Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke Rates - Is This True?  

Author Topic: Navy Nuke Rates - Is This True?  (Read 73032 times)

Navy Nuke Rates - Is This True?
« on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:21 »
I leave for bootcamp in a few months and heard from an "unreliable source" that Navy Nuke Rates are chosen during bootcamp by the Nuke Chiefs there and I will have no say so in the matter.  Is this true?

I need to know because I really don't want to be put in a job for the next six years that I had no choice in.   

Hope this is false, but need verification.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Navy Nuke Rates - Is This True?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:34 »
Learn this as your mantra...

"Needs of the Navy."

That is how rates are chosen. Is it a bunch of crotchety old Chiefs? I don't know but I doubt it. But the navy says I NEED THIS MANY RATES and so it shall be. You will be able to put your input in... but it doesn't matter in the end. Hopefully though, your needs and the Navy's needs line up and you will be happy. Good luck with that!

Justin
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2007, 10:35 by JustinHEMI05 »

Kev3399

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2007, 01:09 »
Dead on info from Justin.

You will be able asked at the beginning of bootcamp to put the rates in the order of your preference. After that...Needs of the Navy applies.

If it makes you feel any better, I put ET as my #1.......and got it.

ET is the smallest of the 3 rates when it comes to numbers. There are only so many who can be blessed with God's rate.  :)

Navnu

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2007, 05:25 »
But remember, its the EM's that carry the weight of the world on their shoulders. Or rather, their arms.

Don't worry so much about getting a rate that you don't like. If I remember correctly, they told us that your preference factors in, but also your score on the ASVAB, so they will try to put you where you want to be, or at least somewhere where you can do what you are good at. ET was my #1, simply because the schooling seemed harder, at the time, and they got the bigger bonus. I ended up with EM, and while we get the short end of the stick when it comes to the bonuses, we actually have the harder schooling, and I enjoy every minute of it.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2007, 07:11 »
But remember, its the EM's that carry the weight of the world on their shoulders. Or rather, their arms.

Don't worry so much about getting a rate that you don't like. If I remember correctly, they told us that your preference factors in, but also your score on the ASVAB, so they will try to put you where you want to be, or at least somewhere where you can do what you are good at. ET was my #1, simply because the schooling seemed harder, at the time, and they got the bigger bonus. I ended up with EM, and while we get the short end of the stick when it comes to the bonuses, we actually have the harder schooling, and I enjoy every minute of it.

When I went through, I could guarantee MM because projections indicated a strong need for MMs, so I could contractually decide.

This changes, based on needs of the Navy.

All of the rates have their plusses and minuses, and not a one of them prepares you for life outside the Navy any better than the other, unless of course you become an MM-ELT than you get 3 distinctly employable skill sets. But, you can't get ELT, unless you become a MM and then the Lords of Chance rule for you.

Don't sweat what you end up getting.

Take it and once you get to the fleet, cross train and cross qualify as much as you can.

PacketBoy

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2007, 08:25 »
Years ago your test results on the NFQT also played a role in which rate you got.  But it will always comes back to the current needs of the Navy, which change from month to month.

If they have too many electricians, odds are pretty high you'll be a mechanic or electronics technician. Kinda like when the multiple for EM2 was 999 - there were just too many electricians.

Go in with a positive attitude ;D and you can succeed regardless of which rate you end up with - there are positives and negatives associated with each one.

Finalman

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2007, 10:15 »
Years ago your test results on the NFQT also played a role in which rate you got.  But it will always comes back to the current needs of the Navy, which change from month to month.
This is true, your scores on the asvab are what determine, along with your order of preference of jobs, will effect what job you get mainly. Each month or so they have a certain number of each rate that they can send to the school, the time I went through it was about 100MM 50EM and 20ET could go in, luckily I got what I wanted and got MM. BTW, the cheifs that are up there are a MMSC and a MMCM.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2007, 12:22 »
This is true, your scores on the asvab are what determine, along with your order of preference of jobs, will effect what job you get mainly. Each month or so they have a certain number of each rate that they can send to the school, the time I went through it was about 100MM 50EM and 20ET could go in, luckily I got what I wanted and got MM. BTW, the cheifs that are up there are a MMSC and a MMCM.

I am fairly certain that the needs of the navy come before the scores and your preference. But that is only based on something a former ETCM that used to do the picking told me., not my personal experience. Don't get me wrong, the scores have their place but first come the numbers.

Justin

Kev3399

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2007, 01:11 »
Your ASVAB score doesn't guarantee you anything. There is a belief that high scores are required to be an ET and low scores mean you'll be a MM. Not true. The Navy balances the rates so that there are "high ASVAB score" individuals in all the nuke rates. ELTs are selected the same way. Some from the top, middle and bottom of a prototype class.

I wouldn't sweat which nuke rate you get, all 3 of them are better than 95% of the other rates the Navy has to offer.

