Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RPI at NY Prototype  

Author Topic: RPI at NY Prototype  (Read 10070 times)

sullied

RPI at NY Prototype
« on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:34 »
I'm transferring to be an instructor at NY Prototype and I'm wanting to get my degree from RPI while I'm there. Is there anyone currently or recently enrolled in the school that can give me some info about it? I'm wanting to know how difficult it is, how much of my time it will take, and how much money I'll spend aside from tuition assistance/mgi bill. I'm married and am expecting a baby, so my biggest concern is being able to spend time with my family. Although, I'm sure it can't be worse than a 7 month deployment to the gulf...

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Rad Sponge

Re: RPI at NY Prototype
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:41 »

sullied

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2007, 04:11 »
That's all good info that I already had...but that tells me nothing of personal experience from someone that's currently in the program or just finished it. For instance, it doesnt tell me the dollar amount that isn't covered by tuition assistance/mgib or how much time I'll be spending at classes/labs. I appreciate the help though.

Rob

135i

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:55 »
I haven't had any personal experience with RPI so I can't answer your specific questions but here's what I've picked up from the guys I work with who are going to RPI:

The only thing I can say for certain is that going to RPI is going to harder than you're expecting. Not in terms of academics but in terms of getting the command/your primary duty(operating/training)/your family all in compliance.

You have to be in sections 1 or 4 in order to go to RPI. If you're not initially assigned to these sections, you can try to get moved. The newest guy I know who wants to do RPI is getting moved to section 4 so he can do it.

You have to maintain certain grades (at work) to attend RPI. The grade you have to maintain is slightly higher for supervisors.

As for time with your family... you can count on at least a 9 hour workday... any schooling after that isn't going to leave much time for family and sleep. I have no specifics on this though.

RPI is pretty expensive if I remember correctly... Even with TA and MGIB.

That's the extent of my knowledge... hope it helps.

number41

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:25 »
sullied, if you need more info, let me know, but I think this should cover most of your questions:
1.)  Cost is around $1200/credit, so a 4 hour class is going to cost you about $4800.  Right now the MGIB is running about $1150 per month assuming that you kicked-in the extra $600.  The investment is well worth the $600 b/c you get ~$150/month bump in MGIB benefits (1150 vs. 1000 without the kicker.)  I'm going off of Summer 07' rates.  The rates change every semester or so, but not by more than 50 bucks or so.  Anyway, if you plan it right, you can tap out your MGIB by using accelerated payment and top-up.  So, that's about $39k that you WON'T be paying out of pocket.  Plus, you'll qualify for T/A at around $4500 a year.  Then, if you become a NY resident, you can get NY state T/A that will range from a couple hundred dollars a year to several thousand.  I got about 6k from NYS my second year, my wife works, we own our home, and we don't have kids.  All of these things will factor greatly into how much assistance you get.  Anyway, when it was all said and done, I paid about $12k out of pocket, I have about $30k of loans, and my MGIB is gone!  If you have the college fund, your situation is a little different, but not by much.

2.) As far as time investment goes, that all depends on you.  A tour at NNPTU is supposed to be 40 months.  So, if you wait to start school until after you are finished with initial quals, you should have about 3 years to finish.  Since RPI gives you ~37-40 hrs for NFAS/NPS, you still have to take about 90 hours.  I finished in 2 years flat, taking anywhere between 3 and 7 classes a semester.  Again, this all depends on how motivated you are.  I basically worked 10 hr days as LPO at MARF, and then went to class for anywhere between 0 and 4 hrs a day.  Some weeks you only go to class for 2 days, others you will be going for 5 days a week.  There are some scenarios where you go to work at 11pm, get off of work at 8am, and then go to class from 9am to 1pm.  So, you're looking at a 14 hour day if you have to drive to Troy.  And that's disregarding homework, study time, and oh yeah, you might want to sleep, too.  I guess I sound like a whiney b!t@h, but I don't want you to think it's a walk in the park.  The academic part is probably within your ability assuming you aren't an idiot.  However, the ability to ignore your friends and family for a couple of years in order to put in the time to do the required work may be outside of your ideal "shore duty." 

