Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Money honeypot

Author Topic: Money  (Read 12281 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Money
« on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:06 »
couple concerns

1) Im not sure how to enroll my wife into tricare (no one seems to know what to do)
2) how to get my wife a primary care provider (again no one seems to know/care)
3) do spouses get tuition assistance? I have heard both ways, and cant find any literature on it.
4) SRB's are frozen. Does anyone know why or when its supposed to come back?

thanks in advance
-Jordan

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Money
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:43 »
couple concerns

1) Im not sure how to enroll my wife into tricare (no one seems to know what to do)
2) how to get my wife a primary care provider (again no one seems to know/care)
3) do spouses get tuition assistance? I have heard both ways, and cant find any literature on it.
4) SRB's are frozen. Does anyone know why or when its supposed to come back?

thanks in advance
-Jordan

1 first step enroll your wife in DEERS
http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/ProfileFilter.do;jsessionid=HZ9DMj3jy7ZKGHMv1lTRGS8PDCGGdf7Rd81Gh55St3hQ6LQf7tLG!1209655901?puri=%2Fhome%2Foverview%2FEligibility%2FDEERS
2 I don't remember you need to talk to your command TRICARE rep if your on a CVN he/she is usualy some officer in Medical
3. NO there has been a proposed change but I think that went down the drain with the changes they made to TA last year that limited use for the purpose of lowering cost
4. I asked that question today and the answer from the command was that they didn't know I would guess it may not happen until the next quarter

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008, 05:12 »
1 first step enroll your wife in DEERS
http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/ProfileFilter.do;jsessionid=HZ9DMj3jy7ZKGHMv1lTRGS8PDCGGdf7Rd81Gh55St3hQ6LQf7tLG!1209655901?puri=%2Fhome%2Foverview%2FEligibility%2FDEERS
2 I don't remember you need to talk to your command TRICARE rep if your on a CVN he/she is usualy some officer in Medical
3. NO there has been a proposed change but I think that went down the drain with the changes they made to TA last year that limited use for the purpose of lowering cost
4. I asked that question today and the answer from the command was that they didn't know I would guess it may not happen until the next quarter

thank you, pretty much all I needed to know.

honeycomb - I think I made the mistake of going 10 minutes before lunch for the YN. (which IS their lunch time, because they seem to start 15 minutes early -.- )

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008, 07:54 »
Its amazing to me that this sort of information does not get passed down to the troops...

SRB's are frozen because the president vetoed the last part of the defense authorization bill because it had some funky language  in it.  That is why you only got a 3% raise on 1Jan vice 3.5%.  The new bill, with offending language removed, has been passed by the House and is in the Senate.  After the Senate approves it, and the President signs it, we will all get back pay for the 0.5% pay raise still in limbo and SRB's will then be unfrozen. 

Quote from other source..."Defense Bill Passes House (Again)
The President unexpectedly vetoed the FY2008 Defense Authorization Act just after Christmas when White House lawyers discovered a provision that could have allowed lawsuits against the assets of Iraq for the crimes of Saddam Hussein. The veto reflected the President's belief that the current Iraq government needs all of its assets and shouldn't be held responsible for the crimes of the previous regime.

The veto effectively interrupted certain compensation improvements as of January 1, but most new initiatives are unaffected by the veto (see the January 4, 2008 Legislative Update for details).

Some were concerned that the veto could spark a new round of political infighting that might mean even further delay enacting this important defense bill. But those fears dissipated when the House reconvened this week, adjusted the offending provision, and re-passed the bill by an overwhelming majority.

It's expected that the Senate also will promptly do the same when it reconvenes next week so the legislation can be signed into law and Congress can get on with its important work for 2008."

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

taterhead

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:36 »
The first step is to go to your chain of command and ask your LPO or Chief.  If that doesn't work, start working your way up the COC until your questions get answered.

I know these answers, though, and getting her enrolled in DEERS (which is generally part of the ID card process) is the first step, then go to a Tricare Service Center...find one here:

https://www.hnfs.net/TSCLocator/search.aspx?search=tsc

After she is is enrolled, the service center will show you how to choose a PCM.  It's pretty easy.

