Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Curious about enlisting in Navy nuke program honeypot

Author Topic: Curious about enlisting in Navy nuke program  (Read 40227 times)

joeyj86

Curious about enlisting in Navy nuke program
« on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:36 »
Alright, I'm a 4th year college student (currently a music education major) at the University of North Florida with a 3.5 GPA.  I became frustrated with the career path I was on so, consumed with worry over where the rest of my college funds were going to come from, not to mention what I would study, I talked with a Navy recruiter.  After taking a practice ASVAB the recruiter suggested the nuke program, saying that I could enlist, and later apply for some sort of program that would allow me to go back and finish my bachelor's degree (I imagine it would be in some sort of engineering field?) and move on to OCS.  My concerns about this idea are twofold.  First off, I have a semester of school left before I'd enlist, as I need to bring my weight down and I've already signed up for housing.  I'm wondering what classes I should be pushing to make myself a more valuable candidate for whatever program I'm looking to get picked up for out of nuke school.  Secondly, and more generally, is enlisting really my best option here, or should I just tough out some sort of engineering degree out of my own pocket and try the program with a bachelor's degree.  Sorry to be so vague about everything, I'll appreciate whatever information I can get.

Joe

shayne

Re: Curious about enlisting in Navy nuke program
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:56 »
You may have some time in DEP after you commit to the Navy.  I would imagine that your ship date should provide you with ample amount of time to finish this semester.  As far as taking classes to get ahead, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are looking for some other field.  Your ASVAB scores will dictate which fields you are qualified for.  If you do qualify for and accept the Navy Nuclear Power Program, then the best thing you can do is sharpen your learning and memory skills.  You will have all the necessary knowledge you will need, because the program will teach the rest information their way.

You may have the opportunity to do some college after you finish the training program, qualify for your job on the ship, and if they ship schedule allows it.  If you do finish your degree, OCS is an option for a commission.  There are other Officer programs that you may be qualified for, however I wouldn't enlist in the Navy just to pursue officer programs.  Enlist because you would want to do the job and then decide if the officer thing is something you are interested in.  Many of us have seen people take the enlisted route for an officer program to find out it didn't work out and they are now bitter about their decision to enlist.

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2008, 04:11 »
Did the Navy recruiter mention anything about taking another test called the NFQT (Nuclear Field Qualification Test)?  I signed up back in 1978 and it was required to qualify for the nuke field.  If still required, that test was very heavy in math, physics, spacial orientation and such.  very technical.  Are you good at math, science?  You will need these courses as a base for being successful at Nuclear Power School.

When I was in , a nuke could chose one of 4 ratings, Machinist Mate (MM), Electricians Mate (EM), Electronic Tech (ET), and Interior Communications (IC).  I'm not sure if they are still the same since I got out of the Navy in 1990.

For me, it was the best decision of my life.

shayne

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2008, 04:15 »
I understand that today, NFQT is required if sections of your ASVAB are do not meet the minimum number to get into the program.  I believe that some score high enough on the applicable sections of the test, so the NFQT isn't required.  There is no IC nuclear rate anymore.   

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:05 »
If you’re music major and have personality that loves creativity, expression, and all the other attributes that make someone a good musician the nuclear world in general may not be the best place for you. As a fellow musician I can tell you from experience that working in a field that places a near biblical importance on procedural compliance you may find yourself unhappy. There is no creativity allowed in the nuclear community not following procedure is one of the unforgivable sins.

If you desire a career in the Navy I would recommend this if you are nearly complete with a degree find out if it will qualify you to go to OCS to do this talk specifically with the officer programs recruiter. The enlisted recruiter will do whatever he can to get you to go enlisted and fill his quota for the month. Now if you need different degree that would require too many new credits I would consider enlisting as an MU (musician) they do not do sea tours which is not to say they don’t see the world they get stationed all over. You will need to audition for it and there are separate requirements if you don’t play a typically needed instrument (typical marching band inst). Your starting rank will depend on the ability you demonstrate at audition in some cases MUs start out as E6 after leaving boot camp, this is rare however its possible

joeyj86

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:49 »
Thanks to all for the info!  I did indeed find alot of this information in previous posts, I guess that's an example of something I should've checked before starting a new topic.  The biggest pull the enlistment route has on me right now is the opportunity to get paid while being trained.  I plan to get a degree at some point, but despite being in school for 4 years I'm at least two years off of any sort of technical degree.  (I went from being an English major to Music Ed.)  The Nuke field sounds interesting and challenging, and although I'm woefully out of practice I generally do well with maths and sciences. (I plan to load my schedule with maths and physics next semester, any specific courses I should look for?  Also, would it be worth while to change my major to an engineering, albeit for only one semeseter?)  To synopsize my position, I'm kind of groping for direction and a little bit of financial stability.  The biggest danger sign I see in this thread, and the others I've read is the fact that I'm rolling the dice by hoping to make officer while in nuke school. (I realize there are some nice Navy acronyms that I should've applied here, but I'm still learning.)  I guess I need to make up my mind as to whether or not I'm willing to take a chance there and accept the consequences if things don't work out the way I've planned.  I suppose I have the option of continuing my university education after I've served, at the very least I'll have learned a marketable skill.   Once again, thanks for all the info! I'll greatly appreciate any additional information. 