3.) Times are a changin'.  I've heard a nasty rumor that RPI is closing the Malta campus, and that they are requiring guys to go to the Troy campus to attend normal classes.  Well, that will be the end of this program.  It's just outside the realm of possibility.  On top of that, as someone else already insinuated, the command isn't necessarily looking favorably on the guys that go to RPI.  Too many of them abuse the system and are screwing it up for guys like you.  Example: you now have to maintain >3.20 on cyclic CTP exams to get T/A from the command and to maintain your recommendation to attend class.  They won't hesitate to order you to drop-out if you aren't performing at work.  Again, this is completely fair and within the ability of most people.  However, enough guys come here just to get the RPI degree and try to treat this job as if it is a cush deal at TTF when it isn't, that the command has taken action.  The feeling I get is that the command realizes that a large percentage of the people coming here only come to go to RPI and they don't really like it.  So, they aren't making it impossible to go, but they are making it harder.  If you want to confirm what the campus plans are, talk to Anita Lindemann.  She's the navy program coordinator at RPI.  You should be able to find her email address in the RPI faculty directory on the RPI website (I think it's lindea@rpi.edu)

4.) Finally, I'll throw you my last little bit of advice (for what it's worth.)  I have gotten the feeling again and again that I may have wasted $70k on a degree that is not doing me much good.  Why?  Because it seems the large majority of the utilities don't care if you have a degree if you are going into op's.  SRO's only have to have a H.S. degree or GED.  So, if you're qualified EOOW/EWS, you're in good shape without a degree.  In fact, Excelon sent a couple of their HR guys here to hold a "career fair" for the Navy guys in the RPI program.  They basically said that they did not care what your degree was in, if you weren't qualified EOOW/EWS you weren't going SRO, and your degree only qualified you for an entry level engineer job b/c you don't have any applicable "engineering" experience as far as they are concerned.  However, I do know several people that have gone to work at the SAME plant, and the guys that went SRO with EWS experience started at $85k workinig shiftwork, and the guys with the RPI degree started at $85k working a normal day shift job.   Take that for what it's worth.  I am by no means an expert on the civilian power sector since I am still in the Nav (for 82 more days..........anybody hiring SRO's? ;D), but I got my degree for my own reasons.  One of those reasons is flexibility.  I can go op's if I want, and I can go engineering if I want.  Having the degree is only going to open doors, not close them.  Furthermore, I feel that having the degree makes me a more "acceptable" candidate for management and many other positions OUTSIDE of nuclear power that do require a degree just to get your foot in the door.  So, while people here will surely contradict what I am telling you, you should get your degree for your own reasons.  In my opinion, the RPI program is GREAT, and you aren't going to find many programs that cater to you the way this one does while providing the level/quality of education that you get at RPI.  Just be prepared to pay for it with your wallet and your time.
Again, most of what I have told you is fact.  Some of it is opinion.  I'm sure you can decide which is which, but if you have any other questions, shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number so we can talk.  Good luck, whatever you decide.

-Seth

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2007, 07:28 »

I believe that TA is 100% (vs 50% in my day).  I believe that the command is understanding of your needs.  But, to the matter of having some family life to boot.  Well that is not necessarily a pipe dream.  But, it certainly isn't going to be easy brother.

TA is "100%" today...however it is capped.  They changed this over when I was the Reactor Electrical Division Officer on IKE. 

My guys complained that they paid more out of pocket since TA went to 100% then they did when it was 80%. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Samabby

« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 09:53 »
Having gone to grad school at night while working, I recall that it was two years without much sleep, but well worth the sacrifice. Good luck.  8)

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2007, 07:50 »
You don't know what the future brings.  Don't put you eggs only in the nuclear power basket.  There are opportunities for those with higher education, and you can start at about $75ggg.gg, with a masters degree. 
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

number41

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:12 »
For anyone that cares, a little poking around and I've found out that if you aren't registered to start this spring (08') then you won't be able to finish RPI at the malta campus.  They're closing it, so you'd have to finish your degree at the Troy campus.  Which, as I said before, is not impossible, but is so completely unrealistic that NOBODY will be able to do it on a normal tour at NPTU, NY.

shayne

« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:04 »
1.)  ... Then, if you become a NY resident, you can get NY state T/A that will range from a couple hundred dollars a year to several thousand. 

I would remind you to consider your state tax situation. 

number41

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2008, 07:03 »
Shayne, I agree totally.  It just turned-out that I wanted to buy a house here, so I was getting screwed with homeowner's tax and school tax anyway, so I figured the difference in state tax was not all that large.  I more than made-up for the difference in state taxes through grants from NY State T/A. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?