your life, and some of the best times.  But one thing is for sure.  You'll be better because of it.  I hope it goes well for you.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2007, 06:29 »
Thank you for yoru answers! I appreciate it!

seems like I lucked out getting the eisenhower! :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?