Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu First Week on a Carrier!  

Author Topic: First Week on a Carrier!  (Read 39411 times)

Cycoticpenguin

First Week on a Carrier!
« on: Jan 18, 2008, 04:45 »
initial thoughts on my first week here

1) WHATS WITH ALL THE G#@ DA#@# STAIRS?!? lol I get a healthy workout every day
2) S-bag's galore!
3) Its not going to be hard to stand out amongst my peers. Good people, not so hot work ethic
4) Wow.
5) 30% done with bneq after 2 days of qual time... '

EDIT: I (finally) got what I wanted - RM! :D I was excited to hear that
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2008, 04:57 by Cycoticpenguin »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: First Week on a Carrier!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:07 »
It is easy to stand out on a carrier...All you really need to do is qualify on time.  Keep charging on.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:49 »

You're still dink nub.

Justin

lagrange

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2008, 10:48 »

2) S-bag's galore!
3) Its not going to be hard to stand out amongst my peers. Good people, not so hot work ethic
4) Wow.

Long, long way to go.  Once you stand a little Feed Pump Watch in the Gulf you'll have earned that nuke pay!

t
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008, 01:23 by lagrange »

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2008, 06:22 »
Why only 30%?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2008, 12:56 »
Why only 30%?

haha Im already ahead of a guy that's been here for a month and a half. Kind of sad really.

I hope this is NOT what I should expect out of my division :( Im the only RM nuke down here right now though

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2008, 07:29 »
Don't forget to start your PVO card as well.  As an RM guy, you'll be expected to know significantly more then your peers when it comes to that one.

Also...if you want to make a really good impression and be considered a hard charger, get a shutdown roving watch qual card and start standing UI's on your duty days.  If the RT staff won't give you one, talk to the RM div Training Petty Officer and he should hook you up.

Keep charging.

Oh....and don't pass judgement on those guys that are dink in BNEQ.....If you get the reputation as an arrogant jerk, you're qual progress will slow.

There are three ways to qualify slow.
1.  Be lazy
2. Be an idiot
3.  Be an arrogant jerk...this one applies even before you get to the ship.....We had a SPU who probably was the smartest nub I saw in regards to nuke stuff...but, he had been a jerk to several of the guys that were now qualified sailors onboard IKE....Those guys let everyone know that the SPU was a jerk....Despite being a very smart guy...he qualified BNEQ late.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:48 »
haha Im already ahead of a guy that's been here for a month and a half. Kind of sad really.

I hope this is NOT what I should expect out of my division :( Im the only RM nuke down here right now though

You're still dink nub.

Justin

JsonD13

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:02 »
Best thing for you to do is not focus on getting checkout from RT staff but get them from RM.  You'll be working for those guys when you qualify, so why not get to know them now.  Also, if you impress them with knowledge, that might help.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:35 »

2) S-bag's galore!
4) Wow.

Carrier duty can be great as long as you don't mind standing in lines.  At least you have internet these days.  Back in the "old surface nuke" Navy of 25 years ago we had to settle for mail call but being we were the airport, mail was a frequent arrival - another advantage of being on a carrier.  I remember ordering an espresso machine from the Navy Exchange in Italy and having it delivered a week later while the Nimitz was at sea.   

Please, don't call those ladders "stairs".  It'll embarrass you in front of the old salts who show up for a tiger cruise.  Heed the advice about spending time with RM divvers and not live in RT.  The RM people have a vested interest in getting you qualified and on the watch rotation.  I hated my RT time and couldn't wait to get out of there.

Dave

Kev3399

« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2008, 05:54 »

Glad you are living up to your enthusiasm. 

1) Uhhhh  We called them "Ladder(s)" on a submarine.
2) We didn't have those on Submarine's.
3) That would be everyone on a Submarine (the excellence you speak of that is...good work ethic's/hard chargers).
4) Exactly.
5) You'd be right on track on a Submarine.

Just to elucidate my point further.  You'd fit right in on a Submarine.  But, to that I'll say this:

Welcome to the Surface Navy.

Good Luck.  Keep up the hard work.  And, don't make me send the BoatsWain Mate (we didn't have one of those on a Submarine if you were wondering) down to educate you on Ladders and things.

Jason

You submarine types are funny. In his defense, they are actually stairs.

Stairs
"1 : a series of steps or flights of steps for passing from one level to another"
This is what I remember. Steps going down or up at an angle.

Ladder
"1: a structure for climbing up or down that consists essentially of two long sidepieces joined at intervals by crosspieces on which one may step"

I only used one ladder on a carrier and that was to go the shaft alleys. I only did that once to look for a missing shipyard worker. What can I say - RC Div.  ;D

Have you ever been on an aircraft carrier? ;)

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2008, 07:16 »
You submarine types are funny. In his defense, they are actually stairs.

From my boot camp days, many years ago, ALL stairs were called ladders, even those in a building. Does the "new" Navy use toilet's now and not head's ???

