Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu "C" schools.  

Author Topic: "C" schools.  (Read 9932 times)

Cycoticpenguin

"C" schools.
« on: Sep 15, 2007, 07:24 »
1) Yes, I'm fully aware I need to qualify surface warfare/ senior in rate first. Im doing some carreer planning now.

2) What are the best C schools for mechanics? (please dont say elt). I REALLY want a QA school, perhaps a design school. Are enlisted people able to go? Also, primary valve repair would be high on my list to. Im not sure what else would interest me, where can I find a list of them?

3) When's a good time to ask for one? When I reenlist? (It says gaurenteed C school, but no one Ive talked to really got what they wanted) How easy is it to get a school?

thanks in advance!

-Jordan

Fermi2

Re: "C" schools.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:00 »
Don't take Primary Valve School as if a Primary Valve needs repaired they'll have the Shipyard do it.

Hey you're all qualified right?

Mike

LDO4CNO

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:33 »
Jason the guarantee on the school is certianly there, but what can happen is you are put in a positon where you may have to sacrifice the orders you really want to get the school.

In other words the detailer knows you want an A4W ship out of San Diego.  He arranges to get you the orders you want.  When asked about the "C" school you may find that you have to waive the school to get the orders.  I am not going to call it a bait and switch, yet in some cases that is almost what it seems.  Years and Years ago, I ended up waiving my C school for the orders I wanted, and I never looked back.

If you are looking for things to pad your resume, good on ya.  The two things that will help you most after graduating the pipeline are quals you get on the ship.  One  EWS, the other QAS.  These both will help either in or out of the Navy. 

The best school for you is one of the packages they offer.  They still have a Sub Aux Package School, and a similar Course for the Surface guys. 

The only QA course worth anything for the enlisted folks is the 5-8 week planner school in Norfolk.  The 3-5 day QA courses given everywhere else are easy enough to vome by and offer a overview.  If you want to get heavy on QA, that can be done on the deckplates easily enough.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2007, 09:36 »
Don't take Primary Valve School as if a Primary Valve needs repaired they'll have the Shipyard do it.

Hey you're all qualified right?

Mike

To my understanding, primary valve repair is a hot job out of the navy. I agree, it probably will suck while in the navy, but that aside, Id like to work on primary valves anyway.  :) I FULLY plan on getting EWS as SOON as possible, and Id like to pick up EOOW as well. I dont know if its ambition or stupidity :-P

Mike - As for me being fully qualified, Im pretty much all the way there, but I get to sit on my hands for a couple weeks while we go through some hiccups to get everything here straightened out. Just to put it in perspective, our grade date was the 28th of september, NOW its the 24th of october :(

thanks guys! :)

LDO4CNO

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2007, 10:09 »
The Navy does not send ships force sailors to Primary valve repair school.  If you want to understand how and possibly execute repairs to primary valves take orders to NRMD for shore duty. 

Your ability to operate the plant and lead people will get you more job opportunity's than pipe cutting and weld prep skills.

JB.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2007, 10:15 »
Well congrats on your progress so far!

Mike

JsonD13

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2007, 10:29 »
Just a little real world wisdom for you (this is not meant to deter you from trying though), PPWO (read EOOW for subs) is not very realistic unless you are a MMC or higher in the yards (the only place they will let you qualify as a blue shirt is prototype), EOOW is in charge of both plants on a carrier and is usually a LDO.  PPWS (read EWS for subs), is a better goal, but usually only the really hot runners will get it on their first sea duty straight from prototype, and usually its towards the end of your tour.

Focus on qualifying up to senior in rate first, you get 18 mos for warfare, of which it will probably only take a week or two of actual work.

Wait on the decision to re-enlist until you have been underway on a qualified watchstation.  I'm sure standing feed pumps for a deployment might make you think a little bit differently.

Congrats on getting through the pipeline!