Just caught your reply as I was writing this post 93-383, thanks for the insight.  I'm still a year or two off of my music ed degree, and my enlistment audition instrument would be bassoon.  The bassoon is a cool instrument, but my lack of passion for it in particular (not music) is one of the reasons I'm moving away from my current degree.  Aside from music my other big passion is writing and language, I've given trying for some kind of Navy language program some thought too, but I suppose this is the wrong thread (not to mention website :) for that.  Thanks for that point of view though!  That does leave me with alot to mull over.

Offline North Star

• Very Lite User
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:28 »
As Shayne said, DO NOT enlist with the expectation of being able to get into an officer program.  I have a number of classmates here right now that were, not really lied to by their recruiter, but mislead in the availability of other options.  They ended up getting officer which is how they're at NNPTC now, but for most of them it's there second time through, and you don't want to have to go through here more than once.

The training you would receive as an officer or enlisted student is top notch and your Navy work would prepare you well for a number of good paying careers.  While it would provide you financial stability as you were further along in your Navy career, the junior enlisted aren't making tons of money by any means, so look at the financial side of things before you sign up if that's a concern of yours.  I wasn't enlisted though, so others on this site can speak more to that than I.

I can tell you a ton about the officer side of the program if you'd like to know about that, but my knowledge of the enlisted experience is not very good.  Send me a message if you want to know more about any of this.

The Navy is great, but you have to make sure you do it for the right reasons.  Don't enter in to the Navy thinking "if I can't do job X, I don't want to do anything".  But if you see yourself being happy in a number of jobs in the Fleet, you might want to give it a shot.  On the enlisted side now, Nuclear rates are available for Machinist's Mates (MM), Electronic Technicians (ET), and Electrician's Mates (EM).
"Rank among Junior Officers is like virtue among whores." -My Shift Engineer

mlslstephens

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:26 »
Aside from music my other big passion is writing and language, I've given trying for some kind of Navy language program some thought too,

Joe,
Some real good advice given so far, and yes, most have been quite nice.  The attack cat is relatively new.  Usually you get something much nastier.  I won't mention any names, but I will say "Well Done".  That is your first look up.

Aside from the fun and games, I joined the Navy because the Army recruiter I visited talked to me about the Navy's nuclear power program.  Long story short...I wanted to be a camouflaged, face painted, gun totin' war machine (green beret) and when I walked into the recruiter's office with my polo shirt, rolled up jeans and penny loafers (okay, I'm old and was a preppy), the recruiter pointed me to the Navy's office and said, "come back if you don't like the nuke program".  I still think she was a guardian angel and not a recruiter.  Okay, back to you Joe, you sound like someone with some creativity and language skills.  I'm going to be honest, like it has already been said, there's no room in the nuclear field for creativity.  However, and here is the ironic part, I would recommend you check out the Army's language option.  They have an incredible school in Monterey, CA called defense language institute (DLI) and they do to foreign language what us nukes do to nuclear power; teach it like no one else.  It is a great school, and I have many friends who have gone through multiple times with multiple languages.  It offers much travel after the school.  This may not be the answer, but it might be worth looking in to.  Either way, Joe, I wish you the best of luck at UNF, the military, and whatever else you pursue. 

X

Offline mikec426

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2008, 12:16 »
If you're interested in languages, the Navy has excellent programs as well.  CTI is the rate you're looking for, I think.  It requires a test also, the Defense Language Aptitude Battery, DLAB.  And oddly enough, the school for CTI is also in Monterey, CA.

Anyway, if you're going to enlist and try for an officer program, make sure you can live with staying on the enlisted side if you don't get picked up for officer.  There are several programs out there... with some, you need to have your degree completed... with others, they give you a certain amount of time to complete your degree.  If you get selected, you don't have to stay in the nuclear program, you can be another type of officer.  Unless you apply for and get selected in the Nuclear Enlisted Commissioning Program.

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2008, 12:45 »
Hey by not so nice are you implying something???!!!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2008, 12:51 »
Hey by not so nice are you implying something???!!!

:) When you throw a rock in a pig pen it’s the one you hit that squeals!!  :)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2008, 01:55 »
Im lazy to read the lengthy posts all the way through, so if I repeated  anything, Im sorry! :D

Id honestly stay in the program. You are in a tough spot to be to become an officer after joining with 3 years under your belt. You are NOT elidgable for STA-21 (the "easiest" way to become an officer), and OCS from what I hear is QUITE comptetive. You should really finish your bachelors, then commision to have the navy pay off your loans (not sure how it works, others can help). I personally feel that if you are this close to getting your degree you will kick yourself for not finishing it and commisioning. Not saying enlisted is a bad thing (i love it :D), but you are kind of selling yourself short here. Stick it out, and finish your degree. BTW you dont need an engineering degree to join (my favorite officer was a history major, another Sir I really like was an art major :D)

Again, I'm junior enlisted so take my words with a grain of salt, just my two cents though.