Have you ever been on an aircraft carrier? ;)

Nope, always was a sewer pipe sailor 8)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Samabby

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2008, 08:47 »
 "
From my boot camp days, many years ago, ALL stairs were called ladders, "

Even this old Airdale agrees!  8)

lagrange

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:10 »
Ladders.

DUH 8)

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:57 »
Ahhh, I remember my first look at IKE. I was fresh from NPTU Balston Spa, She was near the end of a COH in Newport News.
It was close to dusk as I walked up the pier.
Welding sparks were flying, people scurrying all about, the smell of heavy machinery lingering in the air, and this massive beautiful gray lady (kind of odd referring to the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower as a female) appearred towering above everything else, and I thought to myself holy S***.

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2008, 11:35 »
Dude,

You're at the point now where you can probably start telling the qualified guys there's nothing they can ask you that will end up in a lookup. Sailors respect that kind of can do attitude and it'll help your quals immensely.

Len how's the Ferry treating you?

Mike

mlslstephens

« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:06 »

Congrats on doing well thus far but that isn't surprising from your prototype days...you're motivated.

As for your quote...don't compare yourself against the slackers and then feel good about yourself.  Find the hottest runner and then whip him in quals. 

Food for thought...Just because your shoes are shinier than the guys next to you, doesn't mean you have shiny shoes.

Good luck in all your quals and oh yeah, thanks for "standing the watch" so the rest of us can "go ashore".

rlbinc

« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:09 »
Yep - that and...

"There's no way I can be greased."

Is another sure-fire way to command their respect.

mlslstephens

« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:12 »
Find the hottest runner and then whip him in quals. 

How sexist of me...find the hottest runner and then whip him/her in quals.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:18 »
Yep - that and...

Yea, that ALWAYS worked on all the subs I was on :P...try it, maybe it will work on a carrier :-\
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2008, 12:19 by PWHoppe »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:44 »
Let's see....as I recall the Quarterdeck watch would announce "sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweep down both fore and aft. Sweep down all lower decks, ladder backs and passageways! Dump all garbage in the dumpsters on the pier! Now sweepers!" 

So now is it "Sweepers, sweepers, use (don't want to say "man") your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweep down both front and back! Sweep down all lower floors, stairways and halls.  Now sweepers." ??
Dave

mlslstephens

« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:49 »
Let's see....as I recall the Quarterdeck watch would announce "sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweep down both fore and aft. Sweep down all lower decks, ladder backs and passageways! Dump all garbage in the dumpsters on the pier! Now sweepers!" 

So now is it "Sweepers, sweepers, use (don't want to say "man") your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweep down both front and back! Sweep down all lower floors, stairways and halls.  Now sweepers." ??

Funny.  Who knows?

On subs it was simple it either went like, "Secure from security violation drill, Commence Field Day" or with no warning just as the galley closed from breakfast..."Reveille, reveille up all bunks, all hands turn two and commence field day"

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2008, 01:42 »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. After 17 years out I finally got this out of my head now you put it back in!!!

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:53 »
Dude,

You're at the point now where you can probably start telling the qualified guys there's nothing they can ask you that will end up in a lookup. Sailors respect that kind of can do attitude and it'll help your quals immensely.

Len how's the Ferry treating you?

Mike

That's a good way to look like a cocky ass and have a bunch of unnecessary lookups. I would rather keep my mouth shut, answer the questions asked and get through the checkouts.

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2008, 08:03 »
That's a good way to look like a cocky ass and have a bunch of unnecessary lookups. I would rather keep my mouth shut, answer the questions asked and get through the checkouts.

Ya think? :)

Mike

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2008, 08:21 »
Yep - that and...

Its a kinder gentler navy today.....Greasing, taping, and other old rites of passage are considered hazing today and will get the perpetrator into much trouble.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2008, 08:30 »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. After 17 years out I finally got this out of my head now you put it back in!!!
Glad to help you out!
Dave

ddklbl

« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2008, 10:09 »
Its a kinder gentler navy today.....Greasing, taping, and other old rites of passage are considered hazing today and will get the perpetrator into much trouble.

It wasn't that long ago we taped my chief up in ERML and chased the MMC back to the goatlocker.  When we got to the goatlocker COB says "Untape ETC and tell him to get up here, now".  We played dumb, and suggested the COB go find ETC himself.  He knew better.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2008, 10:10 by dd »

lagrange

« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2008, 11:02 »
Ha, your first week, my last day.

It's your Navy, shippie. 8)

driver8

« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:54 »
Long, long way to go.  Once you stand a little Feed Pump Watch in the Gulf you'll have earned that nuke pay!

t

Ain't that the truth!!  I used to lose about 25 pounds during a Med Cruise...

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:49 »
WOW. Thread got some responses... :D

As for the "Stairs"... im sorry! they should have a GMK session before graduating prototype on shipboard terms, ceremonies, and what-to-do's. I was quite shocked when I met the CO the other day when I tried to board the officer quarterdeck! :D

DD: what ship were you on... I have heard that story before!

Far as attitude is concerned - coming from a simple plant like marf, to an A1G ... thats... Sobering? I dont have a freaking clue about much, so thank god my quals have powerschool/prototype knowledge :)

Fermi2

« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:30 »
WTF is an A1G?