Jason

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2007, 06:45 »
Thanks for the supportive answers :)

Watch supervisor is not a goal of mine, its a midway point to getting all the qualifications I want done. Im fully aware that life underway will pretty much suck, but im more then willing to put in a little more "hurt" in the beginning while im young and able to get out the rewards for the future. I will be asking a lot of questions when I report to my ship :)

Thanks again for the support  8)

-jordan

LDO4CNO - is it a C school? Or what is it? one of my instructors in A school talked to me about it a lot, but I dont have the opportunity to speak with him anymore. That said, to get the jobs/schools I want, Im pretty sure I will have to prove myself anyway ;)

Kev3399

« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2007, 09:38 »
Don't sell yourself short now and say Watch Supervisor isn't a goal of yours. That should be your immediate long term goal once you get to your ship. Second Classes qualify all the time, sometimes it depends on the command.

Set yourself up for the future. Qualify PPWS/EWS as soon as you can in your career. If you decide to stay in, then you have the check in the box for making Chief. Also, when you do a prototype tour(you should, contrary to what others say) you'll be able to do initial EWS quals and put yourself in the drivers seat towards getting qualified EOOW at prototype.

Now lets say that you decide to get out of the Navy. If you have PPWS/EWS or EOOW under your belt, you will find all kinds of job opportunities, especially in the commercial industry.

PPWS/EWS have a greater impact on your advancement then 95% of "C" Schools will. Its unfortunate that Nuke advancement is broke in that respect, but its the way things are. I never attended a "C" School while in the Navy, it never hurt my advancement one bit. The path I described above will set you up for success whether you stay in or decide to get out in the future. Just my two cents of experience......Best of luck to you.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2007, 08:05 »
Thanks for the supportive answers :)

LDO4CNO - is it a C school? Or what is it? one of my instructors in A school talked to me about it a lot, but I dont have the opportunity to speak with him anymore. That said, to get the jobs/schools I want, Im pretty sure I will have to prove myself anyway ;)

Is what a C school?

LDO4CNO

« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2007, 08:14 »
Don't sell yourself short now and say Watch Supervisor isn't a goal of yours. That should be your immediate long term goal once you get to your ship. Second Classes qualify all the time, sometimes it depends on the command.

Set yourself up for the future. Qualify PPWS/EWS as soon as you can in your career. If you decide to stay in, then you have the check in the box for making Chief. Also, when you do a prototype tour(you should, contrary to what others say) you'll be able to do initial EWS quals and put yourself in the drivers seat towards getting qualified EOOW at prototype.

Now lets say that you decide to get out of the Navy. If you have PPWS/EWS or EOOW under your belt, you will find all kinds of job opportunities, especially in the commercial industry.

PPWS/EWS have a greater impact on your advancement then 95% of "C" Schools will. Its unfortunate that Nuke advancement is broke in that respect, but its the way things are. I never attended a "C" School while in the Navy, it never hurt my advancement one bit. The path I described above will set you up for success whether you stay in or decide to get out in the future. Just my two cents of experience......Best of luck to you.

CP, this advice above is right on target.  You seem to be one of these guys who wants to map out the details ten years ahead of time.  I know because I have the same problem  A better approach may be to have long term goals (EWS/PPWO, etc) and focus on excelling now.  Figure out how to get EP on all evals.  Understand your EVAL/FITREP and learn to write your own.  Be the top guy and you will be a mover and a shaker.  Find the guys that made CPO early and pick there brain. (Hint: Male Ego's need feeding, they will be tickled to tell you why they are so good).

C schools are nice.  Sustained Superior Performance at Sea and Senior Qualifications will help you in and out of the Navy.