Spouses do not get TA.  However, if she takes classes on base, then she is eligible for the reduced tuition.  Send her to Navy College Office on base to speak with a couselor.  Yes, she can go there by herself (she doesn't need you).

The other gouge is good for reenlistment payments.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:28 »
The first step is to go to your chain of command and ask your LPO or Chief.  If that doesn't work, start working your way up the COC until your questions get answered.

I know these answers, though, and getting her enrolled in DEERS (which is generally part of the ID card process) is the first step, then go to a Tricare Service Center...find one here:

https://www.hnfs.net/TSCLocator/search.aspx?search=tsc

After she is is enrolled, the service center will show you how to choose a PCM.  It's pretty easy.

Spouses do not get TA.  However, if she takes classes on base, then she is eligible for the reduced tuition.  Send her to Navy College Office on base to speak with a couselor.  Yes, she can go there by herself (she doesn't need you).

The other gouge is good for reenlistment payments.

No offence to the poster but I must assume you are not currently or in recent history stationed on an east coast CVN. Your COC will be nearly useless. The only thing they care about is where you are on your quals. Problems with family rate about as low as what they are going to have for breakfast next week.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:23 »
No offence to the poster but I must assume you are not currently or in recent history stationed on an east coast CVN. Your COC will be nearly useless. The only thing they care about is where you are on your quals. Problems with family rate about as low as what they are going to have for breakfast next week.

When I was on Ike, I cared about my guys, as did most of my counterparts.... 

I feel bad for you if your experiences are contrary....Chain of Command should care.  Starting with the LPO on up to the Reactor Officer.

If a sailor has to worry about family issues, then he won't do his job as well as he could/should.   Everyone loses.

IKE used to have a two week "School of ship" Indoc program that you attended shortly after checking onboard where the people who could answer your questions about all kinds of programs came to you. 

Where's the RT LCPO???  Ask him what you need to do
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

taterhead

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:54 »

East Coast and West Coast CVNs, for that matter.

I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say that the COC on all east coast CVNs don't care about family issues.  I would counter that, as a former member of a chain of command, we hardly heard about questions like this until there was some sort of emergency...ie. My wife was in a car accident and I never had her put into DEERS.

This is a grownup outfit, for all of the shenanigans associated with it.  If one isn't aggressive about getting the answers needed, then one will always be in some sort of reactive mode, which will make one appear to be pretty irresponsible.

Remember, its your family.  Take charge of getting them the services they need.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:29 »
Heres the deal, I DID go up my COC. They all said they werent sure of how to set it up, so they sent me away to pester the YN's. the YN's gave me a blank look (after waiting at a counter for about an Hour), and said to go to tricare.com. Which helps me not, and gets annoying in a heart beat.

That said, thank you everyone for the great information. Im REALLY glad I'm a member of this site, you guys have saved my butt a couple times.

thanks!

EDIT: wife enrolled in Tricare with a PCM now. Awesome :)
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008, 03:36 by Cycoticpenguin »

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:37 »
Does your command have an ombudsman?  This is often the wife of someone on the ship - often a Chief's wife - who can help you with issues like this.
Dave

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:41 »
Does your command have an ombudsman?  This is often the wife of someone on the ship - often a Chief's wife - who can help you with issues like this.

Yes, but given to the ship's status... people arent rather willing to help me out. Im pretty sure I have everything under control for now.

taterhead

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:30 »

A carrier has a whole bunch of ombudsmen, actually, like 4 or 5 usually.

Anyhow, I am glad your questions were answered.  For what it's worth, if you accept crappy service from the chain of command, you will continue to receive it.  Ask your question every day until it is answered.  Make them work for that Eval/FITREP bullet.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:07 »
Re-enlistment moratorium to be relaxed soon.

Bush Signs Fiscal 2008 Defense Budget Legislation Into Law

By Donna Miles
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Jan. 28, 2008 – President Bush signed the long-delayed and sometimes-contentious fiscal 2008 National Defense Authorization Act into law today.
The Senate passed a $696 billion 2008 defense authorization bill Jan. 22. It includes a 3.5 percent military pay raise and provisions to improve health care and benefits for wounded troops and veterans.

