Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Duke to Build William States Lee III 1&2  

Author Topic: Duke to Build William States Lee III 1&2  (Read 8651 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Duke to Build William States Lee III 1&2
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:18 »
Dec 13  - Duke Energy Corp said on today it filed a COL with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission to build a two-unit nuclear power plant in Cherokee County, South Carolina, called "William States Lee III Nuclear Station " -- geez, how do you dsay that three times real fast?  So its Williams States Lee III One and Williams States Lee III Two?  God, I thought ANO 1 and 2 was bad.

The request is the fourth COL application submission, but the first to request permits for an entirely new plant.

Duke's application requests permission to build two Westinghouse AP1000's with a combined power generating capacity of 2,234 megawatts.

http://www.duke-energy.com/news/releases/2007121301.asp
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2007, 09:24 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Duke to Build Cherokee 1&2
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:26 »
Duke claims it is #4, but the NRC already has 4 others listed on their site:

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/new-licensing/col.html

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Duke to Build William States Lee III 1&2
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:16 »
"William States Lee III Nuclear Station " -- geez, how do you dsay that three times real fast?  So its Williams States Lee III One and Williams States Lee III Two?  God, I thought ANO 1 and 2 was bad.

The nuclear community is fond of abbreviations, so the plant will probably be referred to as WSL. But we are also enamored of acronyms, so it will be pronounced as a word -- "weasel." But to be more exact (to distinguish it from WSLII?) they will insist on the full name WSLIII or "weaselly." The staff will eventually be referred to as a bunch of weasels by the contract HP force. I think I will get a jump on things and start hating them now.  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2007, 08:16 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

illegalsmile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:43 »
The nuclear community is fond of abbreviations, so the plant will probably be referred to as WSL. But we are also enamored of acronyms, so it will be pronounced as a word -- "weasel."
I'm sure the utility will try to pronounce it "Whistle" as in "whistle while you work".....but I like Roger's idea better, so let's make it "weasel"

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:32 »
I'm sure the utility will try to pronounce it "Whistle" as in "whistle while you work".....but I like Roger's idea better, so let's make it "weasel"

I thought of 'whistle' also and it has potential, as in 'whistling in the dark' and a few other 'whistle' terms that I wont post here. But I liked weasel better.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2007, 10:54 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:46 »
I did some review work on the COLA for that site.  I wonder if I went there in the future I'd qualify as a returnee?
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:19 »
It'll probably be "Lee Unit 1 and 2", just like "McGuire Unit 1 and 2", which was named former Duke Power President William B. McGuire, who was in office when Duke chose to "go nuclear" in the 1970's.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?