Finalman

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2007, 05:54 »
Your ASVAB score doesn't guarantee you anything. There is a belief that high scores are required to be an ET and low scores mean you'll be a MM. Not true. The Navy balances the rates so that there are "high ASVAB score" individuals in all the nuke rates. ELTs are selected the same way. Some from the top, middle and bottom of a prototype class.

I wouldn't sweat which nuke rate you get, all 3 of them are better than 95% of the other rates the Navy has to offer.
I never said it guaranteed anything, the sub-scores within your asvab scores are what determine your chance of getting a rate, not your overall score.

And yes the needs of the navy come into play more times than others, say you pick MM, your scores say you should be an EM and there's a need for them, well, we're nukes here, you do the math...

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2007, 10:24 »

Im not sure if i beleive this. We had one ET, and he had mediocre scores in all areas. I scored higher in all areas then him. One of our EM's had the highest overall in all sections. 

I think its more time and place then a sit down and compare scores thing.

EDIT: I think kev3399 hit the nail on the head.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2007, 10:25 by Cycoticpenguin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2007, 12:58 »
My experience is a bit dated but I'm going to put my 2 cents in here anyway. Part of the battery of tests we took was for aptitude, (spatial recognition being key to a mechanic, etc.). These tests however did not determine your rate but were applied along with needs of the Navy and the requests of the sailor, about 75% of us got our requests.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2007, 01:53 »
I leave for bootcamp in a few months and heard from an "unreliable source" that Navy Nuke Rates are chosen during bootcamp by the Nuke Chiefs there and I will have no say so in the matter.  Is this true?

I need to know because I really don't want to be put in a job for the next six years that I had no choice in.   

Hope this is false, but need verification.

The simple answer is yes it is true. You actualy have NO choice in the matter unless you want to be an MM They say they use selection criteria for ET and EM but that is BS my room mate in A school had an electronics tech associates degree and was selected MM. Your statistical odds are you will be an MM if you can't deal with that don't joint

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2007, 05:56 »
If you want to guarantee your job, select MM.  Otherwise, you will be rolling the dice.  By choosing to go MM at MEPS, you never have to worry.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Rad Sponge

« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:27 »
And why not, MM is the best rate ever to prepare you for life after the Navy if you want to go Nuclear OPS.

Become an MM (Subs), be stellar, cross train, qualify SRO/EO/Aux Elec, and be more than qualified to move on with your life.

Plus MM has a better rating badge, who wants a big ball?

hee hee.

Sirveri

« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2007, 09:13 »
To further push MM's, my boat is now allowing MMs to qualify Secondary Chemist.

So you get to pretend to be an ELT... Sort of, still won't let us handle volatile chemicals.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:23 »

So you get to pretend to be an ELT... Sort of, still won't let us handle volatile chemicals.

I assume thats a SSN watch. We hadn't had a 2ndary chemist watch on the CVN for many many years when I was there.

mooredee13

« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:40 »

I qualified as a Secondary Chemist on the Nat Greene back in 1984. "Pretend to be an ELT?" I don't think so. I calculated and conducted blowdowns and additions just like a "real" ELT would, all while supervising ELTs standing U/I watches under me.

Besides, unlike an ELT, I still stood up to pee.

Dave

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2007, 02:01 »
you would have taken ELT school if they offered it to you.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2007, 02:27 »

Its another bullet on your resume. Might be slightly more impressive than "I turned valves for 6 years." Just my opinion.

Justin

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2007, 03:41 »
Besides, unlike an ELT, I still stood up to pee.
Dave

If we ELTs sat around the engine room drinking coffee all day we would have to stand up to get to the John too!!!  Our ELTs were to industrious to warm the benches. :)

P.S. MMs made so many mistakes on secondaries that only ELTs were permitted to perform them on one of my boats. The only chemistry our MMs did was not plant related, well "plant" related but not reactor plant related.

(Geez... when will MMs get over not having made the grade to ELT school.)

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2007, 03:46 »
Our MMs found the turbidity test very challenging

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2007, 04:52 »
I assume thats a SSN watch. We hadn't had a 2ndary chemist watch on the CVN for many many years when I was there.

Were you on a Nimitz class carrier? If so there was a good reason why you didn't have secondary chemists.

Mike

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:04 »

(Geez... when will MMs get over not having made the grade to ELT school.)

FYI...These days they take a balanced group of MM's to be ELT's, not just from the top.   They take guys from the top, middle, and bottom in order to balance.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2007, 01:06 »
FYI...These days they take a balanced group of MM's to be ELT's, not just from the top.   They take guys from the top, middle, and bottom in order to balance.

It was somewhat mixed in my day too but mostly top third of the class, they even tried Electrians for a short period of time. I just couldn't help myself though I had to take a jab, just a weakness.  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2007, 01:06 by Marlin »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?