JB

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2007, 05:02 »
Thank you for your continuing advice :-D

Watch supervisor IS a goal, but its part of a bigger picture. I take each day as it comes, thats for sure :). I am a realist, Im just trying to get some kind of path laid out, so I dont replay my life after high school. I was told for years I would do nothing with my life, and the best revenge is success :)

LDO4CNO - is primary valve maintenance (my instructor in "A" school called it valve cutter school or something like that.) It really interests me on a personal, not so much proffesional level. That said, I appreciate the advice :)

EDIT: can i expect this job out of the navy?? It looks JUST like what we do!  Entergy job search : reference number : 104514 ( it wont let me give a direct link :()

At the time of appointment to the active position, an Auxiliary Operator shall have a high school diploma or equivalent including courses in basic algebra and physics with a minimum of four years experience in the operation of power plant equipment or two years experience in the operation of nuclear power plant equipment, or a four year degree.

DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (List in descending order of importance.)

1. To operate, under the supervision of the Control Room Supervisor, all plant auxiliary equipment that is not normally operated from the Control Room.

2. To perform routine tests, incidental maintenance, electrical switching assignments, or other duties necessary to assure continuity of power generation.

3. To perform periodic inspections of all assigned equipment spaces.

4. To communicate with the Control Room Operator as directed by the Control Room Supervisor.

5. To be thoroughly familiar with the conditions and limitations of equipment operation, circle out of specification notations and denote reasons on all reports, logs and surveillance forms.

6. To be familiar with and observe plant operating procedures, proper radiological control practices, industrial safety practices, and fire protection and prevention requirements.

7. To report to the Control Room any abnormal plant or equipment conditions and to take further procedurally required steps to initiate corrective action.

8. To conduct a shift turnover per procedure.

9. To maintain qualification for the Fire Brigade, act as a member of the Fire Brigade until relieved at the direction of the Brigade Commander.

10. To prepare for advancement through experience, classroom training and study.

11. To perform such other duties as may be assigned.

It has a 20-45$ an hour start rate...... In SW michigan too lol... what would an EWS qualed MMC expect to start out with 9 years of experience?
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2007, 05:34 by Cycoticpenguin »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2007, 07:16 »
Thank you for your continuing advice :-D

Watch supervisor IS a goal, but its part of a bigger picture. I take each day as it comes, thats for sure :). I am a realist, Im just trying to get some kind of path laid out, so I dont replay my life after high school. I was told for years I would do nothing with my life, and the best revenge is success :)

LDO4CNO - is primary valve maintenance (my instructor in "A" school called it valve cutter school or something like that.) It really interests me on a personal, not so much proffesional level. That said, I appreciate the advice :)

EDIT: can i expect this job out of the navy?? It looks JUST like what we do!  Entergy job search : reference number : 104514 ( it wont let me give a direct link :()

At the time of appointment to the active position, an Auxiliary Operator shall have a high school diploma or equivalent including courses in basic algebra and physics with a minimum of four years experience in the operation of power plant equipment or two years experience in the operation of nuclear power plant equipment, or a four year degree.

DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (List in descending order of importance.)

1. To operate, under the supervision of the Control Room Supervisor, all plant auxiliary equipment that is not normally operated from the Control Room.

2. To perform routine tests, incidental maintenance, electrical switching assignments, or other duties necessary to assure continuity of power generation.

3. To perform periodic inspections of all assigned equipment spaces.

4. To communicate with the Control Room Operator as directed by the Control Room Supervisor.

5. To be thoroughly familiar with the conditions and limitations of equipment operation, circle out of specification notations and denote reasons on all reports, logs and surveillance forms.

6. To be familiar with and observe plant operating procedures, proper radiological control practices, industrial safety practices, and fire protection and prevention requirements.

7. To report to the Control Room any abnormal plant or equipment conditions and to take further procedurally required steps to initiate corrective action.

8. To conduct a shift turnover per procedure.

9. To maintain qualification for the Fire Brigade, act as a member of the Fire Brigade until relieved at the direction of the Brigade Commander.

10. To prepare for advancement through experience, classroom training and study.

11. To perform such other duties as may be assigned.

It has a 20-45$ an hour start rate...... In SW michigan too lol... what would an EWS qualed MMC expect to start out with 9 years of experience?