“Today, I have signed into law H.R. 4986, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008,” Bush said in a statement released by the White House. “The act authorizes funding for the defense of the United States and its interests abroad, for military construction, and for national security-related energy programs.”

The fiscal 2008 defense budget has been laden with challenges, from Congress’ inclusion of non-defense-related earmarks to its insertion of controversial language regarding Iraq. Bush announced Dec. 28 that he wouldn’t sign the bill until it was revised.

Instead, the president signed an executive order authorizing a 3 percent military pay raise. The amount was 0.5 percent lower than the 3.5 percent rate provided for in the authorization act, but took effect Jan. 1.

All pays and incentives included in the authorization act will be retroactive to Jan. 1, a defense official said.

White House Press Secretary Dana Perino told reporters today Bush was gratified that Congress moved forward with the budget bill.

“He appreciates the cooperation of both House and Senate leaders to quickly address the concerns raised by the president over the Christmas holiday,” she said at the White House. “Congress passed the legislation swiftly, and that is a very good thing for our troops and the Iraqi people.” Rolling Eyes

The bill became law just a week before the next budget cycle begins as Bush sends his fiscal 2009 request to Capitol Hill. That budget proposal, along with a requested $70 billion in emergency war spending, is expected to be delivered to Congress Feb. 4.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman told reporters today the president plans to ask for $70 billion to fund the global war on terror, including operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, for the first months of fiscal 2009.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:53 »
YEEE HAWW! :D

thanks sir :)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2008, 05:19 »
YEEE HAWW! :D

thanks sir :)

Hurry! Run! Raise your right hand!  ;D

Justin

ddklbl

« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:06 »
Hurry! Run! Raise your right hand!  ;D

Justin

You and I bailed.  Someone needs to stay in.

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:55 »
YeeHaww on a 3% raise...Bro, inflation is at least 6%.  Yeehaw to a 3% pay cut?  Might want to study economics once you get qualed.  Milton Friedman is my favorite (RIP).  That is a good start.  Monitary History of the US, and Capitalism and Freedom.  Set you straight. 

Two books and you'll know about economics 99% of the population and most degreed economist.  It's one thing to earn the money, most don't know how to keep it (or defend it). 
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

taterhead

« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2008, 07:34 »
YeeHaww on a 3% raise...Bro, inflation is at least 6%.  Yeehaw to a 3% pay cut?  Might want to study economics once you get qualed.  Milton Friedman is my favorite (RIP).  That is a good start.  Monitary History of the US, and Capitalism and Freedom.  Set you straight. 

Two books and you'll know about economics 99% of the population and most degreed economist.  It's one thing to earn the money, most don't know how to keep it (or defend it). 

I think he is yeehawing his SRB. 

Just remember that yeehaw when you are field-daying in the Gulf and start to feel like whining... :P
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2008, 07:35 by taterhead »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:01 »
You and I bailed.  Someone needs to stay in.

Indeed!

Justin

ddklbl

« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2008, 12:14 »
Just remember that yeehaw when you are field-daying in the Gulf and start to feel like whining... :P

Did you say field day or feed pump watch?  There is a difference.  One is extra, arguably.  The other will be his obligation.  Both would be as equally shitacious.

taterhead

« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2008, 12:27 »
Did you say field day or feed pump watch?  There is a difference.  One is extra, arguably.  The other will be his obligation.  Both would be as equally shitacious.

Both have been known to elicit loud whining from Sailors, myself not excluded. 

But, it is likely that he will be field-daying feed pump watch, which is double the fun. ;D

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2008, 03:19 »

by the time the ship will be in the Gulf, I will probably PPWS... :D (im not exaggerating at all, its going to be a while...).

DD - you make it sound like I dont want to whine RIGHT NOW :D

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:53 »
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/6124BC04-0BC3-4532-B25C-C8299E9F117F/0/NAV08037.txt

FYI.....

The above link is for the NAVADMIN re-authorizing bonuses and other special pays.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:55 »
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/6124BC04-0BC3-4532-B25C-C8299E9F117F/0/NAV08037.txt

FYI.....

The above link is for the NAVADMIN re-authorizing bonuses and other special pays.
sweet! thank you sir :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?