135i

« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:08 »
As Shayne said, DO NOT enlist with the expectation of being able to get into an officer program.  I have a number of classmates here right now that were, not really lied to by their recruiter, but mislead in the availability of other options.  They ended up getting officer which is how they're at NNPTC now, but for most of them it's there second time through, and you don't want to have to go through here more than once.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to go through NNPTC more than once... Goose Creek isn't that nice but after being at prototype for roughly a year on both the student and the staff side, NNPTC seems much more appealing. I guess I should mention that I'm speaking of NPTU Ballston Spa. My friends from Power School/NPTU are either on deployment, in the shipyards (read: painting), doing work ups etc. At NNPTC you work 7-3 and study a few hours a night at most. You only work 5 days a week. Now, granted, prototype is where you actually start learning important things and operating. Operating, for me, is the best part but 6 months at Power School seems like a nice vacation from shift work (and longer hours.. not to mention the 12 hours a day the students work).

As for whether or not to enlist, I actually agree with penguin. See what your options are from an Officer recruiter. If at all possible I'd say finish your degree then go to OCS. The Nuclear Pipeline will provide quite the distraction to achieving your officer ambitions from the enlisted side.

blonderocker1343

« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2009, 08:14 »
i got 90 on asvab... i still had to take the Qualify test, so did all my friends. i think its a must now. But i was still in high school when i joined and qualified, so maybe that factored.

awint

« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2009, 12:19 »
I am not 100% but was told by my recruiter that since i made a 99 on my afqt that i would not be required to take the additional test.  Waiting on a small moral waiver to get in, luckily they are in need of good candidates so i feel secure in my chances.  Wish me luck.

sancy44

« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2009, 04:22 »
Im currently in the process of joining the Navy. My initial interest was in the Inteligence field. However, I scored a 90 on my ASVAB and my recruiter mentioned the advanced nuclear program. Im having a hard time deciding. I know that it will be extremely beneficial to become a nuke. My main concern is the schooling. I've been told that it is high paced and difficult. Most of the information I have found just gives information on the schools and program but I would like to get information from someone who has personally experienced it.appreciate any feedback.

kp88

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2009, 05:48 »
Im currently in the process of joining the Navy. My initial interest was in the Inteligence field. However, I scored a 90 on my ASVAB and my recruiter mentioned the advanced nuclear program. Im having a hard time deciding. I know that it will be extremely beneficial to become a nuke. My main concern is the schooling. I've been told that it is high paced and difficult. Most of the information I have found just gives information on the schools and program but I would like to get information from someone who has personally experienced it.appreciate any feedback.
You've got to be trolling.  http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,21889.msg114225.html#msg114225

withroaj

« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2009, 08:24 »

The pace in school is pretty quick, and it's as difficult as you make it.  Don't worry about school, though.  That's just the beginning of it.  Think about the job you'll be getting.  Poke around the forum a bit and you'll see about the rates:  MM, EM, ET and (best of all by leaps and bounds) ELT. 

No matter what field you go into in the Navy (nuke or non-nuke) you'll spend your first four to six years doing a LOT of cleaning.  The question is: what do you want to do when you're not cleaning?  Stare at a panel (EM and ET)?  Walk in circles writing down numbers (MM)?  Or, would you want to valiantly hold chemistry in spec and maintain radiological conditions in the plant safe enough for your non-ELT brethren to mind their panels and read their gages?

The answer seems obvious.  Go nuke.  Strive for ELT.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2009, 10:51 »
...(best of all by leaps and bounds) ELT. 

...Or, would you want to valiantly hold chemistry in spec and maintain radiological conditions in the plant safe enough for your non-ELT brethren to mind their panels and read their gages?

The answer seems obvious.  Go nuke.  Strive for ELT.

Withroaj, I demand that you clean my keyboard and monitor!  After reading your post, I just vomited.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

misterbensin

« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2009, 11:13 »
Have you thought of NUPOC? A little over a year ago I was in your position. Except that I didn't think of the navy until after I graduated with my useless English degree (my spelling is still awful no matter how much Blake I've read). Since you are talking about taking another semester anyway, you may want to consider taking two semesters of calculus and calculus based physics, you can probably take these at a community college (you will obviously have to finish this up over the summer) and save some of that money that you're worried about. This would put you in in the running for a NUPOC slot (very competitive, think about doing some community service, joining a club or two etc. ;)) They will pay for the last half of your education, and you will be an officer. A better position all around. I wish I'd of thought of this then. Good luck!

P.S. As far as the NFQT goes, your line scores (i.e. math and science) determine whether or not you need to take it. Score high enough on these you don't have to, score borderline OK, and you have to.

withroaj

« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2009, 11:48 »
Withroaj, I demand that you clean my keyboard and monitor!  After reading your post, I just vomited.

Just giving an honest answer to a newcomer's honest question.  The question of whether to go nuke or not if one already plans to enlist seems moot to me.  I'd rather operate a plant between cleaning evolutions than sit around all day, and we all know who rules the roost when it comes to enlisted nukes.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2009, 06:14 »
Very well said. :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?