Whoa there. You talk about realism yet speak of job prospects for a 9 year MMC. In 9 years, things will be vastly different than they are today. But in a good way. The nuke industry is exploding and any nuke worth his salt need not worry... that is if they want to stay in this industry. Things will also be vastly different in the Navy. The way things are going, you may not have a choice but to do 20 years hehe :) (I am just joking about that... I don't know anything about STOP LOSS)

To answer your question... right now... a 9 year nuke qualified EWS for a useful length of time can walk into instant SRO jobs, maintenance supervisor jobs, or training jobs, etc. It just depends on the person and where they want to work and their diligence. The MMC part has nothing to do with it. Like my CMC said on my way out, he will be coming to me for a job in 5 years. He will start on the bottom like every other ex navy nuke. Thats just the facts of life. In the commercial nuke world, navy nuke experience does not equal commercial experience in any real way. Its just a tool bag full of skills you bring that make you useful; e.g. being able to absorb vast amounts of info and qualify something. Therefore, a navy nuke just getting out is just entry level regardless of rank. At least that is my experience thus far. The old dogs around here will correct me if I am wrong. But a lot of old navy nukes find that hard to swallow when they get out. An old Master Chief friend of mine found out that reality when he finally retired and looked for a job. He thought he was going to walk into some management job at a nuke plant. Instead, he started out on the bottom with everyone else with a huge pay cut. Thankfully for him, he had his retirement. What he learned and a lot of nuke don't realize or believe is that the navy nuke world and the commercial world are vastly different. I have two ex LTs qualified navy engineer in my license class... they started out at the same level as me and I was enlisted. And, just because you were top dog in the navy nuke world, doesn't equate to anything in the commercial nuke world.

So in summary, stop worrying about what is 9 years or so down the road and focus on the journey. There are no guarantees that you will qualify EWS or make MMC or avoid mast or a million other possibilities. Your best bet for a career in the commercial nuke world, and this is the truth, is to get out at your 6 year point and start as an NLO somewhere and work your way up. I wish I had known what I know now when I reenlisted. There are 25 year old 6 and outters in my license class pulling in 100K as NLOs here at Palo Verde. And it only gets better when they get their papers. Reenlisting only to do something like qualify EWS then get out is silly and is just wasted time, and I am speaking from experience. This is exactly what I did. In 6 out of 7 interviews, they said "I don't give a s**t about your EOOW quals..." That is when I realized what a waste of time the last 3 year have been. Had I wanted a career in the navy, they wouldn't have been of course. But, I was under the false assumption that to get a job in the commercial world, I need to have EWS under my belt backed up with EOOW to hedge out other equally qualified people. That simply wasn't true. Just remember that when someone says that you need to stay in and have EWS to get anywhere out here. Goodluck!

Justin
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2007, 07:36 by JustinHEMI05 »

LDO4CNO

« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2007, 08:22 »

CP.....BLUF....No, there is no longer any "C" school for Primary Valve Maintenance. 

Sailors can and do get trained on Primary Valve Maintenance.  This is typically for those enroute or stationed at NRMD.  You should have an organization called MTG where you are at.  This organization is typically staffed with sailors that have training on cutters, seat repairs, etc.  Once you are qualified look them up and talk to the MM's assigned there.  They should be able to answer your questions.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2007, 08:18 »
CP.....BLUF....No, there is no longer any "C" school for Primary Valve Maintenance. 

Sailors can and do get trained on Primary Valve Maintenance.  This is typically for those enroute or stationed at NRMD.  You should have an organization called MTG where you are at.  This organization is typically staffed with sailors that have training on cutters, seat repairs, etc.  Once you are qualified look them up and talk to the MM's assigned there.  They should be able to answer your questions.

Ok! :) Thank you! I will definently do that.

JH05- heh I get a bit overzealous when I see the job opportunities that await nukes after we are done :)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2007, 11:14 »
Ok! :) Thank you! I will definently do that.

JH05- heh I get a bit overzealous when I see the job opportunities that await nukes after we are done :)

Then why are you hell bent on re-enlisting?

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?