Mike

Fermi2

« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:50 »
I owe the error to him being only 30% done, he hasn't even finished the A yet, everything after that is theoretical at this point.

Mike

taterhead

« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:29 »
Actually, I don't know that we even asked that question formally, we just thought everyone knew because its on the cover of most of the big heavy books. ;D

Fermi2

« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:42 »
Ah kids these days. They wouldn't have looked on the cover of the big Heavy book. Now text it to them and it to them on the internet and they might remember it.

Mike

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:14 »
I got curious and googled it.  Apparently is is now the A4W/A1G reactor.  Not sure if that has to do with the new core load of lower enrichment or what. 
Dave

Fermi2

« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:31 »
GE designs the Core. S5W Reactors had the S3G Core 3. It was still an S5W reactor.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2008, 01:48 »
I had forgotten about the S3G/S5W thing, but the A1G core designation is new for the A4W - at least to me.  So I guess GE got involved with the A4W when the new cores were installed.  Regardless, it is still the most spacious and clean reactor compartment I've ever seen.  Anyone know if they still use all-volatile chemistry control?  That was a pleasant memory too, but still better than fooling with tri and di.
Dave

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2008, 06:03 »
WTF is an A1G?

Mike

I think it is one of those big gray floating targets...

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:40 »
Not to be rude... but on the cover of EVERY SINGLE BOOK is : "A4W/A1G" :D

I may be dink, but im not an idIot ;) (ok maybe sometimes...)

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008, 07:20 by Cycoticpenguin »

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #40 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:08 »

I may be dink, but im not an idot ;) (ok maybe sometimes...)

Hey,
It was an A4W/A1G back in the 80's also.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:15 »

What's an "idot" ::)

Just busting your chops...Thanks for your service ;D

taterhead

« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:27 »
It's an A4W, I don't care what the book says ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:42 »
It's an A4W plant.

I love busting on NUBs.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:08 »

Well I guess this whole thing proves the second part of your last statement wrong, huh? ;)

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:20 »
What's an "idot" ::)

Just busting your chops...Thanks for your service ;D

oh man how embarrasing :D I fixed it

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #46 on: Jan 26, 2008, 09:10 »
And here's a look-up for ya.....

I can think of two books that you'll use alot in quals that don't have the A4W/A1G stamped on them.

What are those books???

ddklbl

« Reply #47 on: Jan 26, 2008, 09:13 »

I can think of two books that you'll use alot in quals that don't have the A4W/A1G stamped on them.

What are those books???

The laundry and scullery tech manuals.

taterhead

« Reply #48 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:12 »

What are those books???

Are they filled with glossy pages and usually found under the mattress of the one guy in berthing known as the "king", spending at least $50 in each port to replenish his supply of said "books"?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #49 on: Jan 27, 2008, 07:15 »
Those were all good responses :) :)

However, they weren't exactly what I was thinking of....

Fermi2

« Reply #50 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:53 »
Are they filled with glossy pages and usually found under the mattress of the one guy in berthing known as the "king", spending at least $50 in each port to replenish his supply of said "books"?

LMAO!!

I convinced a guy that "use" of said books at least 3 times a day would help him cure his acne.

Mike

taterhead

« Reply #51 on: Jan 27, 2008, 11:04 »
LMAO!!

I convinced a guy that "use" of said books at least 3 times a day would help him cure his acne.

Mike

;D

rlbinc

« Reply #52 on: Jan 27, 2008, 05:23 »

What are those books???

389-0153 and the EDM

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #53 on: Jan 27, 2008, 07:08 »
It's an A4W Rx plant with an A1G Steam plant. Every. Every Nimitz class CVN (at least CVN 68-72) have or had them.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #54 on: Jan 27, 2008, 07:51 »

I never heard A1G uttered or written in any procedure in my years on the Nimitz - those being the early 80's.  It was all A4W...core, plant, everything. 
Dave

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #55 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:27 »
389-0153 and the EDM

Those are correct...but I was thinking Radcon Manual and Water Chem Manual.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #56 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:34 »
Those are correct...but I was thinking Radcon Manual and Water Chem Manual.

I was thinking sub IC manual and NSTM-555, but then again, those don't apply to his situation (like they should). :)

Justin

ddklbl

« Reply #57 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:50 »
I was thinking sub IC manual and NSTM-555, but then again, those don't apply to his situation (like they should). :)

Justin

the triple nickle was actually two volumes.  Submarine firefighting and Surface firefighting

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #58 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:08 »
the triple nickle was actually two volumes.  Submarine firefighting and Surface firefighting

Well I'll be... I didn't know that. Thanks!

Justin

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #59 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:15 »

I never heard A1G uttered or written in any procedure in my years on the Nimitz - those being the early 80's.  It was all A4W...core, plant, everything. 

The front of the Main Turbines on IKE had in big bold letters "General Electric" ie the G in A1G.
Don't remember if the SPM referenced A1G.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?