Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Best cell phone service at A School in Charleston, SC?  

Author Topic: Best cell phone service at A School in Charleston, SC?  (Read 8159 times)

sephy23

Hello all.  I've been on this forum for a little while now but this is my first time posting.  I just wanted to ask for the opinion of someone who has recently passed/is going through A-school/Power school.  I have a Verizon cell phone and I do not get service in my room.  I was wondering if anyone could suggest a cell phone service.  Perhaps from your own experience here?  I know Alltell is supposed to work well here but I checked it out at the NEX and the plan that had what I would want was a ridiculous price (90 a month).  Also, they didnt have a single good phone except for the new ($220) blackberry pearl...if someone would suggest a carrier that they know works (I live in the D wing of the Nautilus) I would be forever grateful.  Thanks.  I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section of the forum, but I wasnt sure of where to stick this one.

sephy23

Re: Best cell phone service at A School in Charleston, SC?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:43 »
thanks for the quick response.  haha I'm sure I will probably run into your son at some point.  I've only been here for 2 days so far.  The thing is, I'm on the ground floor and I have to go a good 100 yards or so from my room just to get even one bar that's consistent.  Any info on how/where to update my phone for the local towers?  Thanks again!

mlslstephens

« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2008, 09:11 »
Sephy,
Welcome to GC and the nuclear Navy.  Best of luck to you through the pipeline.

Okay, for the most part, I've noticed that Verizon is very "patchy".  Verizon is the carrier we use at the prototype.  It was hit or miss on my "work" phone.  Now that I'm carrying AT&T I've noticed better coverage.  However, I don't stay in the barracks...been there got that T-shirt.  We never had a problem with cellular coverage when I was in A school.  Just plop the dime in and the call went through just fine.  :)  Oh yeah, I had to walk to class and it was uphill both ways.

Hope this helps.

Check the other providers......and stay away from the NEX if thats all they are offering.

Jason

That is good advice from Jason.  Go to the local AT&T store (it is in the same shopping plaza as the NFCU near the mall) and talk to them.  They have some pretty good deals now and the coverage should be better.

Sorry to poke a little fun about the phone booth, but I logged some long hours in the cold in the outside phone booth.  I can't help but laugh at the complaints regarding cell service...I complain the loudest when I can't get a tower to cooperate.

X

ddklbl

« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:11 »
Just plop the dime in and the call went through just fine.  :) 

A dime!  Gawd, you are old!  ;)  I am ashamed to admit though, I named each the salamanders who shared my phone booth in Orlando.  I couldn't afford any cell phone plan back then.  If I remember correctly, it was someting outrageous like $100 for a 200 minute plan :(

For the record, I didn't have to walk uphill.  386 was just around the corner.

CheeeeeseBurghheeerrrrr!!!  All the way down!

*Hunkering down for the onslaught by Mare Island and Great Mistakes grads*

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:15 »
I have no experience in the location youre in but I've found tmobile has good southern coverage and if youre lacking on credit will give you a phone for a fairly good monthly price with no deposit.  Check out the coverage map on t-mobile.com and see what it gives.  They're having a good sale on phones right now too, most are free or fairly cheap if acquired online and have a fantastic cancellation policy in the first month if it proves to not be the right one for you.  Just make sure you get a quad band world phone for those rural areas that may still be using an older band.  My favs makes things a bit cheaper too, since you can have unlimited talk time to the 5 people you talk to the most which will allow you to actually use a plan with low anytime minutes if you know youll only be talking to a few people a ton. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?